Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 02:59 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They did call the police. Several times. They were attempting to hold Arbery at bay until the cops, whom they called, arrived.
To hold someone "at bay" means to fend them off and try to keep them away. That is clearly not what they were doing. If you are holding someone at bay by trapping them with guns and vehicles and cutting off all routes of escape, you're doing it wrong.

There were only two phone calls to 911. The first from the neighbor across the street from the English house under construction. The neighbor clearly wanted the police to come and handle the matter and did not did not join the pursuit. The second was from George McMichael just seconds before the shooting.

George and Travis McMichael were in the same truck. Whichever one of them was not the driver could have been calling the police at any time during the four minute long chase, but they did not. They waited until they had set up an ambush and then made the call. Why? Why wouldn't you want the police to arrive as soon as possible when you are chasing down a supposedly armed man? Could it be that they know once you call 911 and tell them you are chasing someone they are going to tell you to stop immediately? Then you won't get to do what you set out to do, or be the hero, or whatever they were planning.

And what about Roddy? He never called, and he had a phone in his hand the whole time. Instead, he just follows for four minutes and helps block Arbery in and records everything. Then, when the shots are fired, he never uses the same phone that's in his hand to call 911 to get police (who he doesn't know yet are coming) or rescue for Arbery.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
To hold someone "at bay" means to fend them off and try to keep them away. That is clearly not what they were doing. If you are holding someone at bay by trapping them with guns and vehicles and cutting off all routes of escape, you're doing it wrong.

There were only two phone calls to 911. The first from the neighbor across the street from the English house under construction. The neighbor clearly wanted the police to come and handle the matter and did not did not join the pursuit. The second was from George McMichael just seconds before the shooting.

George and Travis McMichael were in the same truck. Whichever one of them was not the driver could have been calling the police at any time during the four minute long chase, but they did not. They waited until they had set up an ambush and then made the call. Why? Why wouldn't you want the police to arrive as soon as possible when you are chasing down a supposedly armed man? Could it be that they know once you call 911 and tell them you are chasing someone they are going to tell you to stop immediately? Then you won't get to do what you set out to do, or be the hero, or whatever they were planning.

And what about Roddy? He never called, and he had a phone in his hand the whole time. Instead, he just follows for four minutes and helps block Arbery in and records everything. Then, when the shots are fired, he never uses the same phone that's in his hand to call 911 to get police (who he doesn't know yet are coming) or rescue for Arbery.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
The police were called on several occasions when he was burglarizing English's house.
It's too bad for your fantasy that English states nothing was ever stolen.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
Were the McMichaels charged with a use of force crime?
Aggravated assault.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Baldly untrue. Walmart vigorously pursues thieves, even posting video on the evening news and offering rewards. Walmart's surveillance is copious.
I guess my walmart's different. I've sat there and watched when checkers look up, to see someone obviously stealing a tv and the buzzers are going off, and they watch, look around a little, and go back to what they're doing. Because that's the policy. They do have security, but if security doesn't come running up, that guy is gone.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Well, I guess I learned something today!

Like "literally" now means "figuratively" and "had your work cut out for you" no longer means that your work has been made easier, it now means your work has been made harder.

"Holding at bay" now does appear to mean "fend off".

But "holding at bay" used to refer to a trained hunting hound dog, that would tree a squirrel or corner a raccoon and "hold them at bay", meaning hold them there and bay (howl) for the hunter to come. There's actually a hound dog procedure to teach them to "hold prey at bay".

Language. It's fluid.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I guess my walmart's different. I've sat there and watched when checkers look up, to see someone obviously stealing a tv and the buzzers are going off, and they watch, look around a little, and go back to what they're doing. Because that's the policy. They do have security, but if security doesn't come running up, that guy is gone.
Except that they have surveillance, which they can pass on to police. Their surveillance is so good that if the thief goes to a different Walmart, and checks out, their facial recognition software can make a match. Walmart's policy is not about letting thieves go, it's about not putting their employees at risk.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Can someone help me understand why the cops have charged the man who filmed this thing with murder?

Old 05-22-2020, 03:36 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Can someone help me understand why the cops have charged the man who filmed this thing with murder?
In the original police report, the McMichaels said that Bryan was helping them try to enclose Abery. That's attempted false imprisonment. The lynch mobbing caused the death of Arbery. That is felony murder.

Hence, the two charges of attempted false imprisonment and felony murder.

For those who don't know, Georgia has a law called felony murder where if a person is involved in a crime and that crime resulted in the death of someone, then that person is guilty of felony murder even though that person did not personally kill the guy that died.

So, say person A is the getaway driver for a robbery. Robbery went wrong and store clerk is killed. Even if person A is nothing more than the getaway driver, he is still guilty of felony murder.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I have not read all the evidence, but it seems he was more than just filming, but a participant in the chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies