Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 08:43 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times

Advertisements

I’m half Lebanese and not lily white at all. Do I have white or brown privilege? It’s all so confusing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I have been to Africa a couple of times. Whites there are treated with privilege as well. They are assumed to be of greater importance and standing than African American visitors.

And yet, every black African country has a black leader. And black police forces, and are in control of every apparatus of government and authority.

That a white person can come in and be given special status as a VISITOR... is not the same as running things.

Pretty people get treated better than ugly people. Taller people, better than short ones. Smarter people, better than dumb people. But in Africa, Asia, Latin America... NO COUNTRY OR RACE is as open and accommodating of people of othe races and backgrounds than white folks. White folks trip over themselves to show how open and accepting they are.

Try your mess in an Arabic country. The same Arabs who started the trans-African slave trade hundreds of years before the Euros got involved, and CONTINUED the trans-African slave trade TO THIS DAY... are marching hand in hand decrying "solidarity with black folks" against "white oppression."

This is clown world. And this circus tent is falling down.

6 posts, read 1,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Whose fault is that?
First of all...don't visit Africa. Don't visit the Caribbean either. Let those countries be great without you all coming to "explore" and EXPLOIT! Stay in your lovely America. What are you leaving for anyway? This is the amazing land of the free right??

Old 06-03-2020, 08:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
There IS one privilege.

Money privilege.

If you can buy a congressman you have that privilege. You get most of the financial/ regulatory/ anti trust laws you want. You even get congress to bury a tax cut for you inside a stimulus bill where noone can seem to figure out who put that tax cut in. Then you let the peons fight over abortion and other things you do not care about.
Is that why Ving Rhames was confronted by police in his own house? Pretty sure he's got a couple of bucks to rub together.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-gunpoint-home

If Ving was white would the neighbors have called the cops to say "a large white man" was breaking in to the home? HIGHLY doubtful.

Some more examples that were linked in the article about Rhames:

...After the Starbucks incident, numerous other examples quickly emerged via news reports and social media. In New Jersey, two black men had police called on them by staff at a gym after being falsely accused of working out without proper memberships. Police in California swarmed three black women leaving an Airbnb when a neighbor concluded they were in the midst of a robbery. A woman in Oakland called the police on black residents for barbecuing in a park, and, at Yale University, a white woman called police on a black fellow student for falling asleep in a dorm common area...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-how-to-fix-it

White privilege is real. It doesn't make us white folks guilty of anything just for being white. No more than being attractive or tall does. Luck of the draw and acknowledging that luck doesn't cost you or me anything.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:45 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
You can go to any city in America.....and find a white music station playing music that whites like to listen to. You probably never even think about that. If I am listening to terrestrial radio....and leave outside the range of the metros black radio signal (if the city has such a station).....there is no music on the radio that I like. Being white you can pretty much go everywhere and have things that cater to you or your interest.
That is old boomer music *on the radio*. Hip hop and rap rules youth culture. It isn't the 80s anymore.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
My father is Black and my mother is White... She worked herself to death and I can tell you that she NEVER had any of this false White Privilege thing cuz her life was hard from the beginning. My mother was German and Swedish...And that is as White as you can be... Period. If White privilege was real, she should have had the life of luxury, but the truth is that this “White privilege” theory is pure BS.

My mother’s Mid-Western life was almost as hard as my father’s life and he was born in the South... In the mid 1930s!!

In the United States, the only privilege here is MONEY... If you have money, you have real privilege. Point and case, if White privilege was real AND that powerful, then how could O.J. Simpson, a then wealthy, Black man murder two White people??

The answer is MONEY!! Back then, O.J. was pretty well off.... This is simple proof that Money is the only real privilege in America.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:47 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
Quote:
You can go to any city in America.....and find a white music station playing music that whites like to listen to. You probably never even think about that. If I am listening to terrestrial radio....and leave outside the range of the metros black radio signal (if the city has such a station).....there is no music on the radio that I like. Being white you can pretty much go everywhere and have things that cater to you or your interest.
Oh woe is me! You can’t hear the music you want to hear when you want to! What will you do?! Sheesh, your life must be pretty good if this is something that is even on your radar.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is old boomer music *on the radio*. Hip hop and rap rules youth culture. It isn't the 80s anymore.
Not all black people listen to hip hop. Many black people still like R and B. Most of America, by the way, is not youth.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:48 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmont View Post
First of all...don't visit Africa. Don't visit the Caribbean either. Let those countries be great without you all coming to "explore" and EXPLOIT! Stay in your lovely America. What are you leaving for anyway? This is the amazing land of the free right??
They invite tourist money.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Oh woe is me! You can’t hear the music you want to hear when you want to! What will you do?! Sheesh, your life must be pretty good if this is something that is even on your radar.
Privilege is not always a WOE IS ME argument. No one asked me to present a white privilege that results in sever hardship for those who are not white...lol. I am simply saying that there are MANY things that whites have that they do not even notice they have.....because they have always had them...but others do not.

People say white privilege does not exist. I just demonstrated that it does. Its the net impact of all the privileges and disadvantages. Every race has privileges and disadvantages that people have. The sum total of that for white people results in overall white privilege, which is why whites got ahead and stay ahead socioeconomically in the US. The sum total of the privileges and disadvantages of being black in America totals to black disadvantage, which is how blacks got behind socioeconomically and why we are still behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies