Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 08:26 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

When the Quorum Report says she started the Go Fund Me before she opened the shop informs me this was a stunt from start to finish.

And again, If Abbott was against anyone being arrested, why was that penalty included in his order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 08:46 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
All of these puffed-up pompous casuists need to be booted out of office, at the earliest opportunity. We only have one political division now: pro-quarantine, or anti. Abortion, guns, taxes, immigration, trade, healthcare? All of them are secondary issues now.

Liberal or conservative... it doesn't matter. Are we going to have a quarantined society, or a functioning one? And are we going to jail or otherwise censure and police people for the gross flagrancy of daring to go about their lives, or are we not?
Truly excellent. I think some of these people have long felt that we are "wasteful" and want to change our lifestyle. People would not bite because of the threat of "climate change." This is their chance. Another post which I excerpted says it all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The act of entering the store for the purposes of buying non-essential items (like paint or carpet) turns the entire store into a vector for disease. That means people who actually do need something are put at additional unnecessary risk of infection due to the selfishness of the idiots. Buying paint, especially custom-mixed paint is the apex of stupidity. You’re forcing employees who should be safe at home to cater to your selfish needs at their expense and risk.

The intent of the order was to provide a skeleton crew for minimum operations.

The effect of allowing the depot to run wild with non-necessary sales is that they’re getting an unfair advantage over smaller stores and that makes it even more likely that they’ll have even less competition when life returns to normal. Hopefully the idiots really really like the depot, because they’re likely to not have any competition at all when this is over. And, btw, that’s not capitalism, nor is it a free market.
My response was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Excuse me. You are describing the conditions that prisoners live under because they are being punished for committing a crime. These days we treat hardened criminals better.

So people should essentially be on meager rations and have no enjoyment until Gretchen Whitmer is good and ready?
This is the chance that these change advocates have been waiting for. It is not new. It existed in the early 1970s, with the Club of Rome report, affiliated with MIT (link, excerpt below):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club of Rome book extract
The message of this book still holds today: The earth’s interlocking resources – the global system of nature in which we all live – probably cannot support present rates of economic and population growth much beyond the year 2100, if that long, even with advanced technology. In the summer of 1970, an international team of researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology began a study of the implications of continued worldwide growth. They examined the five basic factors that determine and, in their interactions, ultimately limit growth on this planet-population increase, agricultural production, nonrenewable resource depletion, industrial output, and pollution generation.
So I draw a direct line from the Club of Rome mentality, borne of guilt from the post-WW II growth and affluence, to the steps taken recently, nominally against the pandemic.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:04 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
When the Quorum Report says she started the Go Fund Me before she opened the shop informs me this was a stunt from start to finish.

And again, If Abbott was against anyone being arrested, why was that penalty included in his order?
Arrest was not included in the order. The order authorized fines and license revocation from what I’ve gathered.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Arrest was not included in the order. The order authorized fines and license revocation from what I’ve gathered.
The jailing resulted from contempt of court when she openly told the judge she was not obeying his diktat and apologizing.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:56 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Quote:
The jailing resulted from contempt of court when she openly told the judge she was not obeying his diktat and apologizing.
She openly defied a court order. She made it clear to everyone that she was going to do things her way. This is her right but no one who really knows about his case should be surprised she was arrested. All other options were exhausted so the judge placed her in jail. She did it for the publicity and it paid off.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:52 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
My morning paper informed me that even the sheriff of Montgomery County, Texas said arrest was a matter of last resort. Jail time of 180 days and a $1000 fine.

This lady was given every opportunity by the judge to back down. The 2 from Laredo who were were arrested last month were released on bail.

Who will enforce any law or rule if the governor changes his mind every other day? Or over rides local officials?

Old 05-09-2020, 11:05 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Now I know why a lot of jails all around the country are releasing criminals and felons to free up jail space.

So they can start placing small business owners, who don't want their business to go under, in jail.

Business owners! remember this in Nov election.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Now I know why a lot of jails all around the country are releasing criminals and felons to free up jail space.

So they can start placing small business owners, who don't want their business to go under, in jail.
These rapists at bottom have a good heart. After all the small business owners want everyone to die of Covid so they can go into the mortuary business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Business owners! remember this in Nov election.
Hopefully they will.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
The gofundme account was opened before she re-opened.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:56 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
These rapists at bottom have a good heart. After all the small business owners want everyone to die of Covid so they can go into the mortuary business.

Hopefully they will.
are you posting all these messages from your smartphone while waiting in line at huge chain stores like Costco/Home Depot/Walmart/Sams Club with a few hundred other people?

That is very unsafe you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies