Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:10 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

I hear of some really extreme attempts to avoid any exposure with even a molecule of coronavirus- from wearing your mask in the car after grocery shopping because the there might be virus on the plastic bag and now it is circulating in the air in your vehicle, to disinfecting your mail and mailbox, to jumping into the shower after a walk during which you passed by someone for a second.

Healthy and young (or even relatively young bodies) are designed to fight off bacteria and viruses, and we do so all the time. We're not aware of it, but our bodies are a war zone as our defense system attacks microscopic invaders. It only becomes a problem if we are immuno-suppressed or quite old, when our systems are less effective.

That said, it appears that millions of people had the virus and didn't even know it. (One prison tested, and 96% had had it.) With the understanding that we of course will still protect the vulnerable (continuing quarantine on old-folks places), wouldn't it be good to have some tiny exposure to virus, such as that we might get walking a few feet behind him and breathing in his expelled air/surface cells, which are now diffused through the air), and allowing our bodies to build antibodies to attack this small viral load? I'm not saying it's a smart idea to have an infected person sneeze in your face, but really, is it wise (or even possible) to avoid total exposure to this virus?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Yes.

But obviously you can’t be 100% safe from the virus without taking extreme measures.

How much precautions you take should depend on your health and the health of those in your household. My wife is a diabetic with chronic kidney disease I am being very cautious.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:27 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thanks for your opinion without absolutely nothing to back it up or explain it. Are you under the impression that people should just follow like lemmings without questioning? Opposing views or even raising a question is VERBOTEN? (And are you a liberal?)
You mean like your hundreds of posts? Do you work? Or just sit on your rear and collect disability?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You mean like your hundreds of posts? Do you work? Or just sit on your rear and collect disability?
Dang! You liberals get very insulting if someone deviates from the insistence that we should all hunker down by questioning whether it's the right thing to do.

And to answer your question, NO....I am not on disability. I worked for more than 40 years, and built up a successful business that employed other people. If I had been caught up in this, my business would have failed after a few months without revenue (I paid a lot for my commercial space and other fixed costs), and I would not only have lost my business but my employees would all be without jobs.

Announcement: To leftists who seek to smack me in the face by raising a valid question about total lockdown and the immune system, I will not be replying. I would like to hear from moderates and conservatives who are open to discussing a question that deviates from the liberal mantra. Thank you.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes.

But obviously you can’t be 100% safe from the virus without taking extreme measures.

How much precautions you take should depend on your health and the health of those in your household. My wife is a diabetic with chronic kidney disease I am being very cautious.
But I don't think you can be 100% safe from the virus even if you DO take extreme measures. It is very likely that in the course of the day, you will touch a surface that has the virus, and then will inadvertently touch your face before you have a chance to wash your hands. In fact, that is probably what happened with the 96% of that prison who had it. Yet, very few got sick (or anything beyond mildly sick).

With your particular situation with your wife, yes....you have to be extra cautious. That's why I made the distinction between healthy people and those with poor(er) immune systems. The latter have to still exercise extreme caution, particularly those in senior facilities. But for those of us who have no medical conditions (I just knocked wood!), is opening a plastic bag of bagels that an infected stock boy MIGHT have touched the day before (or someone earlier in the chain 2 days before) really that much of a risk to a healthy, youngish person?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:57 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,449 times
Quote:
In fact, that is probably what happened with the 96% of that prison who had it. Yet, very few got sick (or anything beyond mildly sick).
I am pretty sure the situation with the prison was that 96% of the prisoners that tested positive for the virus were asymptomatic, not that 96% of the prisoners had the virus.

Last edited by Robert5; 05-01-2020 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-01-2020, 06:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
I hear of some really extreme attempts to avoid any exposure with even a molecule of coronavirus- from wearing your mask in the car after grocery shopping because the there might be virus on the plastic bag and now it is circulating in the air in your vehicle, to disinfecting your mail and mailbox, to jumping into the shower after a walk during which you passed by someone for a second.

Healthy and young (or even relatively young bodies) are designed to fight off bacteria and viruses, and we do so all the time. We're not aware of it, but our bodies are a war zone as our defense system attacks microscopic invaders. It only becomes a problem if we are immuno-suppressed or quite old, when our systems are less effective.

That said, it appears that millions of people had the virus and didn't even know it. (One prison tested, and 96% had had it.) With the understanding that we of course will still protect the vulnerable (continuing quarantine on old-folks places), wouldn't it be good to have some tiny exposure to virus, such as that we might get walking a few feet behind him and breathing in his expelled air/surface cells, which are now diffused through the air), and allowing our bodies to build antibodies to attack this small viral load? I'm not saying it's a smart idea to have an infected person sneeze in your face, but really, is it wise (or even possible) to avoid total exposure to this virus?
There are at least a couple of doctors that post here.
Personally, I think that they are the only people qualified to answer your question.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I am pretty sure the situation with the prison was that 96% of the prisoners that tested positive for the virus were asymptomatic, not that 96% of the prisoners had the virus.
Ah....I thought it was 96% who had it. But either way, if 96% of the prisoners who had it were asymptomatic, it still supports my premise: that this virus, for the healthy people, is practically harmless (certainly not lethal, except in rare instances), and that some exposure to an itsy-bitsy of it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Let the body's defenses take over and build antibodies. The secondary benefit to that, and it would be a big one, is that more people would have antibodies in their blood (plasma?) that they could donate to help treat the elderly who DO indeed fall victim to this virus.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are at least a couple of doctors that post here.
Personally, I think that they are the only people qualified to answer your question.
OK. I hope they show up to do so!

Old 05-01-2020, 07:12 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Quote:

I will stop worrying and not protecting my family till a vaccine comes out or we can get an antibody test to see if we have immunity.

We are a family of non-smokers or vapors. If you have smoked or started vaping you need to be worried as your lungs are weaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies