Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransom View Post
Then why not make drinking and driving against the law. I'm ok with that.

I promise you when drinking and driving is made totally illegal I will only drink in the privacy of my home, and I will not drink casually in restaurants, night clubs or strip clubs. Until then you're preaching to the choir.
It already is? Therefore, I do not know what you are getting at? I had my DUI in 2000 in Phoenix. I got convicted. I know in Arizona, and Nevada, they have the "slightest degree" clause. The .08 or above is a different charge. You can get a DUI for having a half of a beer, and are 10 times below .08. In other words, having any amount of alcohol in your system is already against the law, at least in the two states I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 AM

84 posts, read 91,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
How about YOU accepting personal responsibility.

If you drink, even a little, and it in any way impairs judgment or reactions, you can, and should be, charged with DUI. As I noted, medications are also something that may impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle. It you take meds that impair you in any way, you can, and should, "go to jail" over them.
How about if you drink and it doesn't in any impair your ability to drive. Am I ok to drive if I have 3 drinks and my ability to drive is not impaired to the slightest degree? Are you ok with that sir?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
I got a DUI eight years ago in Texas, and during the whole deal I was talking with my attorney about what seemed to me to be the harshness of the penalty. (Iy was my first offense, blood alcohol was at bare minumum, no accident involved, and it ended up costing me $2000 plus a night in jail plus a year's probation. BTW: how many of you guys know that you PAY for probation? That's right, every month when you visit your PO the 1st thing you do is drop off the check. Mine was around $80.)
Anyways...my attorney said he felt the whole thing was one big money-maker for the state, and he bemoaned the fact that he had clients with domestic assault and burglary charges who got less harsh penalties than DUIers! He credited this fact partly due to the power of the MAD lobby, and the fact that victims of domestic violence--usually poor and under-educated--don't have such a powerful advocacy group as MAD.
In my opinion MAD went to far and got drunk on power. (Pun intended.) I have this button I love to wear when I am out drinking that says "DAMM." (Drunks Against Madd Mothers.)
Peace.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It already is? Therefore, I do not know what you are getting at? I had my DUI in 2000 in Phoenix. I got convicted. I know in Arizona, and Nevada, they have the "slightest degree" clause. The .08 or above is a different charge. You can get a DUI for having a half of a beer, and are 10 times below .08. In other words, having any amount of alcohol in your system is already against the law, at least in the two states I mentioned.
I agree with you 100% Many people just don't get the fact that drinking any amount of alcohol and driving is virtually already illegal. Very well said sir!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
How about if you drink and it doesn't in any impair your ability to drive. Am I ok to drive if I have 3 drinks and my ability to drive is not impaired to the slightest degree? Are you ok with that sir?
Alcohol DOES IMPAIR, in some manner, your abilities. This is a fact. The question then becomes - are you impaired to a degree to be a danger?

It is only your word that says you are / were not, impaired. And frankly, most who drink and drive say exactly the very same thing as you do - even after the accident.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you think any comapny wants a person wirth a DUI driving their vehicle your crary. It would not just then effect the DUI drivers life but could endanger the livelihood of the entire small company and other workers.Basically you sound like your making excuse but you make a good argumant for tougher DUI laws and better enforcement.
Texdav,

I was an independent contractor, driving my own vehicle. I also did not drink at work for obvious reasons.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I got a DUI eight years ago in Texas, and during the whole deal I was talking with my attorney about what seemed to me to be the harshness of the penalty. (Iy was my first offense, blood alcohol was at bare minumum, no accident involved, and it ended up costing me $2000 plus a night in jail plus a year's probation. BTW: how many of you guys know that you PAY for probation? That's right, every month when you visit your PO the 1st thing you do is drop off the check. Mine was around $80.)
Anyways...my attorney said he felt the whole thing was one big money-maker for the state, and he bemoaned the fact that he had clients with domestic assault and burglary charges who got less harsh penalties than DUIers! He credited this fact partly due to the power of the MAD lobby, and the fact that victims of domestic violence--usually poor and under-educated--don't have such a powerful advocacy group as MAD.
In my opinion MAD went to far and got drunk on power. (Pun intended.) I have this button I love to wear when I am out drinking that says "DAMM." (Drunks Against Madd Mothers.)
Peace.
They are not just MAD Mothers anymore. They are a very organized, power hungry and money making machine. Their objective is no longer to protect the public from drunk drivers, but to destroy America!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Alcohol DOES IMPAIR, in some manner, your abilities. This is a fact. The question then becomes - are you impaired to a degree to be a danger?

It is only your word that says you are / were not, impaired. And frankly, most who drink and drive say exactly the very same thing as you do - even after the accident.
Another brainwashed person by MADD. Sir you have no brain!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I have this button I love to wear when I am out drinking that says "DAMM." (Drunks Against Madd Mothers.)
Peace.
HA HA, +1 for you for making me laugh this morning.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
How about when police officers, state legislatures, judges, and lawyers get caught drinking and driving? Not driving drunk!
that is a monumentally silly question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies