Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 12:08 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
The ideal way to avoid this situation is to OBEY THE LAW.
Dude yeah, I agree with this and resisting cops is not smart and I am 100% down with this concept and have little (actually more like, none, usually) sympathy for criminals and those who run from/fight with police BUT!

This guy was already under control. Throw him in the patrol car. Keeping him in that position after he was handcuffed is bizarre, I truly cannot understand why they did what they did. Why why why did the two police not put him in the effing car?!? It looked almost sadistic.

Restraining an unruly person via this method, say, until you can can get him handcuffed, makes sense. Maintaining him in this position after he is handcuffed does not!

I wish an actual LEO would explain this to me, the why of what they did...??

Old 05-26-2020, 12:09 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Yes.. that’s what’s important. Wondering why it’s a national story vs something that could be swept under the rug locally so they can continue to get away with this stuff.

How dare the video and internet work at exposing bad policing.

If this was a protester at a Reopen rally or a hair dresser in Michigan you guys would be livid

Earth to emotional based diatribe, concern for one thing, has nothing to do with the other.

Regardless of the races of the suspect and LEO, if the LEO used proper restraint techniques under the circumstances, he should be exonerated.
If he was outside of policy, he should be reprimanded.
If he was using excessive force that resulted in injury/death, he likely should be fired, especially if he has a history of it.
If he acted criminally, he should not only be fired, but subject to prosecution.

Any or all of those things should apply to a LEO, regardless of their race, or the race of the suspect. So my beef has nothing to do with a local story being "swept under the rug" as you put it.
However, if there was no racial component to the story, why is the media framing it that way?
We all know why, but you are either being obtuse or are too naive to understand that had the suspect been white and/or the LEO been black, no one outside of the local municipality would know about it.

Also, to reverse engineer your post, did you ever consider this story was framed as a racial matter to try and get national exposure, thus having a better chance of the LEO's career being damaged (even if he was within protocol)?
Or that it helps to put pressure get him convicted of a greater sentence (if he committed a crime) that he might not otherwise?
Lastly, did you consider it might be framed like this to result in a larger settlement or civil award, even though race did not play a part?
All of those things have occurred in the past, sometimes with catastrophic results.

On a personal note, I have not seen or read enough to render any type of an informed opinion, nor do I know that departments protocols, to know if the LEO was within proper procedure.
However, if the suspect was handcuffed with an obvious backup present, it seems unnecessary to keep weight on the suspects neck.
Just like "choke holds" have been modified or eliminated from restraint methods by many departments due to possible serious harm to suspects, this incident might lead to a review of such tactics.
That could be a good thing that comes from a tragic result.

Regardless, if no racial animus or aspect is shown to have been involved, it never should have been framed that way, as is too often the case.
The dorky woke mayor didn't help either by rushing to judgement and implying this was a racial issue, not a potentially poor policing one.

`

Old 05-26-2020, 12:10 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So you have no evidence that what you say is true, about more black men getting attacked than before.
Want the videos? you want to see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qp3Wu3YljU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalQ3ABWIZA

Old 05-26-2020, 12:11 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
It's funny because the same guys that would storm a city hall because they cannot get their haircut would never hold the same standard for this.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:11 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Police have got to be the most poorly trained profession in the U.S. They simply don't know what they're doing. How many times have we seen police overreacting to a situation that easily could have been remedied without excessive force? If the guy was already cuffed and on the ground, how did the cop think he was going to get away? Stupid.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:15 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Gruesome. Why was it necessary???

But I do wonder, how was the man unable to breathe if he was able to talk?

Was the officer wondering the same thing? Any chance he thought the man was lying, and was able to breathe well enough to not be in danger?
The man was able to breathe, just like Eric Garner was able to breathe (and, note, Eric Garner died at the hospital after the fact), even if he had difficulty breathing. Like it or not, that just seems to be a factual observation.

Moving on, the video is disturbing and does show what appears to be clear excessive force. With Eric Garner, I was more forgiving of the police because he was activity resisting and was being pinned down as cuffs were put on to try to get him under control. This case is very different and the officer seems to show a clear and callous disregard for the man's life in a way. I didn't watch the video (only saw a still photo), but from what I gather the man in this case was already handcuffed.

That said, I also need to know what actually caused the man's death before moving forward. We'll see what an autopsy shows. If it was diminished air flow/suffocation, then that certainly changes the picture vs. whether something else (I note that the man was apparently under the influence of some substance from what I'm reading).

Old 05-26-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I have noticed that in current times, the more progressive the city is, the thuggier the police act.
Actually, I have noticed the opposite.

When police are restrained from doing their jobs/duty, you may have a few thug types looking to crack skulls and take names.
However the vast majority of good LEO's back off from engaging with the community, out of fear of losing their jobs/pensions.
So they mark time by doing as little as needed to stay off their supervisors radar. Granted there are others who still try to be the best LEO they can, but their morale is often low because of the limitations placed upon them.

`

Old 05-26-2020, 12:17 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You pointing out a couple of videos (if you really want to play that game, take a look at all of the attacks on white Hasidic Jews by blacks in NYC, NJ, and other areas in the NYC area, including those that resulted in death, over the last year or two) does not support that narrative.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Quote:
Gruesome. Why was it necessary???

But I do wonder, how was the man unable to breathe if he was able to talk?

Was the officer wondering the same thing? Any chance he thought the man was lying, and was able to breathe well enough to not be in danger?
Lying or not, the man's breathing sounded pretty labored. Again, already handcuffed, being held flat on the ground, was there really a need to keep a knee on his neck for over three minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bodycam footage?
That may take an act of god to be released if they even have bodycams.
I'm with you, the bodycam footage would tell us a lot, but I doubt we ever see it. ANd that's if the officer didn't turn it off.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I was looking at Fb videos this morning before opening CD .. more and more black men are being attacked for just being out and about. There is an ugly vibe in the air---Lord help us --
^

Quote:
So you have no evidence that what you say is true, about more black men getting attacked than before.
Knowing that posters habits, I'd bet he is always looking for anti-Trump stories/videos to start threads over or post about.
Furthermore, he likely believes Trump's ____ism, ____phobia, etc. is the cause of all sorts of bad things happening to minorities, or would at least like to frame it that way by implication.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies