Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Knowing more about the spread is helpful. When this all started, we though 20% of people ended up hospitalized and 2 or 3% died. That is absolutely terrifying for the medical community. Thankfully, it seems like it's a far smaller percentage who will need hospitalization and even less who will die.
At this point the death rate is still between 2-3% for confirmed cases in some states. Worldometers still shows US death toll of 6%. In some countries, the death rate is over 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then why has Trump been peddling fake numbers, and why did he push for the lock-down?

Having said that, I thought the low death rate was common knowledge, but 0.25% is still 8 million Americans.
No, it's not. Take a calculator - multiply 320,000,000 x .25% - you get 800,000. Eight million would be potential deaths if the entire population developed the disease assuming current death rates of .025, or 2.5%. We'll never see eight million. I don't think we'll even see 800,000 - as I am hopeful with continued use of masks, social distancing, and improved treatment modalities the death toll will drop - and hopefully hospitalizations can be forestalled with earlier and more effective intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
But as another poster up thread mentioned, I too am interested in the death rate for people who become ill with the virus. I think that's how it needs to be measured. Just like regular influenza. The death rate shouldn't count people who have it but never become symptomatic. They wouldn't measure the flu that way.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
You are absolutely right. I have been saying this for weeks and this is the first time I’ve seen someone else post about it. If you want to compare the Covid death rate to that of the flu, you cannot include asymptomatic cases of Covid, because they do not count asymptomatic cases of the flu. You have to compare same to same, otherwise the numbers are meaningless.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't think the OP actually read the CDC link. He just posted the Horowitz article that included that CDC link and assumed it supported Horowitz' claim. Which it didn't. It was sort of random

But the bottom line is that the death rate is roughly 6% for those who have been tested. It probably means that if you are sick enough to have symptoms and get tested your risk of dying is way higher than those who get exposed and don't have symptoms.
Absolutely. Whoever has been posting these charts here and elsewhere doesn't know how to read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
If it ever is allowed to come out that the actual death count is easily less than half the declared count there will be crickets (i.e. silence) from the media that drove this panic.
For those who refuse to believe reported deaths, then use excess deaths. How do you account for those? Good articles on that issue, here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...oll-total.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/o...us-deaths.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-23-2020 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: correct typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 07:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
I'd like to know the number of people who died due to some stupid politician, like those who sent the elderly back to their nursing homes.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Yeah like almost 100K people dead in 12 weeks -- just like the flu right

Old 05-23-2020, 08:25 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,427 times
Quote:
So it looks like President Trump and Rush Limbaugh were right all along, while the so-called "Experts" at the WHO and the panic promoting mass media have been consistently and spectacularly wrong.
Inded... The media is doing it ON PURPOSE to try and run trump out of office... The dems want him to lose!!!!!

This is nowhere near as bad as the media is saying it is..... The numbers they tell you should not be trusted!!

Dont you remember they tried this in 2009 also with Swine Flu...... But this time they have a major agenda!! (1 is to knock Mr Trump out of office)

Old 05-23-2020, 08:56 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,066,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Don't you remember, they tried this in 2009 also, with Swine Flu...

Um, wasn't a democrat the POTUS in '09 ?

Old 05-23-2020, 09:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah like almost 100K people dead in 12 weeks -- just like the flu right
How many died and were listed as dead due to Covid19, were dying already? Meaning would have died if they caught a common cold? How many were listed as Covid19 deaths that merely tested positive? I think there has been an over diagnosis, not unlike ADHD in the 80's and 90's.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Default Explain the EXCESS DEATHS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Inded... The media is doing it ON PURPOSE to try and run trump out of office... The dems want him to lose!!!!!

This is nowhere near as bad as the media is saying it is..... The numbers they tell you should not be trusted!!

Dont you remember they tried this in 2009 also with Swine Flu...... But this time they have a major agenda!! (1 is to knock Mr Trump out of office)
Horsehockey, horsehockey, and horsehockey.

For those who refuse to believe reported deaths, then use excess deaths. How do you account for those? Good articles on that issue, here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...oll-total.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/o...us-deaths.html

Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
That "low rate" means 800,000 deaths required to achieve herd immunity.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:27 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,903,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Homework assignment: find the following:

1) The COVID-19 hospitalization rate.

2) The COVID-19 death rate without hospital intervention.

Then determine the following:

What happens to the real world COVID-19 death rate if hospitals are overwhelmed and can only treat a small fraction of the seriously ill.

Hospitals were not overwhelmed.

Anywhere.

Even in states with far less draconian lockdowns.

And don't even get me started on ventilators...

Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,903,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't think the OP actually read the CDC link. He just posted the Horowitz article that included that CDC link and assumed it supported Horowitz' claim. Which it didn't. It was sort of random

Actually I did read it.

Want proof?

I posted the stats from the CDC's website yesterday in the Rhode Island forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies