Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 02:02 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I have never heard that loss of smell or taste were a permanent condition. Elderly married relatives of mine, both with comorbidity, had the virus. They know because they both tested positive with the antigen. They only had minor symptoms and recovered. One had a loss of taste and smell, but that symptom went away.
Well, that's a relief. I know a lot of people who have/had CV19 and said it's been weeks/months and their sense of taste and smell still haven't returned. Maybe they were just really unlucky though, or maybe it just takes a long time for it to come back sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 02:04 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,903,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The 2 million dead was with no measures taken, thus the hospital system would be over whelmed and unnecessary deaths would result from not being able to get treatment. The infection would spread very fast, making way too many people infected and needing hospitalization in a very short time.

No, it was not with no measures taken, though that is a standard trope on the left.

Give it up, even the guy who designed the model went back on his original prediction and apologized:

Last March, Ferguson admitted that his Imperial College model of the COVID-19 disease was based on undocumented, 13-year-old computer code that was intended to be used for a feared influenza pandemic, rather than a coronavirus. Ferguson declined to release his original code so other scientists could check his results. He only released a heavily revised set of code last week, after a six-week delay.
So the real scandal is: Why did anyone ever listen to this guy?

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.e...n-to-this-guy/

Old 05-24-2020, 02:11 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
As a numbers guy I love this analysis. So for far less than a 1% fatality rate -- we have shut down our economy, and stomped on freedom. We have shut schools, churches, restaurants, entertainment facilities, closed down professional sports, closed huge numbers of small businesses, many of which will not return. Just nearby to me, the playground where my son enjoys going, is chained up. Basketball courts are locked up. Nobody is out, doing anything, it's a ghost town.

Originally the purpose of the shut down was to "flatten the curve". But it seems to have morphed into something else entirely.

Conclusion: You people are being played !
First of all that is a CDC prediction undated. Secondly as a numbers guy you should know that it is estimated that only around 5% of the population was infected. Just imagine if it were 50% with a 1% mortality rate and that doesn't include the many more that would be hospitalized and recover nor would that include those that recovered and had permanent damage. Picture the hospitals if we didn't take any action and treated this as a normal flu season.

Why do you dislike facts and science.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:11 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Okie-Doke. More wing-nut fever dreams. Fewer people died than they were expecting on day 1. These folks are the same ones who are screaming that countless more people in China died than we were told. The Chinese government is hiding millions of deaths -- obviously true because of cell phone activity has declined.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:17 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Loss of taste and smell can be a symptom, and a lingering after-effect. I doubt permanent loss of taste and smell is common. What is permanent at this point? Four months? That's how long we've been dealing with this in the U.S. This disease is so new, we have no idea what 'permanent' means.

My brother's BIL fell from a loading dock a long, long time ago - he might have been 50 at the time - suffered a concussion, had loss of smell and taste for a number of years - like at least ten, more likely longer - and then, suddenly, both returned - so I heard last year. Ha....as it turns out, even he didn't suffer permanent loss of taste and smell. Of course, ten years for most people would be considered permanent....until it isn't.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
No, it was not with no measures taken, though that is a standard trope on the left.

Give it up, even the guy who designed the model went back on his original prediction and apologized:

Last March, Ferguson admitted that his Imperial College model of the COVID-19 disease was based on undocumented, 13-year-old computer code that was intended to be used for a feared influenza pandemic, rather than a coronavirus. Ferguson declined to release his original code so other scientists could check his results. He only released a heavily revised set of code last week, after a six-week delay.
So the real scandal is: Why did anyone ever listen to this guy?

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.e...n-to-this-guy/
Actually, yes, it was with no measures taken, it is directly in the report, go read it for yourself, the charts specifically state "with no mitigation".

A random blog is your reference? lol

Old 05-24-2020, 02:21 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Okie-Doke. More wing-nut fever dreams. Fewer people died than they were expecting on day 1. These folks are the same ones who are screaming that countless more people in China died than we were told. The Chinese government is hiding millions of deaths -- obviously true because of cell phone activity has declined.
Can't really have it both ways now can ya??....LOL

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Yes, but the number comes from the CDC who liberals have been touting as infallible.

So the questions is, what do the doom prophets say now?
When exactly did the liberals tout the CDC as infallible? I must have missed that one.

30,384 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Yes, but the number comes from the CDC who liberals have been touting as infallible.

So the questions is, what do the doom prophets say now?
They aren't grounded in the truth so they will say whatever they think will hurt Trump, they have no use for truth and honesty.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:49 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Exactly what are we arguing about here? From Day One we were told the modeling will change daily as new data is reported. So, we have some success in breaking/slowing the chain of transmission and NOW the argument is we should have done nothing?

It is pretty clear without early intervention in virtually every state - shutdowns, social distancing - the numbers would be horrible - both in cases and deaths - and the hospitals WOULD be overwhelmed.

So, IT'S GREAT - numbers are coming down, hospitals are not overwhelmed, people are wearing masks - BECAUSE we did the shutdown.

NOW - we are a lot smarter. Even if we open up, people know a lot more about how this disease is spread, how to mitigate the contagion. And, we've developed better early treatment modalities as well as for those hospitalized. I like to think we'll continue to see a stabilization of hospitalizations and a decline in the death rate.

That said, I am the first to say I had very serious reservations on the shutdown from Day One BECAUSE of the economic ramifications. I kept thinking - 'there has to be a better way.' All I could see going forward was rubble and ruin. The national shutdown has forever altered this country and destroyed hundreds of thousands of small businesses, and close to destroyed travel, leisure and entertainment. That is no small price, the ripple effects of which are yet to be seen. We've dug ourselves a very, very deep hole.

Opinion: I do think - when one considers how China limited the spread of this disease to one province - that the US record, with total cases of 1.67 million, is pretty embarrassing - when one considers China has a population of close to 1.5 billion v. our 330 million.

In hindsight, knowing what we know now, if govt had planned ahead, people had masked up nationwide from the very beginning, the numbers of cases in the US would be SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER. It might have been possible to not be as draconian on the lockdowns had masks been available and mandated.

I'll repeat again this post - which should be on every page of every COVID thread imo - the most simple and obvious mitigating factor is one which many are still ignorantly fighting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Here in Taiwan the coronavirus pandemic is over. We never had a lockdown. Schools, restaurants and other businesses have been open and operating normally the whole time. The last new case was over a month ago. 7 people out of a population of 24 million died from Covid-19.

All it took was for the government to go on a crash program to manufacture surgical masks for everyone at 15 cents U.S. a piece and for 95% of the population to voluntarily wear them from Day 1.

That Great Wall of surgical face masks withstood everything the coronavirus threw at it, making quarantining and contact tracing easy jobs.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-24-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies