Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 09:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Carrying an American passport represents power, prestige and gravitas. I know firsthand as an international traveler and someone who lived abroad for 13 years. People and authorities in foreign countries know that as an American, you can’t just be capriciously mishandled or made to be unfairly treated or abused without there being possible repercussions for doing so. If you’re living abroad as an expatriate American and civil unrest ensues, the United States will generally see to it that you be allowed safe passage home. We are known for looking out for our citizens who live abroad with few exceptions.

In other words, it’s a privilege to be an American citizen passport holder. That privilege was carefully cultivated over many decades and came at a great cost.

If you don’t wish to have this privilege while living abroad, then cough up your citizenship and either become stateless or take other citizenship. That’s your choice.

But if you wanna keep that passport and have the rights and privileges of having not only the gravitas that comes with being an American abroad, but also the ability to summon extemporaneous help should you find yourself in a bind: PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES AND STOP WHINING!

The End. SMH
I have dual citizenship -- and have traveled with both passports -- no difference -- no difference at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Carrying an American passport represents power, prestige and gravitas. I know firsthand as an international traveler and someone who lived abroad for 13 years. People and authorities in foreign countries know that as an American, you can’t just be capriciously mishandled or made to be unfairly treated or abused without there being possible repercussions for doing so. If you’re living abroad as an expatriate American and civil unrest ensues, the United States will generally see to it that you be allowed safe passage home. We are known for looking out for our citizens who live abroad with few exceptions.

In other words, it’s a privilege to be an American citizen passport holder. That privilege was carefully cultivated over many decades and came at a great cost.
I lived abroad for 6 years and will move again later this year. I disagree, the American passport simply means you have some money for the destination country to squeeze out of you. There’s a big difference between a young, broke, smelly, digital nomad backpacker in Europe and a middle aged, wealthy, executive banker living and working in Singapore or Hong Kong.

You still need to be on your best behavior, there’s a lot of people sitting in foreign jails right now for using or transporting drugs and there isn’t anything America can do for them. And they don’t have the money it takes to either bribe the locals or make bail.

So no, there isn’t any carefully cultivated privilege for American passport holders like we have some magical diplomatic immunity. The average American tourist is known to be belligerent, inconsiderate, obnoxious and rude. Expecting everyone to cater to us and translate everything to English.

But foreigners like money and American tourists will spend it, so everyone benefits.

Last edited by Rocko20; 05-14-2020 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 10:26 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,831 times
Having a U.S. passport is almost a curse for expats these days. Because of draconian FATCA reporting requirements no banks or other financial institutions want to take the risk of doing business with U.S. citizens living overseas any longer. It's hard to open bank accounts, impossible to do investments or get real estate loans, even if you have a good job and permanent residency.

On top of that you've got to pay U.S. taxes on any investment or self-employment income or any capital gains on the sale of real estate even though you're already paying taxes in your country of residence. Boris Johnson learned that the hard way even though he hadn't lived in the U.S. since he was five years old.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:43 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
If you cant cope or manage yourself here, maybe its best for you to go. You have to be willing to adapt to changes. I wouldnt live anywhere else. You can also take for granted and forget about the rights you have here, traveling or living abroad.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:52 PM

19,785 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Considering our countries debt, lack of decent affordable healthcare for a country of our 'stature' and a quality of life lower than elsewhere- I'd say it's pretty attractive elsewhere. I've been to Germany. My son's been there twice. It ain't all that bad in the Motherland.

Plus the food is waaaaay better.

But I do like Montana. Other states? Not so much. Stay out of Montana- thanks.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:05 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,831 times
Funny thing is I feel freer here in Taiwan than I did in the U.S. You don't have to worry about cops shooting you down in the street or coming to your home and shooting you because you reached for your cell phone. No civil asset forfeiture. Taxes are low. Nobody loses their home or goes into bankruptcy when they get sick because of good national health care.

Nobody here ever gets sent by the government against their will to fight and die in foreign countries.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Funny thing is I feel freer here in Taiwan than I did in the U.S. You don't have to worry about cops shooting you down in the street or coming to your home and shooting you because you reached for your cell phone. No civil asset forfeiture. Taxes are low. Nobody loses their home or goes into bankruptcy when they get sick because of good national health care.

Nobody here ever gets sent by the government against their will to fight and die in foreign countries.
In Spain, I can walk down the street drinking a beer and no one gives gives me a hard time!

Old 05-15-2020, 05:00 AM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post

Sounds fantastic but I have 2 comments/questions:
1. My understanding is that you have to have a good reason to be in Taiwan as in you have a job skill that they need? Otherwise, leave.
2. After having worked in China, I know the Chinese just see Taiwan as their territory and they plan on getting it back...and they ain't happy with the people there in Taiwan. At some point, the Chinese Communists will absorb Taiwan back.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 05-15-2020 at 05:10 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
It is so easy to own a house and a car in the United States.

I see no practical reason for leaving because of that advantage alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies