Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just an FYI, liberals and/or Democrats have been brainwashed to believe that conservatives and/or Republicans are actually evil people. The mainstream media and Hollywood have convinced them of this.

Of course the opposite of this is that we believe liberals and/or Democrats are bleeding-hearted morons, so there's that.

Piece of advice, don't put anything political of FB and block the liberal morons who put things on FB as well.
That is because they are blind to the issues. I have seen some think the summer 2016 shooting of a group home worker by a cop (USA Today) was entirely justified because every other case of police brutality was justified. I lost a friend because of that line of thinking. I knew him from school and Boy Scouts and he was NYPD and said "I cannot imagine that." I think I replied, "But I wouldn't want to shoot someone with their hands up, trying to calm down an Autistic person who allegedly was just causing an issue "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
People get tired of other peoples nonsense. Those thinking this is the flu...honestly I just dont have patience for that kind of stupidity in my friends (please note the OP doesn't indicate what they are posting, so I do not mean this applies to them). And once someone starts getting really down into the dumb of stuff like that, its just not worth the effort of being friends with them anymore. They believe the most crazy conspiracies.
Most of what you CNN are conspiracies and you don't question it. CNN literally had Chris Cuomo act like he had the virus, broke quarantine, got in a fight with an old man to where there's an official police report, got his wife and kid sick, but CNN pays it no attention at all and then Chris wants to lecture us about going outside?

And you believe it. Hook line sinker. Amazing.

But yet, you'll get mad if some doctor who's not on CNN says this virus isn't all that bad.

I've seen this too on my feed. People get so angry when someone posts an alternative POV. But instead of getting angry, why not just listen instead of getting angry about it and believing news that they tell you on a Tell-Lie-Vision.

For me, I keep my politics and opinions off Facebook. Facebook to me, is where people read a headline without clicking the article and go with the headline and panic and freak out. Instead of taking 5 mins to research it themselves. We live in an era where we have mini-computers connected to the internet and people still don't bother to research things that impact them. That to me is astonishing.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta loca View Post

Facebook is all fake anyway.

Most social media use is a vanity stroke competition of who can be the most superficial and fake. People purposefully pose for pictures to say "look at me!" and where I have traveled, what I have purchased, etc. Individuals literally walk off of cliffs to try to get that ultimate photo op that will make their "followers" jealous for 30 seconds.

I personally know of couples who HATE each other yet post all the time on social media how much their relationship is perfect and happy. All superficial and fake. All about appearances.......

Old 05-06-2020, 09:40 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Most social media use is a vanity stroke competition of who can be the most superficial and fake. People purposefully pose for pictures to say "look at me!" and where I have traveled, what I have purchased, etc. Individuals literally walk off of cliffs to try to get that ultimate photo op that will make their "followers" jealous for 30 seconds.

I personally know of couples who HATE each other yet post all the time on social media how much their relationship is perfect and happy. All superficial and fake. All about appearances.......
Couldn't agree more. I mainly use social media for staying in touch with my family. But I keep my relationship and political views off social media.

Even worse is being black and sometimes going against the Democratic party (which I'm not a fan of lately). I posted something against Obama once and I had several white liberal friends tried to shame me for thinking outside the box.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Couldn't agree more. I mainly use social media for staying in touch with my family. But I keep my relationship and political views off social media.

Even worse is being black and sometimes going against the Democratic party (which I'm not a fan of lately). I posted something against Obama once and I had several white liberal friends tried to shame me for thinking outside the box.

Yep. If you deviate from any predefined narrative people will lose it. No room for thinking outside the box and the thought police will be out to shame you quickly........

Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Many friendships are pretty fickle.. if a person stops being your friend because they disagree with you, they weren't much of a friend, or they are psychologically unstable. Grow up. Not everyone thinks the same way you do.
All social media friendships are fickle. I've lived in foreign countries before and when doing so, I listened to their country's music. Back in America I was visiting a friend who has a fb account. This friend was showing me pix of some hot chick who was met on-line. The picture was actually of a famous woman who I listened to her music while in her country.

This should indicate that there are numbers of individuals on fb and other social media platforms who are using other individuals pix as their own. There are also a number of individuals on fb and other social media platforms who are actually AI projects.

99.9% is all lies, deceit and self obsessed.

Why would anyone who doesn't lie, deceive and are self obsessed want to even be on fb? That's primarily why I'm not on it.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:01 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
"...if a person stops being your friend because they disagree with you, they weren't much of a friend..."

Gotta disagree - taken to the extreme, for instance, if I stop being your friend because I find out you beat your wife on weekends - that's not me being "not much of a friend."

Sometimes - ya gotta look in the mirror, and ask yourself if you are worthy "friend" material. Certain actions aren't up for popular vote.

It's not always an even playing field. You could, in fact, be SO wrong and SO stubborn about a thing as to render ALL of your actions questionable - and now we can't be friends.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:54 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Well let's think about this: what is the point of posting political things on FB?

- Complaining/venting
- Trying to get others to complain too / looking for solidarity
- Trying to change someone's mind or influence others

You can complain about something without it being 'political.' Like, "I'm feeling separated and distant and miss my friends and family and times spent in each other's company." (No one is going to disagree with that.)

But if you choose to talk about political conspiracies, "it's all a hoax," "the deep state is creating this to take our minds so we become the zombie apocalypse and they eat our first born," "they just want us all hidden away because...." well you should expect that's going to get some attention, and not the good kind. Don't be surprised when it causes people in your network to think maybe, just maybe, you're a whackjob not tethered to reality and aren't understanding that there really is a virus, it does spread quickly, a lot of people have died, and people don't want to put themselves at undo risk.

No one's mind is going to be changed, so posting political stuff isn't really helping anything.

Surely you can engage your friends and acquaintances in more amusing ways.

And if you can't, just can't stop posting political stuff, then either make a special subgroup ("list") of people who you know share the same political opinion/side as you do and then post it where they're the ones who see it and not the ones who you know won't appreciate it. Or, less work, join one of the many groups on FB for things you're interested in, like politics or "it's all a hoax." There are hundreds of thousands of groups.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've not lost any friends over this. Honestly, first of all, my social circle is nearly entirely Republican based on where I'm from and where I've lived and who my family is, so there were never many Democrats to begin with.

In the past they've already unfriended me over posts about illegal immigration, abortion, and gay marriage and those were people I met in college from other states. I really don't know a single non-black person in Louisiana or West Virginia who would stop being friends over someone being conservative or pro-Trump because in that case they would be left with zero friends and probably will have to disown their family. Here in the South, outside the black community, we don't talk about the crazy Trump supporting family member, we talk about the crazy insane liberal in the family....

I'm actually more open minded that people think, I don't mind being friends with a liberal if they don't impose their views on me, the only situation is something extreme, like I really would unfriend someone if they actually worked for Planned Parenthood or took a job in an abortion clinic or actively assisted in illegal immigration.

Having said this, I'm kind of quiet on the Chinese Virus compared to other issues since I also work in health care. Most of my family and friends in other fields totally are against wearing masks, etc and I also don't think they should be mandatory, but I actually do support our liberal governor's stay at home order though it probably doesn't need to be statewide since the rural parishes should be exempt. But among my friends it does seem like whether you wear a mask or not shows if you are pro-Trump or anti-Trump. I can personally believe in masks and social distancing without believing it should be dictated by the government.

What about conservative Republicans who hire illegals. Very common, including the President.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:30 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
But it’s ok to wish the virus on people?
No, but thats not relevant, in that case you should want to not associate with them but you dont care, they do. Its not a contest one thing doesnt justify the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies