Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 09:17 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Indeed. Big difference between the looters and the people flipping cars over/burning buildings. The looters are indeed opportunistic. People waging war in the streets, those aren't opportunists. Those are some angry individuals with nothing to lose. Those persons are bent on revenge.
It's a distinction without a difference. Both groups are now criminals. And the people exacting revenge on people who had nothing to so with Floyd's death, they definitely have something to lose.

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And honestly, I can much more identify with pent up rage that turns to property violence, over the joy of breaking into a Target and making off with whatever you can carry.
While there's a slight difference, there really shouldn't be. Destroying property in not more noble than stealing and also destroying property. I get the frustration, just wished it didn't go down like that.

The message gets lost, all you see is people acting a fool and sympathy starts to sort dry up a bit and the original horror that caused it all gets muddied a bit. It would be much more powerful to protest, not destroy and steal, and you'd gain a bit more traction, in my opinion.

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Helps the Republicans.
Outraged Black voters, who would only vote for a Democrat, will never vote for a White man.
And there are 2 of them running.
Makes sense. Biden and Trump. They'll vote for neither White "privileged" male.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Emotional outbursts leading to injury and destruction serve zero purpose but to further downgrade a community’s reputation.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
While there's a slight difference, there really shouldn't be. Destroying property in not more noble than stealing and also destroying property. I get the frustration, just wished it didn't go down like that.

The message gets lost, all you see is people acting a fool and sympathy starts to sort dry up a bit and the original horror that caused it all gets muddied a bit. It would be much more powerful to protest, not destroy and steal, and you'd gain a bit more traction, in my opinion.
I agree the message gets lost when you see people "acting a fool" and partying and dancing and joking.

The message doesn't get lost, IMHO, when you see rage. That gets my attention.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:24 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I have noticed that in current times, the more progressive the city is, the thuggier the police act.
I don’t agree with what they did. However I think this is less about race and more about ghetto. The police definitely hold residents of ghettos (and white trailer parks in contempt) They see the residents of such places as criminals and parasites. Most Americans see them the same way. The police are so used to these people giving them trouble that they start with a tough stance and it descends into something like this. The fact that the city is liberal likely does not help. Law officers often hold leftists in contempt as well. When something does happen in a place that is fully leftist like Minneapolis there is an organized response from leftists who are used to protesting and causing trouble. It is a recipe for violence. I bet we see a lot more violence before this is over.

Let’s be clear though that most black men will not be treated like this. A black man in business casuals cloths coming from an office will not face this. Police don’t patrol for black men cutting their grass in a middle class neighborhood. This is about the ghetto way more than about race.

What to do about it? I don’t know. We can’t ask the police to treat ghetto dwellers with kid gloves because that will only encourage their criminal tendencies. We don’t want an American gestapo either. Putting more black officers in those areas has not helped....they disrespect them too. When something happens to a criminal at the hands of a black officer it’s no better of a response than if it were a white officer.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Police officers are protected by police union delegates whose job it is to investigate situations such as this to determine the officers’ culpability as laid out by police regulations before turning it over to local prosecutors. If this didn’t happen, police would be prevented from ever doing anything for fear of overzealous prosecution. Their job puts them in precarious situations that require extra levels of investigation before prosecution.

There are procedures in play. They take some time. Rest assured that justice will be carried out. People need to remember though that justice is a process, NOT an outcome. Let the professionals sort this out.

Okay, that's great. But in this case, THERE IS A VIDEO of him acting like a murderer. You need to make an arrest now to avoid more violence. You don't need any "process" after watching that. Any true leader can see this.

Arrest that murderer police officer today.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 AM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree the message gets lost when you see people "acting a fool" and partying and dancing and joking.

The message doesn't get lost, IMHO, when you see rage. That gets my attention.
Smashing police cars and flipping them over and things along those lines loses many people, maybe not you, but it does for the vast majority of people I've ever known and within my orbit. This I can be sure of.

MLK had a better approach and was much more respected and taken more seriously than guys destroying things.

Empathy is one thing, participating in riots is a whole nother.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Smashing police cars and flipping them over and things along those lines loses many people, maybe not you, but it does for the vast majority of people I've ever known and within my orbit. This I can be sure of.

MLK had a better approach and was much more respected and taken more seriously than guys destroying things.

Empathy is one thing, participating in riots is a whole nother.
I agree he had a better/different approach, but the Freedom Riders took a LOT of beatings by being non combative and non responsive to violence against them.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
this level of delusion is beyond mind-boggling.

'healing the pain' by stealing TVs and destroying businesses?

https://twitter.com/Atownsnap31/stat...43213987753985
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies