Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump is the disease. Biden is the medicine. It's gonna be OK.

Joe Biden:

"Who is this Aunty Faa?

I wonder what her hair smells like?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 08:37 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
It’s going to be interesting when all these cops that are charged with criminal offenses (murder) will get less than what is demanded by these criminal rioting protesters.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:38 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Are we as a nation done? First the Corona hit us then the economic decline sent us to the mat and now the BLM/antifa movement is ready with the knock out blow. We are all hurting in one way or another from the 3 assaults. We have politicians that are frozen in any response out of fear of being called out by the mob and other elected leaders that are siding with the rioters and looters by caving to their demands.
I wouldn't be quite so much of a Debbie Downer. Yes, the coronavirus is with us to stay, and that will mean hundreds of thousands of deaths, but eventually a vaccine and/or herd immunity will limit it. The civil unrest is nothing compared to the 1960s. The widespread support for the protests gives me hope that this time maybe some meaningful change will come as a result.

The economy may be our biggest challenge. The stock market is good, which shows that, as usual, the rich will come out smelling like a rose. The average guy not so much. This pandemic is going to permanently change the way we work, learn and socialize. It will take some time, but we will adapt to a new normal.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Really? I have not heard a single city getting rid of police. Did you get that from FOX 'News'? I watched FOX the other day and that is what they tried to make it sound like, but it does not seem to be the case in any US city.
Of course no one is talking about getting rid of police.

I wonder what it is about the idea of reallocating resources to try to address things with care rather than force that scares people so much.
Could it be that it might mean that they would have to give up the idea that some people, Black boys in particular, are born criminals?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Most of them have kids to feed, so they need to keep their jobs. The ability to destroy the career of anyone who speaks out against you is a powerful weapon that is tough to counter.
I am in the same boat. Not sure if I can be outspoken even after I retire. I have kids. My actions may cause severe backlash for them.

That is why we have already lost.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:42 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Yep, it has been a good long run, but all good things have to come to an end...... ♪
So the song goes ♪♪
Well, as Trump fiddles while Nero burns,

Let us remember the famous quote from the late great john Lennon
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:45 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I thought we were the greatest nation on earth. You seriously think a pandemic and protests/riots are going to end it? Who is being dramatic here...

Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quite frankly, I can't wait for Biden or whoever they eventually select to win presidency. Without a scapegoat, let's see whom they'd blame.

Let's see how Biden and his followers solve the "systemic racism" lol

One thing is for sure though, we won't hear about Covid-19 anymore. it's all good, people are still dying, but we have it under control.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 AM

322 posts, read 244,711 times
I think the Election will tell us a lot about the future of America. Is there a "silent majority" out there? Will it even matter, as the winner will be Electoral College based?

The number one problem is the MSM and Social Media telling everyone what to think and who/what to hate. These people have no checks or balances and are dividing America. There is no tolerance for an opposing view anymore. Just shout them down with names like Racist, Alt Right, Loony Left, etc.

If you just watch the media that shares your view & never question it, you'll never know the truth. Unfortunately, most people just watch their local nightly news & believe everything they're told.

Social Media is just as bad. Our youth get a sound bite and believe everything they see on SM as "truth". And are often shocked to find out that's not really what happened.

Media (News, SM, Internet, TV, Movies) is definitely shaping people's minds & most isn't based in everyday reality.

But just reading responses here to different threads over the last few weeks, I see several people don't want to question the information they receive & think for themselves.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
It’s going to be interesting when all these cops that are charged with criminal offenses (murder) will get less than what is demanded by these criminal rioting protesters.
There will be tremendous pressure to charge any police officers involved in controversial shootings and to find them guilty & punish them severely, regardless of how concrete the evidence is because of the unrest and violence in the streets. That isn't real justice but I expect it is what is likely to happen in an attempt to appease them and calm the unrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies