Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:35 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times

Advertisements

Case numbers lag the exposure date and deaths lag case diagnosis.

You have around a two week lag between exposure and diagnosis and another substantial and highly variable lag between diagnosis and death. Thus the case growth you see now is a result of actions from a few weeks ago, and the death rate you see now is a result of cases that originated a month or more in the past.

This is important to understand because otherwise you will not have a grasp on the actual causality chain leading to deaths from covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Also I would not expect an increase in deaths for 4-6 weeks from the start of increased case numbers given these are younger people. From the under 40 patients I have managed I usually see:

1) Symptom 4-6 days post exposure
2) Mild to moderate symptoms X4-7 days
3) A repreive of symptoms for 1-2 days (this is where you either improve and clear or move to 4)
4) Acute exacerbation of symptoms leading to hospitalization
5) ICU care 2-5 days
6) If death occurs it is usually after 1-2 week of hospitalization at during step 5

That is approximately from exposure (if the person knows when) or onset of symptoms 4-6 weeks, again what I see on the ground. We have about another 1-2 weeks before I would safely say there is no increase in deaths post reopening in states like Florida.

This is an Apolitical look, I have no idea what party affiliation my patients have, nor would I care.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Using the worldometers numbers that everyone seems to think are acceptable...

The mortality rate based on that is relatively unchanged from April. It is still at around 5.3% globally and nationally. You can say what you want, but it isn't backed up by the actual figures yet. If more tests equated to a lower mortality rate, why isn't it further down? And if further down IS 5%, that's still a serious problem.

If coronavirus took out 1% of everyone, regardless of age or other physical health issues, we'd all be staying home still.
Also, you can't compute the death rate until the case is closed. Over half of US cases don't have an outcome yet. If you look on worldometer, you see that of the roughly 1 million cases that are closed, 12% resulted in death. Click on "graph" and you will see that rate has been going down, but it's still a lot more than 5.3%.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Also I would not expect an increase in deaths for 4-6 weeks from the start of increased case numbers given these are younger people. From the under 40 patients I have managed I usually see:

1) Symptom 4-6 days post exposure
2) Mild to moderate symptoms X4-7 days
3) A repreive of symptoms for 1-2 days (this is where you either improve and clear or move to 4)
4) Acute exacerbation of symptoms leading to hospitalization
5) ICU care 2-5 days
6) If death occurs it is usually after 1-2 week of hospitalization at during step 5

That is approximately from exposure (if the person knows when) or onset of symptoms 4-6 weeks, again what I see on the ground. We have about another 1-2 weeks before I would safely say there is no increase in deaths post reopening in states like Florida.

This is an Apolitical look, I have no idea what party affiliation my patients have, nor would I care.
Bingo. The point I was trying to make but with the actual numbers I didn't know filled in.

So the death rate now would be a result of whatever actions we were taking between 1 and 2 months ago.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Interesting article from today. Suggests Texas is not experiencing a "second wave", but rather, the exact pattern of flattening the curve that was designed originally, back in March, to prevent hospital over crowding.

This was the intent. To have more and more hospitalizations/infections stretching through Septemberish, so they don't arrive all at the same time.

It does seem few people understood the goal of flattening the curve included dragging the curve out for months and months.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/he...f-d32e6190001d

Old 06-18-2020, 09:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Thank you.

So that begs the political question, is the media intentonally reporting the rise in cases while hiding the reduction in deaths, so as to scare people into supporting continued closures and shut-downs?
I watch NBC news on occasion, and they have reported that some areas are going up, while others are going down. I think they said around 22 states are increasing, and they also reported that around 20 are decreaseing, this is # of cases though. Just to say that it seem to me they are reporting the facts, if you are scared by them, then that is on you. Facts are facts.

They have made a point to mention that NYC has been doing much better, and since NYC was responsible for the largest number of deaths, of course the National numbers are declining, but also other areas are increasing.

One last point, it was predicted that the spike in more rural areas would come later, due to densities of people. THat seems to be playing out too.

So to answer your OP question:
Nationally numbers are on the decrease
Locally, it's a mixed bag, with some areas increasing and others decreasing

I honestly think people (ALL people) see what they want to see in reporting. It really does seem to me that the limited network news I've seen, maybe once or twice a week, has been fairly accurate with regards to this topic. Others, not so much maybe, but we are only talking about COVID cases and deaths in this thread.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:49 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am not offering an article on the topic. I am asking the question because I can find all manner of sources regarding cases, but not regarding deaths.

If anybody has a source to state-by-state Covid death rates and trends over the past week or 2, I would sincerly appreciate it.

For example, here is a great resource from NPR that shows state-by-state rates of increasing and decreaing rates of Covid infection cases.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...rus-in-the-u-s

Here is a nation-wide Covid tracker for infection cases

https://infection2020.com

Where are the sources for death trends?

We were told the entire reason for the lock downs, business closures, masks, and social distancing are to reduce deaths. I mean, if this was a mild flu bug, we woud be treating it like one and not taking all these extreme measures. The reason for going to such extremes was supposed to be to prevent 2.2 million deaths or some such estimate of deaths.

So where are the corresponding sources for US death trends and state-by-state death trends to the above infection trends? Is it possible that deaths are going down even as cases are going up, and the powers that be just don't want us to know about it, because rising infection rates serves to scare us into wanting to keep things shut down, while falling death rates would encourage us to want to open things up?

I dont know. I am just wondering.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Thank you.
They know better how to treat it now. So more people are surviving.

There's also the question whether the virus is now weakening and the viral load is meaningful.

Possibly a lot more people would've been hospitalized or died by not locking down since the strain in New York was the most dangerous.

This is not a second wave. Locking down spread out the first or only wave.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They know better how to treat it now. So more people are surviving.

There's also the question whether the virus is now weakening and the viral load is meaningful.

Possibly a lot more people would've been hospitalized or died by not locking down since the strain in New York was the most dangerous.

This is not a second wave. Locking down spread out the first or only wave.
Yes. This is following the exact wave the locking down created.

This is exactly as expected.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:28 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
There is something remarkable going on regarding the number of Covid-19 deaths in the US:

Back in March, people were saying that we're making a mountain out of a molehill, this is no worse than the flu. Of course at that time there were only a few hundred deaths. Now we are at 120,000 dead, far more than any flu. But instead of being shocked, my sense is that Americans are pretty much accepting of this number. Worldometer predicts 200,000 dead by October, and I have every reason to believe that. If I said on March 1 that we would have 200,000 dead in 6 months, people would either be alarmed or call me a liar. Now its like "meh".

Not judging, just sayin'

Old 06-18-2020, 10:45 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
There is something remarkable going on regarding the number of Covid-19 deaths in the US:

Back in March, people were saying that we're making a mountain out of a molehill, this is no worse than the flu. Of course at that time there were only a few hundred deaths. Now we are at 120,000 dead, far more than any flu. But instead of being shocked, my sense is that Americans are pretty much accepting of this number. Worldometer predicts 200,000 dead by October, and I have every reason to believe that. If I said on March 1 that we would have 200,000 dead in 6 months, people would either be alarmed or call me a liar. Now its like "meh".

Not judging, just sayin'
Because shutting down the economy again is not happening. No matter how much liberals want itb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies