Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a coronavirus/COVID-19/WuFlu immunization if available?
yes 99 50.00%
no 67 33.84%
maybe 29 14.65%
other, explain below 3 1.52%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Are you also perplexed about why they give a flu vaccine every year? I am assuming you always reject those too?

I'd be in favor of making all flu vaccines either mandatory - or regulate movement of unvaccinated. Why wouldn't we? It would surely prevent a lot of unnecessary deaths.
Flu vaccine is mostly useless, that's why school kids aren't required to have it. Presumably the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will be 9X% effective and the disease is much more deadly so it makes sense to get the shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The French and other Europeans live in free societies as well, but they are on average more responsible, unlike many Americans with their excessive egoism and childish rebel attitude.
That egoism and rebel attitude led to the revolution and founded generations of self sufficient entrepreneurs. There is a lot of negative associated with it but by and large is has made America the strongest country in the history of humanity

Old 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That egoism and rebel attitude led to the revolution and founded generations of self sufficient entrepreneurs. There is a lot of negative associated with it but by and large is has made America the strongest country in the history of humanity
Today it is merely for the sake of it, not because there is a real cause. That is why American society is such an ugly mess today.

That view is very distorted. One has to see countries in the context of their time. The Roman and other old empires were much stronger and left a cultural legacy.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:42 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If any of these viruses killed kids in enough numbers it would be more mandatory. Influenza and covid 19 do not as of now.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious here. Are you suggesting that the lives of "old people" don't have the same value as "kids"?

By the end of the year Covid will have killed 150,000 or so in the US - just as a guess, and that's with a major social distancing effort, and assuming no big resurgence. In a bad flu year we could lose over 60,000.

Here is the data about flu deaths in un-vaccinated versus vaccinated children:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm

"During past seasons, approximately 80% of flu-associated deaths in children have occurred in children who were not vaccinated."

Old 06-03-2020, 12:47 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all. But I wouldn't get this COVID-19 vaccine.

The virus is decreasing, so what is even the need? On top of that, a rushed vaccine with little time to test long-term effects is a BAAAAAD idea.

I have a feeling that they'll try to make this mandatory and if you don't take it, you can't go to work, flights, stores, etc. But this virus has a 99.8% survival rate, so I'm perplexed as to why this is even needed.
99.8% survival rate? Tell that to Grandma.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
This is simply cherry picking one aspect of American culture that fits a political agenda. Other American strengths are our ingenuity and intelligence, which is the reason why we have some of the greatest scientists and engineers in the world. I don't think you will find many of those folks rejecting the science of epidemiology.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Flu vaccine is mostly useless, that's why school kids aren't required to have it. Presumably the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will be 9X% effective and the disease is much more deadly so it makes sense to get the shot
Worth repeating here:

"During past seasons, approximately 80% of flu-associated deaths in children have occurred in children who were not vaccinated."

Let me guess - you don't believe the CDC? Alternative facts?

Old 06-03-2020, 12:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
The problem is we don't really know how deadly the virus is because we do not know how many people are already infected. We know more or less how many people are dying from it, but we don't know of how many infected.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:58 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
99.8% survival rate? Tell that to Grandma.
Spare me with the grandma talk while people are out literally protesting and not doing any of the suggested stuff liek distancing or masks.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Worth repeating here:

Let me guess - you don't believe the CDC? Alternative facts?
No I support good science and my family has all their CDC schedule innoculations. I sometimes get the Flu vaccine but not usually. It's not critical because they have to guess which strain the vaccine is for and they have been getting it wrong recently. My kids get the flu shot every year, and I probably should too, but it does not rise to the need to be madatory for certain public places like a measles or COVID vaccine should be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies