Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
you do not just give up us citizenship. Last i heard it cost about 8k.
$2300
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:31 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Taxes pay for the common defense, infrastructure, services, medicare and Medicaid, etc. If you are not availing yourself of any of that, why pay taxes to support it?

I worked 15 years overseas and many of those years I worked in nations that didn't tax workers such as Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and only Americans were paying taxes to their government which puts us at a disadvantage compared to Brits, Aussies, Germans, Italians, etc.

In my case, I always maintained my ties to the USA so there was no philosophical reason for me to renounce my citizenship even though I would have been wealthier if I had. But I know many Americans who have effectively emigrated due to marriage, preference, etc. and never plan to return so for these people it makes sense for them to renounce their citizenship.
This^.
The USA is by far the most aggressive country in the world in forcing taxes on private citizens that are not taking part in any govt benefits.

Tina Turner became a French citizen a while back for that very reason.

I am not sure why the OP is freaking out with TDS over this, other than, well, TDS.
Those policies have been in place for a very long time, and it is democrats that are most strident about taxes and collection.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 AM

672 posts, read 443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
$2300
Plus exit tax

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...patriation-tax

Old 05-13-2020, 07:48 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Living abroad doesn’t give you exemption from not paying taxes. I spent two years oversea working for the US government and i still had to pay taxes for those 2 years.

When covid19 ravaged Wuhan, US government sent charter planes to Wuhan to bail out American citizens and flew them home.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:58 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Living abroad doesn’t give you exemption from not paying taxes. I spent two years oversea working for the US government and i still had to pay taxes for those 2 years.

When covid19 ravaged Wuhan, US government sent charter planes to Wuhan to bail out American citizens and flew them home.
You didn't pay taxes, you just took less of them in return for laboring for the US govt.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:59 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You didn't pay taxes, you just took less of them in return for laboring for the US govt.
Sure if you say so

Old 05-13-2020, 08:00 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Sure if you say so
Where did the money come from to pay you?

Old 05-13-2020, 08:00 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Well ... Bye.
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Ditto........................pieces of S***

Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:

That must be US government rules. You should have been able to get an IRS code 911 exemption on a portion of your income not taxed if you follow all of the requirements, at least for those of us abroad but not working for the government.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:12 AM

1,503 posts, read 608,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Living abroad shouldn’t exempt anyone from their tax obligations. If they get in trouble, they’ll be calling Uncle Sam for assistance.

So the best thing is to just renounce your citizenship if you don’t wanna pay taxes. It’s that simple. But American citizens should pay American taxes no matter where they live.
US is the only country in the world that hunts its (former) citizens even after they want to be out.
If one renounces US citizenship, he is still required to pay US taxes for 10 years after that.

Classic "taxation without representation". Hmm, it reminds me something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies