Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:09 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Like, say you have a Mexican-themed party, especially in college, they'll completely lose it and talk about how bad it is and demand an apology. Do these retards not realize what they call cultural appropriation has been used by all cultures since ancient times? Heck, that's exactly why we as a species advanced. Just look at say Rome and Greece, the Romans based a lot of their myths and characters from Greece (Heracles turning into Hercules etc). Or countries such as Japan, Korea based their writing and language and myths and legends off of Chinese ones.

It's always been a very common thing for all cultures to do, so why now is it considered such a big problem? So someone wants to have say a Mexican, or Chinese or Japanese themed party, why do they consider that somehow bad? If anything, shouldn't they be happy people want to celebrate other cultures?
I often wonder about that myself.

I guess cultural identity is attached to a sense of belonging, usually through family ties or deep emotional connections. Home suggests an emotional place – somewhere you truly belong.

I am one of those third culture kids. Meaning, I was raised in a culture other than my parents' or the culture of their country of nationality, and live in such an environment during a significant part of my early development years. I am an American citizen, (born in Oklahoma city, and am not an immigrant. Even my grandparents were born in the United states), but I was raised elsewhere.

Growing up, (well, in three different places at least) everybody is foreign, so no one is foreign. For example, If a boy's mother is from Finland, father from Senegal, and the boy lives in neither, his identity becomes a matter of choice. It is just that simple.

I personally, simply follow the culture of the country that I have lived my life in and maintain whatever aspects of my parents cultures appeal to me.

How I deal with people is rather simple: The country's native culture is extremely broad minded and accepting and there is no need to act like some sort of cheerleader for another land.

Just get on with your life and stop bothering people about your identity. I don't need to know or want to know.

For people who want to know my root, cultural and ethnic background, I tell them because it is a good conversation starter.

No need to be offended by every little thing. Some people can be very territorial about this whole "cultural" thing. Very odd to me and this is something I can never relate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:11 AM

994 posts, read 502,495 times
This is what crosses what passes for your mind? Really?

Bless your heart.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Like, say you have a Mexican-themed party, especially in college, they'll completely lose it and talk about how bad it is and demand an apology. Do these retards not realize what they call cultural appropriation has been used by all cultures since ancient times? Heck, that's exactly why we as a species advanced. Just look at say Rome and Greece, the Romans based a lot of their myths and characters from Greece (Heracles turning into Hercules etc). Or countries such as Japan, Korea based their writing and language and myths and legends off of Chinese ones.

It's always been a very common thing for all cultures to do, so why now is it considered such a big problem? So someone wants to have say a Mexican, or Chinese or Japanese themed party, why do they consider that somehow bad? If anything, shouldn't they be happy people want to celebrate other cultures?
This is one of those 'issues' that almost never occurs except in the media, which uses it to get ratings and get people hyped up. In reality, there are very, very few people who care about this sort of thing or who would go nuts over a themed party. An issue that is a non-issue.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:19 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
This is one of those 'issues' that almost never occurs except in the media, which uses it to get ratings and get people hyped up. In reality, there are very, very few people who care about this sort of thing or who would go nuts over a themed party. An issue that is a non-issue.
So true.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
getting upset is a way of life for them.
Outrage is the national sport that is not limited to SJW.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Outrage is the national sport that is not limited to SJW.
There are almost no people who would be upset over this type of party. The handful that are, are nuts, in my view. The only widespread outrage I’m seeing is reactionaries on the conservative side buying this sort of ‘news’ hook, line and sinker.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:56 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Two Portland-based women were forced to shut down their burrito food cart over accusations of cultural appropriation and recipe stealing.

Liz “LC” Connelly and Kali Wilgus’ Kooks Burritos business was featured in the Willamette Week on May 16. During the interview, Connelly described how the duo made their own tortillas after taking a trip to Puerto Nuevo, Mexico, in December and obtaining information on the process.

The method by which the two non-Hispanic white women obtained the information on tortilla making is questionable.

“I picked the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever, and they showed me a little of what they did,” Connelly told the Willamette Week. “They told us the basic ingredients, and we saw them moving and stretching the dough similar to how pizza makers do before rolling it out with rolling pins.”
Such Social Justice! Yay for Portland! Are all the Italian, Chinese, Greek, Ethiopian, Thai, Mexican and other "ethnic" restaurants all going to be closed too?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/portl...b062f96a348181

Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 PM

2,180 posts, read 641,103 times
Quote:

There's no such thing as "Mexican culture," though, if there's no such thing as "American" or "Canadian" culture.

Mexico was an immigration-destination for multiple peoples and cultures. Especially today even, with many Latin Americans living in Mexico with their own unique customs. And besides, the way someone from Chiapas lives vs. DF vs. Baja is going to be quite different.

But also, "cultural appropriation" is bull crap. Unless someone is claiming that they CREATED or ORIGINATED something, it's not appropriation in a problematic sense.

Cultural appropriation is also one step removed from race-determinism. Literal Nazi stuff. You've got second generation "Mexican Americans" who can barely speak Spanish complaining about white people starting a taco stand, and thinking that because THEY have heritage that traces back to the origination (despite growing up in the US with a pale imitation of Mexican cultural experience)... THEY would be OK to start a "Mexican restaurant."

Just more currency for the victimhood peddlers.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:23 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I always sort viewed this subject as something that can be complimentary to another culture, I mean assuming they aren't mocking it. I see nothing wrong with having Mexican themed parties.

The whole SJW movement is a bunch of crapola. It's got nothing to do with actually caring about people, it's just ways to virtue signal and moral preen. It makes people feel high and mighty and gives them some kind of sense of superiority.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:56 PM

994 posts, read 502,495 times
I'm seriously asking - what is the point - what is the question? It reads like a bitter "why can't I do it" attitude. Is that the most important thing in life?

I wonder what your priest/preacher etc would say about this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies