Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:46 PM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Taiwan.
Another good guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 09:47 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
……………………………...… so what? More room for the rest of us.

Idiots romanticize living overseas, as they have never been there. There are some cool places in Europe and Asia for sure. However, America has such a wide range of natural scenery to explore and (presumably) everyone speaks English.

I never understood why anyone would want to move away from their kids, but I guess I have different priorities.
Oh, stop trying to make yourself sound more morally superior. There are various reasons why people move away, and, unfortunately, far away from kids. Jobs can take people overseas. Also, better healthcare in retirement and lower cost of living.

Not to mention that one's kids can end up moving all over the country after college, so you might not be geographically close to them, anyway. You might live close to your kids, but I know lots of people whose kids are scattered all over the US and abroad.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:52 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
How's that song go? Waaaaave, goooood byyyyeeee. Don't hit your fat a** on the door as you are leaving. come back soon we miss you!

Old 05-13-2020, 11:27 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Trump really is the most incompetent President this nation has ever had known.
Without a doubt.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Ditto........................pieces of S***
Just because someone chooses a different way of life, they're a pice of $h!t? That's a little harsh, don't ya think? People move abroad for a long list of different reasons - for love, for work, to learn a language, to try out a different lifestyle, for financial reasons, and the list goes on. Just because one is born in one place doesn't mean they can't try out life somewhere else, if they have the means. I moved abroad simply because I prefer the lifestyle in another place. I've lived in 3 (very geographically separated) US states, the UK, spent 6 months in Australia and lived in Spain for 5 years. While I value the US for a lot of reasons, there are certain things I like about Australia that I can't find anywhere else, completely different things I like about the UK, and different reasons still that I love Spain. I've found things that I love in just about every country I've been to, but at the end of the day, Spain fits my lifestyle the best. That doesn't mean I hate the USA, you can prefer one option without hating the other. If I never left my little rustbelt town, how would I really know if it's the place for me? Ignorance is bliss I guess.

How can you know that you're living in the right place if you haven't compared it to anything? I am a big fan of burgers, but if I never try sushi, pizza, or tacos, I'm never going to really know if I like burgers just because I don't have anything to compare them to, or because I know, after trying other things, that they're the best for me. I'm not saying everyone should move abroad- there are a lot of prohibitive factors for many, but I am saying that moving abroad gives you a bigger perspective which helps you better understand the options you have available. Some people move abroad and realize that they like it more back home. Others move abroad and realize that they prefer their new life. And in a land that totes Freedomâ„¢ and being #1 as much as the USA, it's surprising that some are so insecure about the right to explore these options.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Went from 2300 to 2900 in the 1st quarter due to coronavirus....that's a super small number.
If you're working overseas and you have stronger ties in another country, it makes perfect sense to renounce US citizenship.
It makes perfect sense that only 2900 Americans did it?

Plenty of tax services out there will help you navigate your tax obligations while working overseas and many of your taxes depend on what state you claim to reside in.

You can’t just renounce your US citizenship and relax in another country. You have to meet the requirements to apply for citizenship or permanent residency in that foreign country. And if it’s a country worth immigrating with a high quality of life and valuable passport, you can bet your butt the process will be long, expensive, and complicated.

Oh and you also need to prove you can learn and speak the local language, depending on the type of permanent residency you’re seeking. So yeah, hardly a walk in the park.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Ditto........................pieces of S***
Why in the world is someone who chooses to live in a different country, for whatever reason and either temporarily or permanently, "pieces of shi*"?

The US is a country full of immigrants who came here for all kinds of reasons. Are they all -- tens of millions of them -- "pieces of shi*"?

I came to the US 23 years ago from Canada (ex-husband's job brought us here), and I'm now a US (dual) citizen. Am I a "piece of shi*"?

My parents immigrated to Canada back in the mid 60s and became (dual) citizens. Are they "pieces of shi*"?

Old 05-14-2020, 04:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Taxes pay for the common defense, infrastructure, services, medicare and Medicaid, etc. If you are not availing yourself of any of that, why pay taxes to support it?

I worked 15 years overseas and many of those years I worked in nations that didn't tax workers such as Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and only Americans were paying taxes to their government which puts us at a disadvantage compared to Brits, Aussies, Germans, Italians, etc.

In my case, I always maintained my ties to the USA so there was no philosophical reason for me to renounce my citizenship even though I would have been wealthier if I had. But I know many Americans who have effectively emigrated due to marriage, preference, etc. and never plan to return so for these people it makes sense for them to renounce their citizenship.
Carrying an American passport represents power, prestige and gravitas. I know firsthand as an international traveler and someone who lived abroad for 13 years. People and authorities in foreign countries know that as an American, you can’t just be capriciously mishandled or made to be unfairly treated or abused without there being possible repercussions for doing so. If you’re living abroad as an expatriate American and civil unrest ensues, the United States will generally see to it that you be allowed safe passage home. We are known for looking out for our citizens who live abroad with few exceptions.

In other words, it’s a privilege to be an American citizen passport holder. That privilege was carefully cultivated over many decades and came at a great cost.

If you don’t wish to have this privilege while living abroad, then cough up your citizenship and either become stateless or take other citizenship. That’s your choice.

But if you wanna keep that passport and have the rights and privileges of having not only the gravitas that comes with being an American abroad, but also the ability to summon extemporaneous help should you find yourself in a bind: PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES AND STOP WHINING!

The End. SMH

Old 05-14-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It makes perfect sense that only 2900 Americans did it?

Plenty of tax services out there will help you navigate your tax obligations while working overseas and many of your taxes depend on what state you claim to reside in.

You can’t just renounce your US citizenship and relax in another country. You have to meet the requirements to apply for citizenship or permanent residency in that foreign country. And if it’s a country worth immigrating with a high quality of life and valuable passport, you can bet your butt the process will be long, expensive, and complicated.

Oh and you also need to prove you can learn and speak the local language, depending on the type of permanent residency you’re seeking. So yeah, hardly a walk in the park.
I've known several people that did it for good reasons (to them). But yeah you need another country that you have or can build ties to in order to do it. As I said, I worked over 15 years abroad for a consulting engineering company and have known many Americans that separated themselves from America and built their lives elsewhere. Most of these guys have the financial resources and motivation to do what most Americans do not.

Again, I never put myself in that category and always kept my ties and allegiance to America but I can understand why others don't feel that way.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Carrying an American passport represents power, prestige and gravitas. I know firsthand as an international traveler and someone who lived abroad for 13 years. People and authorities in foreign countries know that as an American, you can’t just be capriciously mishandled or made to be unfairly treated or abused without there being possible repercussions for doing so. If you’re living abroad as an expatriate American and civil unrest ensues, the United States will generally see to it that you be allowed safe passage home. We are known for looking out for our citizens who live abroad with few exceptions.

In other words, it’s a privilege to be an American citizen passport holder. That privilege was carefully cultivated over many decades and came at a great cost.

If you don’t wish to have this privilege while living abroad, then cough up your citizenship and either become stateless or take other citizenship. That’s your choice.

But if you wanna keep that passport and have the rights and privileges of having not only the gravitas that comes with being an American abroad, but also the ability to summon extemporaneous help should you find yourself in a bind: PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES AND STOP WHINING!

The End. SMH
I agree with everything you said in this post (that makes 2 times now) but I've known many who just didn't feel that way and established their lives in another country which is their right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies