Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

Part of the confusion here, is that assault is an actual word with an actual meaning. It means to physically attack.

And then Georgia developed a charge of assault that includes threatening to assault someone but not doing it. And they even call it aggravated assault, although no assault has to occur.

It would be like charging someone with murder because they threatened you with it, or car theft because they threatened to steal your car.

(Don't even point me to the law that says Georgia will do that, because this is driving me to drink).

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
He was murdered by two white guys looking to kill a black guy. Period. (I'm white btw)

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Show proof they were threatening to shot the Arbery. You saying so is the opposite of proof.

Newsflash, caring a weapon in order to protect yourself isn't considered a threat. Not that you care about the truth
You do not have to threaten to shoot someone to make it aggravated assault in GA.

The law has been posted multiple times.

You can not claim self defense when you are the initial aggressor.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It's best to ask those who practice that type of law in that state. Your problem solving skills have much to be desired. No wonder you get so many things wrong.
Sure. I'm not the one claiming that the law says something that it clearly doesn't say. I'm also not the one trying to claim self defense for the aggressors, which is in direct contradiction of the GA law.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Except they didn't assault Arbery and you have no proof of that.

Why in the world would you think Arbery had reasonable suspicion that they were going to shoot him? You're not making sense.
READ the law. It has been posted here multiple times.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Part of the confusion here, is that assault is an actual word with an actual meaning. It means to physically attack.

And then Georgia developed a charge of assault that includes threatening to assault someone but not doing it. And they even call it aggravated assault, although no assault has to occur.

It would be like charging someone with murder because they threatened you with it, or car theft because they threatened to steal your car.

(Don't even point me to the law that says Georgia will do that, because this is driving me to drink).
You must have never discussed the law before this case if you are so bewildered by that.

The law frequently defines things differently than the commonly used definitions for words. Why do you think there are legal dictionaries or judges instructing juries on what the law means. This is not something unique to GA

It is pretty common for legal terms to mean something different than a words ordinary everyday meaning.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Under the law battery is to physically attack.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Chasing someone up and down the street in a car while carrying a gun amounts to carrying a weapon to protect yourself, come on.

So you don't think it makes sense to protect yourself when you are in the process of detaining someone? hahahaha Absolutely amateurish and juvenile to think otherwise.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:

And then Georgia developed a charge of assault that actually includes threatening to assault someone but not doing it.

Here is the dictionary definition of assault: To assault is defined as to cause harm to someone, to threaten harm, or to try and cause harm. Holding a gun on someone is an example of assault.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/assault

Assault and battery often go together. So in Texas it's merged together as assault with different degrees, but in GA, they follow common law dating back to England. Battery is separated out. But if you assault and harm the person, it's both.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Sure. I'm not the one claiming that the law says something that it clearly doesn't say. I'm also not the one trying to claim self defense for the aggressors, which is in direct contradiction of the GA law.
The McMichaels weren't the aggressors. They didn't attack, Arbery did and his horrible decision in order to avoid getting caught, cost him his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies