Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 03:01 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Exactly. Africans wearing suits and ties is cultural appropriation.
What about speaking English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 03:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I often wonder about that myself.

I guess cultural identity is attached to a sense of belonging, usually through family ties or deep emotional connections. Home suggests an emotional place – somewhere you truly belong.

I am one of those third culture kids. Meaning, I was raised in a culture other than my parents' or the culture of their country of nationality, and live in such an environment during a significant part of my early development years. I am an American citizen, (born in Oklahoma city, and am not an immigrant. Even my grandparents were born in the United states), but I was raised elsewhere.

Growing up, (well, in three different places at least) everybody is foreign, so no one is foreign. For example, If a boy's mother is from Finland, father from Senegal, and the boy lives in neither, his identity becomes a matter of choice. It is just that simple.

I personally, simply follow the culture of the country that I have lived my life in and maintain whatever aspects of my parents cultures appeal to me.

How I deal with people is rather simple: The country's native culture is extremely broad minded and accepting and there is no need to act like some sort of cheerleader for another land.

Just get on with your life and stop bothering people about your identity. I don't need to know or want to know.

For people who want to know my root, cultural and ethnic background, I tell them because it is a good conversation starter.

No need to be offended by every little thing. Some people can be very territorial about this whole "cultural" thing. Very odd to me and this is something I can never relate to.
A good example of this cultural appropriation bull crap is on Yale University which took place 4 years ago with a Yale professor and late stage millennial students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMVx2C5_Wg

I don't like the identity stuff and I don't agree with pushing identity down peoples throats. I also don't agree with others forcing and telling others not to represent cultures that's not thier own. I grew up in NYC, and I grew up with Puerto Ricans. I grew up as an honary Puerto Ricans due to my my close friends, first girlfriend and neighbors who accepted me as part of their culture, some assumed that I was Puerto Rican, but I wasn't. Family is from Colombia and Venezuela. With that said my girlfriend who is African American does not like me accepting Puerto Rico as an honary culture, adn she wants me to put black first. Mind you, I'm proud of my mixed race heritage of African, European and indegenious upbringing.

The SJW is nothing more than a secular version of a religious moralist. Also SJW's suffer from depression and anxiety and need some real mental help.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:36 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
A good example of this cultural appropriation bull crap is on Yale University which took place 4 years ago with a Yale professor and late stage millennial students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMVx2C5_Wg

I don't like the identity stuff and I don't agree with pushing identity down peoples throats. I also don't agree with others forcing and telling others not to represent cultures that's not thier own. I grew up in NYC, and I grew up with Puerto Ricans. I grew up as an honary Puerto Ricans due to my my close friends, first girlfriend and neighbors who accepted me as part of their culture, some assumed that I was Puerto Rican, but I wasn't. Family is from Colombia and Venezuela. With that said my girlfriend who is African American does not like me accepting Puerto Rico as an honary culture, adn she wants me to put black first. Mind you, I'm proud of my mixed race heritage of African, European and indegenious upbringing.

The SJW is nothing more than a secular version of a religious moralist. Also SJW's suffer from depression and anxiety and need some real mental help.
Secularism and disdain for Christianity to the far left crowd is the new religion. The irony of which is probably lost on them.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 PM

34,234 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Secularism and disdain for Christianity to the far left crowd is the new religion. The irony of which is probably lost on them.
And demonizing Man for climate change. Yet they want all the conveniences of a modern, industrialized lifestyle. They speak using the word "like" before every other word.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Isn't it usually the people of the culture who are the strongest critics of 'cultural appropriation'?

Old 05-07-2020, 08:01 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Getting upset because someone else has dreadlocks or big hoop earrings, or whatever other "cultural" thing who you don't think should says more about you than them. MYOFB.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:01 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Many people are proud of their own culture, so seeing another culture adopt the same behaviors is probably either cute or grating, depending on who is doing the adopting.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Like, say you have a Mexican-themed party, especially in college, they'll completely lose it and talk about how bad it is and demand an apology. Do these people not realize what they call cultural appropriation has been used by all cultures since ancient times? Heck, that's exactly why we as a species advanced. Just look at say Rome and Greece, the Romans based a lot of their myths and characters from Greece (Heracles turning into Hercules etc). Or countries such as Japan, Korea based their writing and language and myths and legends off of Chinese ones.

It's always been a very common thing for all cultures to do, so why now is it considered such a big problem? So someone wants to have say a Mexican, or Chinese or Japanese themed party, why do they consider that somehow bad? If anything, shouldn't they be happy people want to celebrate other cultures?
If people had a life, it wouldn't bother anyone ... board 'em has set in and has corroded people's brain cells.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Getting upset because someone else has dreadlocks or big hoop earrings, or whatever other "cultural" thing who you don't think should says more about you than them. MYOFB.
The same people who demand normalizing these things then flip their lid when they become normalized and other people start accepting and adopting them.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:24 PM

16 posts, read 4,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Many people are proud of their own culture, so seeing another culture adopt the same behaviors is probably either cute or grating, depending on who is doing the adopting.
I will agree with the grating part. So, depending on the situation, I might partially side with an SJW crying foul on the cultural appropriation part. However, if they are doing it while sipping tea, their argument doesn't carry as much weight seeing as how tea has such strong historical ties with China and even India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies