Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
It's funny, you hear two contradictory narratives being pushed at the same time by the fear mongering crowd. That the damage to the economy is due to people being afraid of the rona and at the same time those people argue that we have to keep everything shut down because otherwise no one will be afraid and they'll go out and about and live their lives.
You summed that up very well. If I can I'm repping you.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:25 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
That’s right. Not one thing should have been shut down. People get sick.....some will die. If I get sick and die then it is my time. Ruining millions of lives and jeopardizing the stability of the country (yes it is that serious) was the dumbest thing ever done by our leaders. Appeasing the nervous coronavirus panicky hand wringing lefties did NOT stop the virus. The virus will spread until most of us have been exposed. Go to work, go out, go to school and live life normally. Wash your hands of course, practice good hygiene and do no more.

An economic depression will kill millions, more WILL die from the cure than the disease. This is now eminent. The coronavirus panic caused a depression and now riots (partially caused from angry pent up people acting bad coming off lockdowns with no jobs) are pushing our already politically divided nation toward the abyss. If collapse or civil war happens the death toll will be staggering. Those leaders who initiated the panic and the lockdowns will be villains in our history.
A lot of people are being ruined from this lockdown.

There are likely asymptomatic people with every virus out there. People don't react over them like this.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
If anything is downright foolish and stupid it is the logic of this post. So why not just let any illness spread around and let it go until we all have had it. Polio, smallpox, the plague, SARS, etc. etc.
By your reasoning if we have over 100,000 dead now and just let it spread then several MILLION will die. And so what?
Absolutely cruel and heartless reasoning.
When has society been shut down over other viruses in recent history?

Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Virus has exponential growth.

Here in SC we're also seeing new highs every day but not near what FL is reporting.
Signs are everywhere to wear a mask and social distance. They even put up signs at the beach entrances.

But I would say the majority of people seem to be ignoring it all and are behaving as if there is no virus.

And to add further insult people seem mad that pools are closed (if they cannot adhere to the strict guidelines), they are mad the stores closed off all but one door and they are mad that some restaurants went back to curbside or take out.

They are mad and just want everything to go back the way it was before covid19 existed.

And the younger ones just say "screw it" I won't get that sick.

3 months was too much for these people. And I don't think any politician can change that type of attitude.
Loss of income and fear of starvation and extreme poverty will do that for some.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Restaurants closing is only bad for the restaurant owners. The people who worked there weren't being paid a living wage anyway.

Restaurant owners need to find something else to do. There were too many restaurants to begin with and many of them had health code violations, poor customer service, and were plagued with other issues.
A lot of those who worked there were on food stamps. Those without children under the age of twelve are required to work twenty hours a week in order to qualify. So, not only do they lose the only income they had, but they lose the ability to obtain food. Nope, nothing bad about that at all. Then, those with children, cannot take care of their kids.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No one in my neighborhood has been shut in their homes, maybe where you live.
In house arrest the perp can typically only go to work or the store. So, people are all now perps unless they engage in riots.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
no, hospitalizations are not up......if anything they are down a tad from 1 month and 2 months ago

I posted the link to the COVID Florida tracking > https://tallahasseereports.com/wp-co...6/HOSP6023.jpg
I can confirm that those numbers are not accurate. Just to be clear Florida does not publish occupancy or hospital admissions to the public, there are aggregate services that obtain information on occupancy numbers from Level 1 and 2 trauma centers as there is a coordination of care concerns (don't want t to helicopter a pt. into a full hospital) but it's not a clean snapshot.

Florida is very selective about how they publish hospital rates, in fact the Surgeon General just changed the reporting requirements for ICU occupancy yesterday.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What do you think I meant by him tossing the puck at someone else?

There has NEVER been a president who constantly blames people who work for them.

Truman's "the puck stops here" meant he is in charge and he takes responsibility. This quality is 100% absent in Trump, since he has no idea what leadership means.
buck

Old 06-24-2020, 01:01 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, so?

Why wouldn't they?

I realize not everyone has taken statistics courses at uni and has a grasp on population models vis a vis the spread of a genetic mutation through a population or population clusters or the spread of disease through a population or population clusters.

Suffice to say all 320 Million Americans were not equally exposed to COVID-19 at the same time.

Because that is true, we can logically infer that not every State was hit with the same intensity at the same time, and as a point of fact, that is true.

The short answer is many States locked down at the wrong time.

Another way to put is those States were wearing rain coats when the sky was clear and sunny and now that the sky is cloudy and raining, they ain't got their rain coats.

You want to lock them down again? That'll happen when M1s and Bradleys are in the streets shooting at people.

You ain't got the money for UBI, you can't afford stimulus checks every 90 days and you can't keep people on unemployment for the next 2-5 years which is how long this will last.

You're just going to have to bite the bullet and deal with it.

If you think you or family members are vulnerable, then self-quarantine. If that's not an option, then mask-up. Otherwise get on with your life as best you can.
This is the most common sense analysis of the current situation I have read on this forum so far. We missed the boat on keeping this thing under control like in some other countries so the best we can do is keep the vulnerable populations relatively safe. Everyone else needs to deal with the virus. Of course everything is politicized in this country. When the blue states were hit hard, it's easy to find lots of talk on how we all deserved it because we had Democrat leadership. Now mostly red states are having outbreaks so predictably the talk is they also deserved this because of their Republican leadership. "My fellow Americans" no longer has any meaning. You are either on the left or on the right and each side wants the other to suffer.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:03 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I'm not an America-hating Democrat, so I'm not privy to their planning and organization. Perhaps you can provide the details.
You brought it up; you have the burden of proof. So I guess you have none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If I see the sun in the sky I do not need proof that sunrise occurred.
But there is previous proof that the sun has risen in the past. No one seems to be able to provide proof that Democrats are "destroyers of cities".

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
In house arrest the perp can typically only go to work or the store. So, people are all now perps unless they engage in riots.
There was no house arrest. When I went out for a drive or walk on a sunny spring day I was not required to show proof that I was going to work or to the store.

The imagination of some of you folks is amazingly vivid! Y'all ought to write novels and movie scripts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies