Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
There's a lot of people...possibly positive....that have no or mild symptoms...that will not get tested
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Yes, and this is precisely why the mortality rate is so much lower.
....if they were tested the mortality rate would go down even more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 01:12 PM

33 posts, read 21,123 times
This needs to be shared. Mike Wallace on 60 minutes. Should the CDC be trusted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Old 05-23-2020, 01:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I find this interesting, considering how every other country except Russia, has a death rate in line with what the experts said... Somewhere around 6-10x the normal flu death rate.

Somehow, NYC has a death rate in line with the rest of the world, but not the rest of the US, despite the being the epicenter.

But somehow you found data that says the US, except NYC, has a fraction of the deaths per capital, than every other country.

Either you're lying or you're misreading your data.

Right.

Based on the most recent NYC antibody data (19.9% of the city) and their number of dead compared to their population, their death rate is about .9%.

Of course that's imperfect, but how is that so much higher than the CDC when it's the most saturated city for the virus in the US?

Most countries are reporting estimates of between .7 and 1.2%. It's likely closer to 1.2% in areas where those most impacted are in nursing homes or low income people who are more likely to have poor health due to diet, regular healthcare, pollution, etc.

The bigger issue is the number of people who are hospitalized and the length of time they are hospitalized.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's very possible that deaths are being over-reported. More than one doctor has stated his hospital is being loose with calling deaths covid-19 related when there was no evidence of that.

Yes, this.

And why? Because hospitals are compensated financially for every COVID patient they report.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Right.

Based on the most recent NYC antibody data (19.9% of the city) and their number of dead compared to their population, their death rate is about .9%.

Of course that's imperfect, but how is that so much higher than the CDC when it's the most saturated city for the virus in the US?

Most countries are reporting estimates of between .7 and 1.2%. It's likely closer to 1.2% in areas where those most impacted are in nursing homes or low income people who are more likely to have poor health due to diet, regular healthcare, pollution, etc.

The bigger issue is the number of people who are hospitalized and the length of time they are hospitalized.
And then there's this antibody data that keeps getting rolled out. Covid is at the same time severalfold LESS dangerous (based on how many people "caught it") and severalfold MORE dangerous (based on how many people show symptoms). Both those things can't be true.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:41 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And then there's this antibody data that keeps getting rolled out. Covid is at the same time severalfold LESS dangerous (based on how many people "caught it") and severalfold MORE dangerous (based on how many people show symptoms). Both those things can't be true.

Antibody testing helps us understand the spread, but so many tests are worthless and the roll out doesn't give statistically significant results unless it's in a designed test (like what NY is doing). Even NY's first go at a test was wrong because it picked random people in grocery stores rather than a random sample that included people who are isolating at home. If testing is just open, the type of people getting the test are a) people who can afford it (it's more than $150 in my area though my insurance covers it) and b) people who think they had it.

Knowing more about the spread is helpful. When this all started, we though 20% of people ended up hospitalized and 2 or 3% died. That is absolutely terrifying for the medical community. Thankfully, it seems like it's a far smaller percentage who will need hospitalization and even less who will die.

But even if you're not hospitalized, you can get *very* *very* sick. While I have no way of knowing about friends who got it but were asymptomatic, friends all were out of commission for 3-6 weeks. These are people in their 20s and 30s and healthy, not sickly 70 year olds. And while we know what happens to the body long term after a really bad strain of flu, we have no idea what is in store for covid-19 survivors.

I'm concerned that people think the lower death rate means it's no big deal. It's still a very big deal. The good news is that there's so much we can do *while* opening the economy to protect others. Wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance, help people who are elderly or have preexisting conditions shelter in place - we have to work together to move forward.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:45 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
“We took all of these precautions and nothing bad happened. Why did we take all of those silly precautions?”

Only two things are infinite...

Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM

989 posts, read 456,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

But even if you're not hospitalized, you can get *very* *very* sick. While I have no way of knowing about friends who got it but were asymptomatic, friends all were out of commission for 3-6 weeks. These are people in their 20s and 30s and healthy, not sickly 70 year olds. And while we know what happens to the body long term after a really bad strain of flu, we have no idea what is in store for covid-19 survivors.

So true. Just in my own circle:

29 y/o male, no underlying conditions, sick for 2 weeks, then hospitalized and on a ventilator for 10 days. Recovering. He was one of the first serious young patients in our area and was on the ventilator in late March. Still recovering.

My coworker, age 40, overweight, that's it. Had a standard case. Had to go into the hospital during week 3 of the illness for excessive coughing and breathlessness. Put on oxygen for 7 days. After 5 weeks, seems recovered.

My coworker's 28 y/o nephew. Moderate illness, home care, 5 weeks to recover.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
So true. Just in my own circle:

29 y/o male, no underlying conditions, sick for 2 weeks, then hospitalized and on a ventilator for 10 days. Recovering. He was one of the first serious young patients in our area and was on the ventilator in late March. Still recovering.

My coworker, age 40, overweight, that's it. Had a standard case. Had to go into the hospital during week 3 of the illness for excessive coughing and breathlessness. Put on oxygen for 7 days. After 5 weeks, seems recovered.

My coworker's 28 y/o nephew. Moderate illness, home care, 5 weeks to recover.
This is more valuable information to me and I wish someone would start a thread on it.

In my circle: Nothing

In contiguous circles - meaning the circles of those in my circle:

1 recovery - guy in his 60's.
3 deaths - woman in 40's, males in 50's and 60's.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:55 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times
That is all terrible, but does it give the media an excuse not to cover what the CDC is saying about mortality rates?

Of course not. That is what this thread is about. You could cover it and then say "there are so many things we don't know" blah blah blah. They could invent all sorts of caveats.

Instead, it's a total and complete blackout.

Now the question is, why do they not want to cover it?

Hhhmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies