Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a coronavirus/COVID-19/WuFlu immunization if available?
yes 99 50.00%
no 67 33.84%
maybe 29 14.65%
other, explain below 3 1.52%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 07:29 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstyfi View Post
LOL this is just blatant fear mongering.
LOL so is the media pushing death stats, saying everything will make you get COVID and then turning around last minute saying "oops, jk", wearing a mask and freaking out over a virus that's only "killed" (see CDC guidelines as to how they count a COVID-19 death) 100K people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 07:29 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
With a less than 100% effectiveness the vaccine may also be nothing more than a placebo engineered to provide the illusion of safety and well being. What exactly does the vaccine do other than expose the individual to a weakened variant of that particular pharmaceutically created strain of which the injected person may not likely ever encounter again. The vaccinated individual could actually contract a significantly stronger and much more potent variant of the disease to which the body would be unable to process or defend itself.
First off, we know the MMR to be safe.
Second, it would be given to those at high risk for infection and complications. So the benefit/risk should be high.
Third, we should easily do studies to prove its worth in a short time frame from today. If it's no better than a placebo, then we're quickly done with it, and with little fuss, worry, bother and expense.

It may well be that the currently immuno-suppressed cannot benefit from this vaccination.
But for most people, a live attenuated virus is not pathogenic. And if the patients immune system responds favorably to it, then they might develop long lasting immunity to covid 19.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...207v1.full.pdf

https://www.skinbodyhealth.com/wp-co...del_Noverr.pdf

Old 05-28-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Generally speaking, I'm not in favor of mandating anything, but consider: until we achieve herd immunity, we are likely to continue to see cases, probably wave after wave, and will never fully re-open, but require restrictions and social distancing. There are two ways to get herd immunity. 1) 70% or more of the population gets infected. This would take years, and cost hundreds of thousands of lives. 2) 70% or more get vaccinated.

I assume we would all like to see our country go back to business as usual. The quickest and safest way to do that is through immunization.
Another way forward would be with a treatment that might stop the illness in its tracks, but may not confer long lasting immunity.

https://neurosciencenews.com/coronav...ntibody-16335/

Old 05-28-2020, 07:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Only half of Americans would get a COVID-19 vaccine - would you?

I might, but only after enough testing that we're not likely to see a repeat of the swine flu fiasco back in the Seventies.
The 1976 vaccine was a whole other situation and was mostly politically motivated. Gerald Ford tried to vaccinate every single American for a disease that was not fatal and had mild effect. And as bad as the GBS syndrome side effect of the vaccine was, it only affected 1 in 100,000 innoculations (0.001%)

In this case, COVID is a lethal disease especially for older people. Assuming there would be a nasty side effect, 1 in 100,000 would not be unreasonable odds to take. But if you're especially concerned, you can make sure that the vaccine proposed for COVID is not a live strain version like in 1976.

Here are the 124 COVID vaccines in the pipeline:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=c457438f_2

most are inactivated. You can bet that those which are not are being subjected to additional safety testing

Old 05-28-2020, 07:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
I doubt I would.

I get a flu shot sometimes, and sometimes I don't. Not really an anti-vaxx thing, just accept the way viruses and sickness work. Flu shots are an educated guess every year, and so too will be the vaccine for COVID.

I realize the virtue signalers will say I am endangering others, but where viruses are concerned, simply going outside does that, and not just for COVID, but for a host of infectious stuff. We all do it every day, and this new thing is just a new thing for busybodies to scold people over.

Whatever. I don't trust the government to do basic arithmetic. I sure as hell am not trusting them to stick a foreign substance in my body that they developed in a hurry and for a political purpose. So I'll sit back, let 100 million people buy into that foolishness, wait a year, see how the results look...then maybe, if it becomes the same annual placebo that keeps my wife from hollering at me...maybe...

Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
IFlu shots are an educated guess every year, and so too will be the vaccine for COVID
not even close, completely different virus

Old 05-28-2020, 10:25 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Maybe has something to do with the level of fecal coliform bacteria in the air.
Could be. Back then though, in the 90's, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is now. The city started tanking big time towards the end of the 90's. Just wait until there's a sizable earthquake there. So much construction is going to come down because they've been building so much with terrible designs, materials, etc. Just look at the Millennium Tower for one example. It's sinking and leaning.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...meline-2018-10

Another example is the recently constructed Transit Center Building. A main beam failed within weeks of it's "Grand Opening" and this happened under normal operating conditions. Just wait until a large earthquake hits it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/26/65174...r-cracked-beam

And yet another example is the San Francisco Bay Bridge, Eastern Span project. One thing to note about this project is the new bridge replacement section was actually manufactured in China and then floated over to San Francisco in sections. Once it was all floated over in sections, those sections were then assembled in place to complete the bridge. The original section of bridge was made from America Steel, constructed and put into place by Americans. The current local government had the Chinese construct it with Chinese materials and fabrication.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...-a-6021955.php

These three are just some of the really big projects over the last 10 or so years. And it's all going to come crashing down when the next earthquake hits. Last big one was in 89'. And the damage caused by the next one is going to be tremendously devastating because of all the shotty bs construction that's been going on over the past decade or so.

I don't live there though, so "f" it!

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-28-2020 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Could be. Back then though, in the 90's, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is now. The city started tanking big time towards the end of the 90's. Just wait until there's a sizable earthquake there. So much construction is going to come down because they've been building so much with terrible designs, materials, etc. Just look at the Millennium Tower for one example. It's sinking and leaning.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...meline-2018-10

Another example is the recently constructed Transit Center Building. A main beam failed within weeks of it's "Grand Opening" and this happened under normal operating conditions. Just wait until a large earthquake hits it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/26/65174...r-cracked-beam

And yet another example is the San Francisco Bay Bridge, Eastern Span project. One thing to note about this project is the new bridge replacement section was actually manufactured in China and then floated over to San Francisco in sections. Once it was all floated over in sections, those sections were then assembled in place to complete the bridge. The original section of bridge was made from America Steel, constructed and put into place by Americans. The current local government had the Chinese construct it with Chinese materials and fabrication.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...ks-5217783.php

These three are just some of the really big projects over the last 10 or so years. And it's all going to come crashing down when the next earthquake hits. Last big one was in 89'. And the damage caused by the next one is going to be tremendously devastating because of all the shotty bs construction that's been going on over the past decade or so.

I don't live there though, so "f" it!

As it has been watching the decline of Seattle, it's a heartbreak to watch the destruction of a once beautiful city.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 PM

The Covid 19 virus has been out in the world longer than in the USA, and other countries have been working at it longer. Especially China.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-be-effective?

Old 05-29-2020, 09:32 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
We need safe vaccines, not ones contaminated with an assortment of animal viruses and additives. I don't understand why some enterprising pharmaceutical company can't create one. They'd corner the vaccine market.

Unless the goal is depopulation. Then it all makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies