Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know what Juneteeenth was prior to this year?
Yes 159 51.62%
No 149 48.38%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 11:36 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have no problem with Valentines Day or St Patrick’s Day, so Juneteenth is at least as good a reason as those are to have a holiday. I find the name name awkward and sort of childish though.
Awkward and childish are not the first adjectives that come to my mind. Odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 11:39 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I can't help but feel that "holidays" like this actually do more to divide us than unite.

I'm not a slave I don't know anyone that has ever been a slave but what we all are is Americans.

What is next? a holiday for transgendered non binary straight but crooked "theys" ?

Oh well if it makes people happy BUT does anyone think it is odd that so many are willing to erase our History until that history is something they approve of and then it is celebrated?

Maybe I should just stop celebrating Passover because I'm not a slave and don't know anyone that has been a slave.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Yes. My family has commemorated the day for years. We would attend Juneteenth parades in Harlem in the mid 1990s, which was my earliest memories.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:43 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Maybe I should just stop celebrating Passover because I'm not a slave and don't know anyone that has been a slave.
So you're comparing a religious holiday to a local Texas holiday about when word of the end of the Civil war reached Galveston?

Old 06-21-2020, 11:44 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Never heard of it till now. Never heard of Kwanzaa either till a few years back.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:48 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have to admit I never heard of the day until the news started reporting about Trumps rally scheduled on the same day. I don't remember this being taught in schools I went to school in Southern California 1974-1987.

"June 19, 1865, Gen. Gordon Granger arrived with Union soldiers in Galveston, Texas, and announced to enslaved Africans Americans that the Civil War had ended and they were free — more than two years after President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation."

Quoted from this link https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...9?icid=related

Growing up in Texas, I was well aware of Juneteenth. It was even taught in school. Long before it became a state holiday in 1980, we (white community) knew that the parks and zoo was unofficially reserved for the black community on that day. Driving by one big park it was fun to see literally hundreds of black families out enjoying themselves and remembering the significance of the day.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:49 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So you're comparing a religious holiday to a local Texas holiday about when word of the end of the Civil war reached Galveston?

Passover is all about our freedom from the Egyptians. There are many parallels between Passover and Juneteenth. If one is unnecessary or childish (both terms used in this thread), why not the other?

It would be strange to me to try to understand why people are discounting a holiday celebrating the true ending of slavery in the United States, but c'mon - we all know why people are minimizing it.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
No, and I lived in Texas for three years when I was younger.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:55 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Passover is all about our freedom from the Egyptians. There are many parallels between Passover and Juneteenth. If one is unnecessary or childish (both terms used in this thread), why not the other?

It would be strange to me to try to understand why people are discounting a holiday celebrating the true ending of slavery in the United States, but c'mon - we all know why people are minimizing it.
Again, you are comparing something considered a sacred religious holiday to celebrating the day that people in Galveston, Texas heard that the Civil war was over.

I'm not saying Juneteenth is unnecessary or childish, it was a holiday I grew up with, it's just that it is a minor holiday.....it always has been. People are pretending otherwise right now but that doesn't change history.

Try to earn "woke" points elsewhere.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:00 PM

552 posts, read 223,385 times
Yes. Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies