Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a coronavirus/COVID-19/WuFlu immunization if available?
yes 99 50.00%
no 67 33.84%
maybe 29 14.65%
other, explain below 3 1.52%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 02:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The last time I got the flu shot 10 years ago, I got the flu and almost died. Ever since then, I haven't.

My philosophy is to never trust a vaccine that is offered for free at a grocery store or a Wal-Mart .

Pretty sensible criterion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 02:41 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all. But I wouldn't get this COVID-19 vaccine.

The virus is decreasing, so what is even the need? On top of that, a rushed vaccine with little time to test long-term effects is a BAAAAAD idea.

I have a feeling that they'll try to make this mandatory and if you don't take it, you can't go to work, flights, stores, etc. But this virus has a 99.8% survival rate, so I'm perplexed as to why this is even needed.

The virus is decreasing? Are we living on the same planet? Hint: the planet includes all countries of the world. We may have reached a peak in the US, but have you seen the news out of Brazil or parts of Africa, for instance? Also the need might for a vaccine be reinforced by recent data that shows people who were infected, then tested negative, became re-infected again. That does not bode well for a vaccine, but I'm not a expert on virus infection vectors. Also, if you can become re-infected time after time, who's to say that you might dodge the bullet the first 10 times you got it, but once you reached a more advanced age, or your immune system became compromised, you might not make it through the 11th infection? I'd also like to point out that whilst people are rightly focused on the victims who did not recover, there are plenty of people who can attest to how violently ill this virus made them, and how large their medical bills were after those 4 weeks in ICU on a ventilator.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? We are wasting time and money to produce a vaccine for a virus with a 99% survival rate without it? Oh right...fearmongering....

Really? Have you not seen or read how desperately ill some of the survivors became? How debilitating this virus can be? How large their medical bill were? Please try to focus no only on the dead but also on the effect this virus has on the living. I know a very fit 21 year old, son of a very good friend, who was very ill with CV19, he was down for a month and lost 25% of his body weight. It cannot be trivialized. Aslo who's to say that this won't mutate into something even more potent if we don't stamp it out? That is a distinct possibility.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'm all for that. But it must be done correctly. There hasn't been a vaccine for a coronavirus ever developed, and the closest one, the flu vaccine, isn't even very effective and has injured millions of people.

This vaccine should be properly vetted and tested before it's put to market. I don't like the idea of putting out a vaccine in less than a year and then having people be guinea pigs. Especially since an RNA vaccine hasn't ever been done before and it seems like this one will be RNA based. Very very dangerous stuff. This isn't your basic tetanus or hepatitis vaccine.

Really, do you have any basis for that claim? I've not heard of millions being injured by a flu vaccine, but I await your education...

Old 05-27-2020, 02:48 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Answer to OP's question: Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? We are wasting time and money to produce a vaccine for a virus with a 99% survival rate without it? Oh right...fearmongering....
Not only that, but corona virus has been around forever, and they haven't managed to make a vaccine for any of them. But people think this time it will be different.

The one that they have been using for cats who get FIP, which is caused by a corona virus, and they've been getting it long before this virus came around, is highly controversial - so even for cats they can't come up with a vaccine that everyone agrees with.

So, hell no, I will not get this vaccine. The way that these governments have been handling all of this, and continue to handle all of this, and how they may handle it in the near future, I trust all of this even less than I do now.

"Rush to create a vaccine" - the fact that those words do not instill at least a small amount of skepticism, or fear, in some people, is alarming. And people wonder how things like Jonestown could have happened.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Same here. I also don't get those annual flu shots either. I seriously suspect that these type of shots only weaken the body's natural immune system. At some point the body won't be able to fight off diseases on it's own.

A great insight into the inner workings of an anti-vaxxers mind. Thank you! PS did you know that a vaccine is designed to improve the body's ability to fight off a virus, not weaken it?

Here's a bit of light reading to help with your comprehension of how a vaccine ACTUALLY works....

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/con...lor-office.pdf

Old 05-27-2020, 03:11 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
The virus is decreasing? Are we living on the same planet? Hint: the planet includes all countries of the world. We may have reached a peak in the US, but have you seen the news out of Brazil or parts of Africa, for instance? Also the need might for a vaccine be reinforced by recent data that shows people who were infected, then tested negative, became re-infected again. That does not bode well for a vaccine, but I'm not a expert on virus infection vectors. Also, if you can become re-infected time after time, who's to say that you might dodge the bullet the first 10 times you got it, but once you reached a more advanced age, or your immune system became compromised, you might not make it through the 11th infection? I'd also like to point out that whilst people are rightly focused on the victims who did not recover, there are plenty of people who can attest to how violently ill this virus made them, and how large their medical bills were after those 4 weeks in ICU on a ventilator.
Yes, the stats for the virus are going down in the US. Hence states slowly but surely opening up. Try to keep up with the current news cycle.

My post wasn't referring to Africa or Brazil, I'm clearly talking about the US.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I voted NO, I have no vaccines for probably the last 30 yrs except a tetnus shot some yrs back...

I'm my OWN vaccine.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:27 PM

254 posts, read 145,931 times
I won't take a vaccine. I'm healthy and I trust my immune system. It's the same reason I won't wear a mask. I'm not scared.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:32 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Only half of Americans would get a COVID-19 vaccine - would you?

Of course.

Unless the vaccine came out in, say, Feb. 2021, but I caught coronavirus in Oct. 2020 and recovered from it a month later. Then I'd be immune, and a new vaccine wouldn't have any effect. So I probably wouldn't bother getting it in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies