Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2020, 10:31 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Yet you and others are okay with what the left says about us. Okay, got it.
He’s one of those people who say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 10:32 AM

1,134 posts, read 404,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
don't you mean "a minority of a minority does not make a majority" with the exception of police officers?
That's a great reply. Many people who correctly say we shouldn't paint a group or race of people based on a small percentage of them, turn the other way and do that exact thing about the Police.

And for the original question of the thread, the looting and vandalizing I've watching on TV for days sure doesn't help race relations, it has a strong chance of hurting them further. And here's why:

The people I've seen in all the protests so far have been a mix of races. Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Asians. Very diversified. But watching all the looting on live TV especially in Santa Monica, the overwhelming majority were Blacks. People don't have to take my word for it, go watch the videos. Many of those looters had driven into the area from other parts of Los Angeles. There were hundreds of them.

All those residents and small business owners in Santa Monica watched that happen on live TV as their retail district was looted and destroyed with fires set in several cases.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I grew up in the ‘70s and ‘80s when black on white crime was much more of a problem. In fact, that’s all I’ve ever known, and I’m 51 years old. I don’t hate all black people though. In fact, I’ve never had anything but positive interactions with black people. I do not judge groups of people by the actions of individuals.
I grew up in a black majority community and just chose to escape that environment. I have personal family members victimized by violent black crime as well. At the same time, some of the nicest people I know are black so I don't judge them are have bad feelings about them I just know I want to avoid living near a large number to avoid situations like we are seeing now.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:34 AM

15,634 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I don't think riots create racism, but the plethora of images of the people perpetuating violence, property destruction, and looting reinforce stereotypes.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:36 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I know. Many individuals already look down on Black Americans, even if it isn't vocalized alot. On the one hand, I know the riots aren't going to make this any better. There were certainly Whites involved in this, but Blacks will be heavily associated with it. This will not help Black people at all. And the persons who will pay for it the most will be individuals like myself, who aren't rioting or causing problems.

On the flip, I know there are some people who have given up. Some people will riot no matter what. Some people are angry, don't care, aren't thinking about the future. It's all about retribution right here and now. Those persons aren't going to heed any calls of people like us speaking up. Some people's minds are gone. I don't condone attacks on Whites who are doing nothing to anyone. The sad thing is, said individuals doing the attacking understand nothing but violence.

In the end, the innocent pay. I think about some of the stuff I went through in high school. Being that bookish nerd didn't prevent me from experiencing racism at the hands of my own peers. It didn't stop some kid from threatening to hang me. It didn't stop me from experiencing racism from other individuals in my life.
LOL, I knew some bookish nerd blacks growing up and they were harshly treated by the mob elements like what we are seeing on tv. I was threatened and intimated daily considering I rode a bus where I was the only white male and played on basketball teams where I was the only white player and my coaches were also black and I was the best player on the team.

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
even black people...group all black people together....who started that crap

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Let me answer in this manner please however let’s reframe the question and take the color out

My town Was burned and looted 2 days ago
Because a trolly cop shoved a belligerent passenger
Lots of pics of the arsonists and looters brown black White
It simply was not a black event
When the Japanese during Ww2 were put on oil embargo by Roosevelt their response was to attack Pearl Harbor
Did they think that would lift the embargo?

Old 06-02-2020, 10:37 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This ^^^^

Racists will have their racist beliefs confirmed. Non-racists will see the riots as the unfortunate consequence of a racist system.
I’m not a racist, and I don’t see this as a consequence of a racist system. It’s a consequence of crowd manipulation and mob mentality.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:38 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think this is more a reflection on white America at the moment. A lot of the looting/rioting is white anarchist types who are being prodded/set up by white supremacists and right wing groups. Black people are just pawns for those particular people.

In my city the rioters and the protesters were two different groups. And while some blacks were there, the second day folks were very white, very young, an seemed to largely be from elsewhere.

And the number of people claiming there were exactly four bad cops with random and totally dissimilar actions baffles my minds. The people who had jack to say about the recent murders but are in full meltdown over looting disgust me.
Those white people are antifa, and they have nothing to do with right wing groups. They are far left and often have both anarchist and communist sympathies, despite the obvious hypocrisies involved in espousing both ideologies simultaneously. Oh and you lost your narrative when you decided to say that people who disagree with you about looting being OK disgust you. There's a name for people like you but if I said what it was I'd be guilty of letting hate beget hate. Or disgust begetting disgust. Remember, Jesus Saves.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So do the visual images of Blacks burning buildings, beating up old people, running out of stores loaded with merchandise, killing...

......affect your views towards Blacks ? Do these violent actions actually create more Racism?
There are too many whites in the mix to blame it all on blacks. As a matter of fact many of the agitators are white with an agenda to increase racial tension. That is the only reason white supremacists injected themselves into the mix. Anti-farts are there because they actually hate cops, and want to stir up as much trouble as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies