Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is not reasonable and probable to think someone has just committed a felony when they are merely walking along and committing no crime at all.

According to your logic, anyone can arrest anyone at any time.
The courts will hash this one out - but to me, it seems "reasonable" that this is the guy who stole his gun, and someone else's gun, and committed other crimes in the neighborhood that caused cops to be called 18 times in the previous 2 months.

The neighborhood was under a bit of a crime wave, and considering the McMichaels had seen video of him in the home a few times, it certainly seems "reasonable" to me to think he was behind some or all of the crimes recently committed.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:52 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The dumbest one here paid the ultimate price.

Should Arbery have run up to the guy and grabbed his firearm? He is dead. You can assume he'd be dead if he did not. But that is spoculation.

Seems more people care about who did wrong here than whether or not Arbery should have grabbed at someone's firearm. They seem to care less about his life than convicting these guys following him or others that may get into a similar situation.

Not one person here that is siding with Arbery has said he should not have charged at an armed man. That says a lot.

I'll say this. If you're yards away from someone that is armed don't run up to them and try to take their firearm. It will not likely end well for you. Whether or not you think they're a good or bad guy.

Under GA law Arbery was within his rights to defend himself however he chose. Under GA law the McMichaels were committing aggravated assault.

Fight or flight. HE tried flight, then when that didn't work he resorted to fight.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:

Should Arbery have run up to the guy and grabbed his firearm? He is dead. You can assume he'd be dead if he did not. But that is spoculation.

Seems more people care about who did wrong here than whether or not Arbery should have grabbed at someone's firearm. They seem to care less about his life than convicting these guys following him or others that may get into a similar situation.

Not one person here that is siding with Arbery has said he should not have charged at an armed man. That says a lot.

I'll say this. If you're yards away from someone that is armed don't run up to them and try to take their firearm. It will not likely end well for you. Whether or not you think they're a good or bad guy.
I'm not sure about that.

Just as you're instructed (correctly) not to allow yourself to be put in someone's car against your will even if that means risking being killed resisting, resist.

He may have taken what he believed to be his best shot at survival.

Arbery couldn't have known the cops had been called and were moments away. He may well have thought this is his only chance - although truthfully, I can't imagine why he didn't cut through yards and go behind houses instead of remaining on the street the whole time, where the McMichaels had access to him. There's zero chance they could have caught him if they were reduced to a foot chase.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:54 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The courts will hash this one out - but to me, it seems "reasonable" that this is the guy who stole his gun, and someone else's gun, and committed other crimes in the neighborhood that caused cops to be called 18 times in the previous 2 months.

The neighborhood was under a bit of a crime wave, and considering the McMichaels had seen video of him in the home a few times, it certainly seems "reasonable" to me to think he was behind some or all of the crimes recently committed.
If they knew who stole the gun, why not just report that in the first place?

Also, what crime wave? i see what, one police report?

Being in the home is not a crime, I have no idea why you all are not understanding this. it. Is. Not. A. Crime.

Additionally, a bit of an odd thing; if they knew who he was, then why would they need to chase him and talk to him? If they did not know who he was, then how do they know he was responsible for any crime around there? Is "I think you did something two months ago" a reasonable and probable cause to make a citizens arrest? if so, why did they not state this in the police report?

Old 05-22-2020, 01:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:

If you leave me no other choice, I’m charging you and will attempt to take the gun.

If you shoot me, then good for you. But there’s gonna be consequences and repercussions for it coming from my extended family. They aren’t gonna wait 2 months for an arrest.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Under GA law Arbery was within his rights to defend himself however he chose. Under GA law the McMichaels were committing aggravated assault.

Fight or flight. HE tried flight, then when that didn't work he resorted to fight.
Here's Georgia's aggravated assault statute. I don't believe the McMichaels were, in fact, committing aggravated assault. There was no assault at all - the statute doesn't mention anything about a "threat of assault", or "pointing a gun".

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...icle-2/16-5-21

NOTE: The statute also has a clause specifically disallowing you to shoot someone while you are in your car, with a few exceptions. Is that why T McMichaels stepped out of his car as Arbery was approaching? Maybe.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
If they knew who stole the gun, why not just report that in the first place?

Also, what crime wave? i see what, one police report?

Being in the home is not a crime, I have no idea why you all are not understanding this. it. Is. Not. A. Crime.

Additionally, a bit of an odd thing; if they knew who he was, then why would they need to chase him and talk to him? If they did not know who he was, then how do they know he was responsible for any crime around there? Is "I think you did something two months ago" a reasonable and probable cause to make a citizens arrest? if so, why did they not state this in the police report?
They didn't know. They didn't know his identity.

I think that would pass the "reasonable" sniff test, to think this man who keeps showing up on their security video in the neighborhood is the one who stole his gun out of the truck recently.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:00 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
According to the AJC,

That's 5 dates, not 6 (not trying to be persnickety, but facts matter).

And it's because facts matter that I am following this up. It really doesn't matter if Arbery, on his jogs through this neighborhood, stopped to check the progress on this construction, or to get a drink of water,
there is no evidence of Arbery was checking to see the progress of the construction

there is no evidence that he was drinking water

there is no evidence that if he was drinking water that was his only intent,

if you had a drink of water at your friends house that does not mean your purpose in going to your friends house was to drink water

there is no evidence that if he was jogging that that was all he was doing

there is evidence he was intruding on private property at night, 6 dates, not 5.

Oct 25 9:55 p.m.
Nov 17 10:14 p.m
Nov 18 6:25 p.m.
Dec 17 9:29 p.m
Feb 11 , 7:27 p.m on video and seen by Travis McMichael, 911 call
Feb 23 , around 1 p.m., day of shooting, 2 911 calls

Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
If they were such concerned neighbors, they should have called the police and let them do their job. They decided instead to be vigilantes. Now they are murderers.
They did call the police. Several times. They were attempting to hold Arbery at bay until the cops, whom they called, arrived.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:

so drop the case because grabbing a gun is dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies