Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a coronavirus/COVID-19/WuFlu immunization if available?
yes 99 50.00%
no 67 33.84%
maybe 29 14.65%
other, explain below 3 1.52%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 PM

805 posts, read 1,087,113 times

Advertisements

As I was saying the other day, this forum is an excellent cross-section of American society writ large. National polls that recently indicated nearly half of Americans would not get a vaccine. This CD poll is nearly spot-on- 42 no/maybe; 38 yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:47 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,640,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? We are wasting time and money to produce a vaccine for a virus with a 99% survival rate without it? Oh right...fearmongering....
Just because it might work this year doesn't mean the vaccine would work next year. Viruses mutate.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:15 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,369,752 times
Only half of Americans would get a COVID-19 vaccine - would you?

I might, but only after enough testing that we're not likely to see a repeat of the swine flu fiasco back in the Seventies.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:19 PM

1,772 posts, read 720,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? We are wasting time and money to produce a vaccine for a virus with a 99% survival rate without it? Oh right...fearmongering....
Why have any flu vaccines at all then?
I would get it not because I'm afraid of death, but because being sick for a week would suck.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:19 PM

37,188 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm all for that. But it must be done correctly. There hasn't been a vaccine for a coronavirus ever developed, and the closest one, the flu vaccine, isn't even very effective and has injured millions of people.

This vaccine should be properly vetted and tested before it's put to market. I don't like the idea of putting out a vaccine in less than a year and then having people be guinea pigs. Especially since an RNA vaccine hasn't ever been done before and it seems like this one will be RNA based. Very very dangerous stuff. This isn't your basic tetanus or hepatitis vaccine.
An RNA vaccine is only one option. Do not worry, once the RNA gives its message to the cell to produce an antigen that will result in an immune response, the RNA is degraded. It is not there permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If the vaccine is given proper testing/vetting vs. "fast tracked" because of the pandemic, I would get it.

If they rush it to market in less than 18mos with only cursory testing prior to "emergency" approval by the FDA, I'll wait.
"Fast tracked" just means the paperwork is expedited. The testing still has to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
If you say so.
If the shoe fits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post

Especially mrna vaccines that could potentially alter your DNA/genetics!
They do not do that.

RNA vaccines: a novel technology to prevent and treat disease - Science in the News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If you've had a covid 19 infection and are antibody positive, here is a study:

Recruiting Covid-19 Survivors/Recovered Patient- MMR titers needed to assess if MMR vaccine can lessen Covid -19 severity
Was your wife tested, too? I hope she is continuing to feel better.

I have been watching Oceania since measles out breaks there recently led to intensive MMR vax campaigns.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...anization.html

In addition to the homology between the rubella vaccine and the coronavirus, there is also the nonspecific effect of measles vaccine on reducing the risk of getting other infections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
It looks like what they're trying to push, yes. It's starting with contact tracing and sadly, I think it may get to this level.

Because never have I ever seen this kind of odd Orwellian response to a bad flu that has a 99.8% survival rate.
Contact tracing is standard epidemiology. No one is going to put you on a train to a concentration camp.

It is not a "bad flu" because it is not "a flu" at all. It is an entirely different virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not only that, but corona virus has been around forever, and they haven't managed to make a vaccine for any of them. But people think this time it will be different.

The one that they have been using for cats who get FIP, which is caused by a corona virus, and they've been getting it long before this virus came around, is highly controversial - so even for cats they can't come up with a vaccine that everyone agrees with.

So, hell no, I will not get this vaccine. The way that these governments have been handling all of this, and continue to handle all of this, and how they may handle it in the near future, I trust all of this even less than I do now.

"Rush to create a vaccine" - the fact that those words do not instill at least a small amount of skepticism, or fear, in some people, is alarming. And people wonder how things like Jonestown could have happened.
There is a canine coronavirus vaccine, too. If the experts thought making one would be impossible they would not even try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunswithguns View Post
I won't take a vaccine. I'm healthy and I trust my immune system. It's the same reason I won't wear a mask. I'm not scared.
Not scared ... and have no consideration for the effect on others if you do get sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Just because it might work this year doesn't mean the vaccine would work next year. Viruses mutate.
All viruses mutate. This one is not showing mutations that might affect the antigens that will be targets for vaccines.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,640,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It may be that an old vaccine can intervene and improve on outcomes.
With a less than 100% effectiveness the vaccine may also be nothing more than a placebo engineered to provide the illusion of safety and well being. What exactly does the vaccine do other than expose the individual to a weakened variant of that particular pharmaceutically created strain of which the injected person may not likely ever encounter again. The vaccinated individual could actually contract a significantly stronger and much more potent variant of the disease to which the body would be unable to process or defend itself.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:12 AM

1,066 posts, read 632,241 times
To me, I won’t vaccinate. I would rather just get it and build immunity.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:25 AM

13,684 posts, read 4,975,082 times
Generally speaking, I'm not in favor of mandating anything, but consider: until we achieve herd immunity, we are likely to continue to see cases, probably wave after wave, and will never fully re-open, but require restrictions and social distancing. There are two ways to get herd immunity. 1) 70% or more of the population gets infected. This would take years, and cost hundreds of thousands of lives. 2) 70% or more get vaccinated.

I assume we would all like to see our country go back to business as usual. The quickest and safest way to do that is through immunization.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 AM

18,874 posts, read 8,524,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Was your wife tested, too? I hope she is continuing to feel better.

I have been watching Oceania since measles out breaks there recently led to intensive MMR vax campaigns.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...anization.html

In addition to the homology between the rubella vaccine and the coronavirus, there is also the nonspecific effect of measles vaccine on reducing the risk of getting other infections.
Boy are you staying busy - and doing a great job here on the forum!

My wife is still not well as the virus turned off her donor bone marrow. We're about 10 weeks into it and she still needs supports like procrit and neupogen. She gets a Covid 19 AB test with her labs next week.

Thanks for your concern.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,655,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstyfi View Post
The virus is still here and will be here along with the flu. It's going to get worse as the fall/winter comes. So be prepared to be denied employment, entrance into gov buildings, schools, ect.
Do you have proof of this?

Also, the vaccine isn't out yet, so how can you be denied employment, etc yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies