Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 10:52 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,479,507 times

Advertisements

Are the Democrats nervous about the economy roaring back?

I am not nervous at all.

I want the economy to come roaring back, for sure! I want to work, I am ready and willing.

I am looking forward to two things in the near future: A revitalized and robust economy, and a new more competent president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:53 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,631,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
LMAO...blah blah blah. I Hate America? Grow the hell up.
Hit a nerve, eh?

Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have 5 long months till election day, and a lot can happen. They have been predicting a second round of the virus in the fall, and that looks very likely now, given that people have relaxed all their precautions and are acting recklessly as if it never happened.

So, come November I bet we are seeing a huge increase in deaths and infections, which should impact Trump's chances.
If we have a huge increase, it will because we’ve had crowds of as many as 20,000 in every major city in the country, and with leftist mayors and governors not only defending the behavior of the peaceful protestors, but allowing masses of thieves to break into stores and carry out all the loot their could.

It was just 9 days ago that the governor of my state, in consult with the liberal officials area, finally allowed us to move into Phase 1, which demands social distancing, masks, no indoor dining, all sorts of restrictions. Yet at the same time, leftist leaders were making excuses for criminals gathering en masse.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:04 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,631,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
If we have a huge increase, it will because we’ve had crowds of as many as 20,000 in every major city in the country, and with leftist mayors and governors not only defending the behavior of the peaceful protestors, but allowing masses of thieves to break into stores and carry out all the loot their could.

It was just 9 days ago that the governor of my state, in consult with the liberal officials area, finally allowed us to move into Phase 1, which demands social distancing, masks, no indoor dining, all sorts of restrictions. Yet at the same time, leftist leaders were making excuses for criminals gathering en masse.
Shows not only the hypocrisy of the Democrats and Media, but that the Virus response was largely a SCAM and way to crash the economy. You can't conduct normal business, but it is OK to protest, riot, loot, burn and be in large crowds with no precautions.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:14 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,324,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
If the economy makes a huge rebound in the next 5 months, I think Trump will be re-elected. With things reopening and the stock market rebounding, we are on an upward road. Does that make Democrats worried?

The economy coming back does not worry me. The idea that everyone will forget Trump's failures, his assault on American values, his absolute FAILURE in addressing COVID, and his dispicable fanning of the race flames during the Floyd crisis is what has me worried.

If people remember who Trump REALLY is, then the economy won't save him.

My retirement depends on a good economy, I want a good economy. I will never wish against that, EVER. But it does worry me that voters have a short memory, and if they are comfy, they may not come out on voting day. I know this, if the election was today (and Trump didn't restrict too many voters), he'd be out.

I hope we are at $35k on the DJIA, and at full employment, and I hope the American people show up in unprecidented numbers to vote him out. I hope the economy is BOOMING, so there is no confusion as to why he is soundly beaten.

I don't think that is a foregone conclusion, but since you asked, THAT is my hope.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:18 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,479,507 times
Quote:
If the economy makes a huge rebound in the next 5 months, ...
I have always thought that Trump placed too much emphasis on the economy. It could possibly be worth a couple of points in some areas, but for the most part people had already made up their own minds about Trump.

By pinning so much of his hopes on the economy, Trump was basically admitting he had nothing else to run on.

That was the only thing Trump had in his favor, the one and only thing, but the economy was booming before he took office and most people realize that. So it wasn't that Trump built a strong economy, it was that some of his policies might have prolonged the boom, like his tax breaks for the rich and foreign globalist corporations, that sort of thing. But those policies put us in a bad place, we had no reserve resources left after running huge deficits. No more tricks in the bag, so to say, and people knew that. People were becoming aware that these deficits are threatening their Social Security and Medicare, threatening the ecology, threatening even the Pentagon budget. Trump was ok with that.

"You all just got a lot richer"
Donald J Trump

He wasn't talking to you and I.

Each succeeding year of that very long boom (ten years!) was going to make it harder to sustain. If we had had a downturn in 2017 or 2018 we would already be in recovery mode right now, and Trump supporters would be claiming that he is an economic genius

In other words, Trump (and his campaign) were placing far too much hope on the 'long in the tooth' economy pulling them through to victory. It was never going to be like that.

Now, placing hopes on a unique 'once in a thousand years' super-booming recovery is a fool's errand. But that's all he's got to work with.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:25 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,835,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nope ---- economy rebounding has nothing to do with Trump.
So that means you can never blame the economy tanking on him ever again.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:27 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,404,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hit a nerve, eh?
LOL..not even close. Just noting lunacy when it surfaces.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,488,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They are definitely concerned about the growing possibility that they will have to get a job and support themselves again. It's about the worst outcome imaginable for democrats.
I hate to burst your little snot bubble but it`s the GOP`s base who`s getting most of the free stuff.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...curity/516861/

Old 06-07-2020, 11:39 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,404,337 times
Quote:
So that means you can never blame the economy tanking on him ever again.
The following is not directed at you as your thread is asking a different question. But to the general question you ask above:

One of the great enduring stupidities of political ideologues (of any stripe) in the USA is the belief that the state of the U.S. economy at any given moment is a reflection of the intelligence and wisdom of the chief executive of the federal government and a result of the excellence or insufficiency of his/her administration

The belief that GDP growth or this month’s jobs report provides a meaningful judgment on the performance of the president isn’t economics it is superstition. It is the modern version of the ancient belief that a crop failure means that the king has displeased the rain god or the wheat goddess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies