Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 01:34 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Guess what, you do not have to show your ID to a cop...unless you are under suspicion of committing a crime!!

There is actually a great video of this, where someone calls the police on this guy walking down the street (minding his own business). police approach him and ask for ID, he refuses, and asks what he is suspected of...they continue to ask for ID and he refuses, long story short, a police supervisor eventually came out, and it turned out this guy was a constitutional law expert/ attorney...he was totally in the right!

Parents need to start teaching their kids their RIGHTS (as it relates to dealing with police), instead of just telling them to OBEY and COMPLY with EVERYTHING! Police are most definitely going to use everything they can (within their rights) to detain or arrest you...why should civilians be any different?!
Was he a black guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 01:48 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
As a side question I have never heard of parking in the wrong direction on a residential street. How does one know which is the proper direction to park. Are their signs or is it common knowledge.
You have to park the direction the traffic goes.

I got warned and it was a side street, no cars at all, I was actually unloading some stuff into this small business gated parking lot, I was too lazy to open the gate and drive in, so I just swung in and parked, but facing opposite traffic. The cop drove by after I was done and about to leave.

It suppose to be common knowledge, but I am thinking it is one of those things no one really gives much thought to.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Yea, I see cops standing around parked cars all the time as they wait for the owner to return from wherever they are so the cops can look at their license and write the parking ticket.

And who would they write the parking ticket to, Amazon?

The driver parked illegally, so the driver is responsible for the violation.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
So he was parked on a residential street facing the wrong way. Officer told him he he couldn't park like that. Why did the officer even bother asking for a license? It's illegal parking, give the guy a ticket, and move on.
Who cares why he asked? The cop asks to see your license after you are caught doing something illegal? You comply.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:25 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
From a MI lawyer website.

There’s often a great deal of confusion regarding when a police officer can ask for identification. In the State of Michigan, there is no Stop and ID law. That means a police officer can’t demand to see your identification unless they have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

Being forced to produce identification in situations where the police may be unable to prove reasonable cause for suspicion is more than just a procedural error. Being illegally forced to show your ID is a potentially significant legal issue, one that may be used to invalidate criminal charges or to have a legal case dismissed.

In Michigan parking tickets are civil violations, not crimes.
The "Stop and ID law" is for random people just walking around. This guy was not just randomly walking around, he was at his Amazon truck parked on the wrong side of the street.

You also misunderstand "crime". It doesn't have to be something big like burglary, it can be as simple as parking on the wrong side of the street. Is that legal? No. Guess what that makes it?

Just like speeding - it isn't murder, it's not theft, but it's still a crime. It's not legal. That's why people get pulled over, and can get tickets, which have fines. Because it's a crime. We call it "violation", but it's still a crime.

Quote:
As a side question I have never heard of parking in the wrong direction on a residential street. How does one know which is the proper direction to park. Are their signs or is it common knowledge.
Seriously? This is common sense. Which way does traffic go on that side of the street? That's the way your front end should be pointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Parking against the traffic flow, ie, driver would have to be driving towards oncoming traffic to get into that parking position. It’s a stupid rule that police use to mess with you.
It's not a "stupid rule" just because you don't like it. It prevents people from pulling out into oncoming traffic and causing an accident.

JC, did no one here take driver's ed?

As for Mr. Big Shot, had he not argued with the cop and walked away, the cop, more than likely would have just told him not to park there and it would have been over with. But no, he had to run his mouth and walk off like he was a teenager dealing with his mother.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-11-2020 at 04:34 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 05:15 AM

78,449 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
'Why bother asking for a license, just give the guy a ticket'? Whose name, address, etc., should the cop put on the ticket?
Robr2, paging....robr2.....where did you go?

I guess the police should just um, take the persons word for it when they get a ticket.

Would be funny if they did that and the governor started getting 500 tickets a week.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Why did the officer even bother asking for a license? It's illegal parking, give the guy a ticket, and move on.

You would need to produce a license so they can give you a ticket. For something like that they might not even give you a ticket once you produce the ID, registration and insurance.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:38 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
'Why bother asking for a license, just give the guy a ticket'? Whose name, address, etc., should the cop put on the ticket?
Tickets for illegal parking are given to the car, not the driver. It's not a moving violation, it doesn't require an ID to issue the ticket.

I'll have to ask the cop up the street whose family regularly parks their personal cars facing the wrong way his thoughts.

Last edited by robr2; 06-11-2020 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 05:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not surprised the execs would have a knee jerk 'outrage' reaction in sucking up to BLM and others of their ilk.

The driver refused to produce his ID 11 times to the officer and acted like a jerk.

Funny how things seem to go smoothly when you comply with the police.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazon-ex...143102570.html
I was thinking the same thing about the virus. If people simply complied with the guidelines, instead of resisting them and being overtly defiant, thousands of lives would have been saved and thousand more would be saved. However, no, these fools keep pretending that its nothing but the common cold and refuse to social distance and wear mask in public. Someone needs to throw conservatives to the ground and make them comply.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:
Is this a serious question? If so, please hand in your license. If you don't know the answer to that, you also don't know which side of the ride you should be driving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies