Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM

84 posts, read 91,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am not in any way affiliated with MADD. I have not made up my mind on what constituted a reasonable limit on drinking alcohol and where. I do know that I can feel the effect of one drink on my reflexes and mental capacity. I do not drink when I have to drive anywhere. I did drink at home until I decided to try not drinking at all. The results were surprising. I no longer need to use my diabetes medication and I feel much better.

I have no problem with drinking but just stay off the roads after you have been consuming alcohol.
Well sir I'm glad your diabetes condition has improved and that you feel better since you made the decision to quit drinking. Some people have low tolerance levels when it comes to drinking, and others can drink a few drinks and still function as normal.

Listen, and please try to understand what I'm saying. I did not join this post to personally attack or be rude to anyone. I apologize for being rude and saying some curse words to some people but DUI is a very emotional subject. Believe me; I sympathize with anyone who has experienced tragic incidents due to alcohol. But many innocent hard working people who choose to go out after work or any other time and drink responsibly should not suffer the burden of being classified as being drunks.

I was thrown into the DUI arena for being accused of being drunk when I know I was not, and apparently the jury agreed that I wasn't. If I was drunk the evidence would have clearly shown that I was.

The reason I joined this post is to express my opinion about unfair DUI laws which have become so strict that innocent people are being arrested and being charged with DUI's. MADD changed their slogan from "Don't Drive Drunk" to "Don't Drink And Drive". Which one is illegal: To not drive drunk, or to not drink and drive? If it is illegal to not drink and drive at all then the law should reflect that. Many people in the public don't know that they have virtually made it illegal to drink any amount of alcohol at all and drive and think as long as your BAC stays below .08 you won't be convicted of a DUI. I learned the hard way about the new impaired to the slightest degree law and forceful withdrawal of blood.

How would all you people who are so critical of drinking alcohol, period feel if the drinking of alcohol was made illegal? I wish this is what eventually happens so that innocent people are not convicted of DUI, and then only people who really drive drunk will have to worry about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
It all boils down to one thing; has the increasing penalties for drunk driving reduced the number of DUI incidents in America? The answer is no. Not at all and therefore the only thing these harsh penalties are doing is to financially destroy many who are convicted. That in turn probably leads to more incidents.

Americans have become the Frankenstein mob lighting their torches and advancing against anyone they deem undesirable. First it was the drunks and then the smokers and now we can see them refueling their torches as they plan to attack the fatties of America. One thing for sure, sooner or later, they will come after you and your group.

Question: On the world news they tested several people's driving skills while texting and later drunk. The test revealed that those texting were 23 times more likely to have an accident than when they were drunk. Why aren't you after those people who text?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
It all boils down to one thing; has the increasing penalties for drunk driving reduced the number of DUI incidents in America? The answer is no. Not at all and therefore the only thing these harsh penalties are doing is to financially destroy many who are convicted. That in turn probably leads to more incidents.

Americans have become the Frankenstein mob lighting their torches and advancing against anyone they deem undesirable. First it was the drunks and then the smokers and now we can see them refueling their torches as they plan to attack the fatties of America. One thing for sure, sooner or later, they will come after you and your group.

Question: On the world news they tested several people's driving skills while texting and later drunk. The test revealed that those texting were 23 times more likely to have an accident than when they were drunk. Why aren't you after those people who text?
Thank you sir! You expressed it much better than I could have.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Branson,

Just so you know, I do not look down at you at all either. However, the law is what it is, even if it is unfair. If I get another DUI, I am going to lose my Job, car, license, income, place to live, etc... In other words, I will be homeless on the street. That is why I do not even have one drink if I have to drive the car. The overall moral is they can not give me a DUI, if I did not drink anything at all. I think you should just use alternate transportation when you go out is all.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Branson,

Just so you know, I do not look down at you at all either. However, the law is what it is, even if it is unfair. If I get another DUI, I am going to lose my Job, car, license, income, place to live, etc... In other words, I will be homeless on the street. That is why I do not even have one drink if I have to drive the car. The overall moral is they can not give me a DUI, if I did not drink anything at all. I think you should just use alternate transportation when you go out is all.
To be honest with you Vegas when my fiance` and I go out, since I was arrested for the 2 DUI's I let her drink but I don't have anything to drink. I just wanted to get some people stirred up so later they would realize how prejudice they are toward responsible drinkers. I should be able to drink if that's what I choose to do as long as my BAC remains under .08, but I will never give the police the opportunity to falsely arrest me for a DUI again.

Last edited by bransom; 10-07-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Back in 1991 in NJ I was hit by a drunk 18YO girl. I lay dying while the 2 oinking donut bellied cops argued over who should take the report and get the kick back for towing the cars. My car landed right on top the the sign that said "welcome to ***" and on the opposite side of the post said "welcome to****" the other town. Very strange that my car landed to rest half in one town and half in the other.

Yes this happened to me.

I do not believe in this "driving is a privilege" crap. Who ever came up with that? I also do not believe in shooting radiation at us to catch us driving over the artificially low speed limits just so they can raise funds for the policemans ball. Thank the stars they no longer use the radar radiation guns. I also do not believe in road side stop checkpoints. They violate the constitution. But without these tools how can we stop drunks?

So as far as drunk drivers I dont have to much to say good either. Your thoughts about raping them for committing this crime? Yea it probably is excessive. To the govt, they think money/fines is a deterrent but it is only a revenue raiser.

Whats the answer? I dont know short of banning alchol. I could care less because I never had a drink in my 50 years but I do care about the govt trying to control our lives even more then they already do.

If $30,000 fines can not deter driving drunk then what can? I am sitting here to tell my story with little in the way of opinions how to deal with it. But there are many many many who lost loved ones to a drunk who might have an answer more harsh then I.
I was hit by a drunk driver my sophmore year of college...dashboard caved in on my knees and I wasn't able to be in the marching band anymore (bye bye scholarship) it was a horrible experience and I found out later this was the guys SECOND time hitting somebody when he was wasted.

http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=847795974&mid=AJonvs4AAJ4CPHFErAhw11k%2BhrU &midoffset=1_50560&partid=2&f=527&fid=Inbox (broken link)http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=847795974&mid=AJonvs4AAJ4CPHFErAhw11k%2BhrU &midoffset=1_50560&partid=5&f=527&fid=Inbox (broken link)http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=847795974&mid=AJonvs4AAJ4CPHFErAhw11k%2BhrU &midoffset=1_50560&partid=7&f=527&fid=Inbox (broken link)

I think the laws should be stricter. How many lives to do you have to ruin before it dawns on you that drinking and driving isn't such a great idea.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was hit by a drunk driver my sophmore year of college...dashboard caved in on my knees and I wasn't able to be in the marching band anymore (bye bye scholarship) it was a horrible experience and I found out later this was the guys SECOND time hitting somebody when he was wasted.

http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=847795974&mid=AJonvs4AAJ4CPHFErAhw11k%2BhrU &midoffset=1_50560&partid=2&f=527&fid=Inbox (broken link)http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=847795974&mid=AJonvs4AAJ4CPHFErAhw11k%2BhrU &midoffset=1_50560&partid=5&f=527&fid=Inbox (broken link)http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=847795974&mid=AJonvs4AAJ4CPHFErAhw11k%2BhrU &midoffset=1_50560&partid=7&f=527&fid=Inbox (broken link)

I think the laws should be stricter. How many lives to do you have to ruin before it dawns on you that drinking and driving isn't such a great idea.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. Many people have been killed and injured by cars driven by totally sober drivers. People must think very hard and realize that even if alcohol was never invented as along as cars exist and are driven there will be accidents that result in people being injured and death.

Do you even care that innocent people are being arrested for DUI or are you so angry about what happend to you that it doesn't matter?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bransom View Post
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. Many people have been killed and injured by cars driven by totally sober drivers. People must think very hard and realize that even if alcohol was never invented as along as cars exist and are driven there will be accidents that result in people being injured and death.

Do you even care that innocent people are being arrested for DUI or are you so angry about what happend to you that it doesn't matter?
I'm so angry about what happened to me it doesn't matter...what kind of stilted question was that?
If you expect a real response I suggest you not create answers to your questions simply because that’s what you want to hear.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree, MamaBee, I know someone who was out, had a few too many drinks, recognized it, unlocked the car and then tossed the keys into a shrub near the car, and laid down in the back seat to sleep it off. The police arrested him because he was in the car and drunk, and he could have retrieved the keys at any time. When people try to do the right thing, they should be credited for it, not penalized. This man lost his job because his license was suspended upon arrest, not upon conviction, and the community he lived in had no public transportation system. While driving under the influence is irresponsible and involves a threat to others as well as to yourself, the people accused of these crimes should have the same due process available to them as people arrested of other crimes. And there should be some practical sense applied as well, people who make a mistake shouldn't have to pay their whole lives, people who are repeat offenders need substance abuse treatment as well as civil penalties.
Now THAT is total BS !! I don't see how the heck the can arrest people like that,when they WEREN'T DRIVING DRUNK, & I've heard of other stories similar to that one.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Ma'am, I'm sorry to have offended you, but the person who caused the accident that injured you should have received more jail time than they got. When it comes to anyone who drives drunk and causes accidents that injure or kills people, especially repeat offenders, there's no limit to the disciplinary action they should receive. But there's no doubt that the person who caused the accident that injured you was drunk, and probably extremely drunk, or super extremely drunk. So what I'm saying is that their BAC had to be at least .15 and maybe .20 or even higher.

Ok, now let me rephrase the question I first asked you. How about if a person goes out and in the process of having fun at a restaurant, night club or watching a football game at a buddy’s house consumes enough alcohol for their BAC to reach .05 but is not impaired and can still drive home safely. Do you think the DUI laws should be so strict that this person could be arrested for a DUI for driving while impaired to the "SLIGHTEST" degree?

Again, I’m sorry about what happened to you and wish that the system could have somehow prevented the person that caused the accident that injured you from driving again after the first accident they caused. It’s obvious that the DUI laws that were in place at that time did not prevent that person from causing a second DUI related accident.

Instead of people praising and having an opinion that DUI laws should be stricter when will they realize that it’s the system that has failed? After MADD being in existence since 1980, and although the laws have been made so strict the DUI situation just hasn’t gotten any better, and at the rate things are going I doubt they ever will. One thing that’s for sure is that the revenue that is collected and lives destroyed from the strict laws has drastically increased!

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies