Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

So Rush Limbaugh has been on the air since 1988. I don't think there is one single person in the history of the US who has ever been responsible for so much damage.

When he started out, he was the kind of funny that when you heard his show you'd laugh because you couldn't believe what you were hearing. So outrageous that it was shocking/funny. And just plain old funny was his Spatula City hoax, which still makes me laugh. I mean really, these women who would call his show saying they were driving around and where exactly was Spatula City? I'm sorry, that's just funny I don't care who you are.

And then his detractors called him misogynistic, and he laughed about that and told the women in the audience that if they desired to call in and participate in his radio show, they'd have to send a photo of themselves ahead of time and when they called in the staff would decide if they were good-looking enough to take the woman's call. His office was FLOODED with pictures of women. Now that's just funny, and puts people on notice that if you're a detractor, you're not going to win.

Fast forward to the election of 2008. Hilary Clinton and Obama were in the democratic primary. Rush believed that Obama could not defeat McCain but Hilary probably could, so he amassed an army of "primary jumpers" to vote in the democratic party for Obama, instead of voting in their own republic party, and that's the margin that gave Obama the slot to run against, and despite Limbaugh's beliefs, beat McCain.

Then. Leading up to the primaries in the election of 2016, Trump would NOT have won the primary had Limbaugh not been 4-square in his court, sanitizing and excusing the outrageous things Trump was saying and doing, most notably mocking the disabled reporter. Had Limbaugh, who is incredibly persuasive and smooth, not paved the way for Trump, we wouldn't be here where we are. With this absolute buffoon as a president.

Wondering if, in fact, Trump has brought down the Great American Experiment.

NOTE: I did all this strictly from memory, as a long-time listener, so please excuse me if some of the finer details are inaccurate.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:24 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Well it was hardly just Limbaugh.

The rest of the media including left leaning media like CNN were also responsible for boosting Trump in the primary. They all wanted ratings and most thought the joke would end at some point. Sadly, it didn’t.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:26 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
IIRC, Rush was not pro-Trump until the momentum towards him made Trump's nomination a foregone conclusion. I remember Rush being all in for Ted Cruz, whom he labeled an "ideological conservative."

Old 06-03-2020, 05:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Limbaugh is a cancer to American discourse, and soon he will eat himself into darkness.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
IIRC, Rush was not pro-Trump until the momentum towards him made Trump's nomination a foregone conclusion. I remember Rush being all in for Ted Cruz, whom he labeled an "ideological conservative."
No. I agree that Rush wasn't pro-Trump in the beginning, but before Trump was front runner he was fully behind him. I recall a few of his avid fans actually calling and saying they loved listening to him, but was this a joke that he was for Trump? Or did he really mean it??

Old 06-03-2020, 05:29 PM

860 posts, read 321,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So Rush Limbaugh has been on the air since 1988. I don't think there is one single person in the history of the US who has ever been responsible for so much damage.
Rush is far less dangerous than CNN & MSNBC. There is only 1 Rush. There are thousands of leftist extremists working for CNN and MSNBC. Think about that.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Rush is far less dangerous than CNN & MSNBC. There is only 1 Rush. There are thousands of leftist extremists working for CNN and MSNBC. Think about that.
There's only one Rush, but you don't need more than one.

He is a master at his craft.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I think you're not sensing the palpable fear the majority is feeling
Have you, your side, ever thought about just calming down and stop over reacting over everything? Your side was telling Republicans to sit the hell down and shut up when the first biracial man was elected POTUS in 2008 and now here you all are foaming at the mouth. Maybe your side should seek some professional help to get your emotions and fears in check.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
There's only one Rush, but you don't need more than one.

He is a master at his craft.
Chill Clara. Chill. You are spreading more fear than anyone else.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Brody View Post
Have you, your side, ever thought about just calming down and stop over reacting over everything? Your side was telling Republicans to sit the hell down and shut up when the first biracial man was elected POTUS in 2008 and now here you all are foaming at the mouth. Maybe your side should seek some professional help to get your emotions and fears in check.
I'm smack in the center, but anyway.

And I'm not worked up. I'm sitting very calmly reflecting, on how we got where we are today.

On the night of 9/11/2001, I thought this is it. We're done for. We've got a crisis on our hands and a president that I wasn't sure was up to leading us through. Boy was that idea wrong. He was MORE than capable of leading us, and did a fabulous job of holding us all united and feeling empowered again. (Not all his decisions worked out, but by and large, he did an admirable job with the intel he had).

As fearful as I was that night, I've never felt the shock and dismay I felt when Trump called the military out on his own fellow citizens exercising their constitutional rights - and he KNEW it. The park police could have handled unlawful behavior, and had been doing it. Our US military was NOT necessary to be weaponized against our fellow citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies