Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:35 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times

Advertisements

I can see FEMA aid to Innocent Business owners who were damaged by the riots.

But any City, State, County damage... hell no. Just Private.

And a really big NO to it all if you abandon your Police department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 08:43 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
BLM should be allowed to burn down the remainder of the city. That way they can start over and get rid of the name "Minneapolis". Which is probably a white supremacy name anyway.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Looting and rioting weren’t allowed? Then why in city after city did leaders fail to either ask the governor to send in the national guard to combat the looters and rioters, use their own police forces to do so, or otherwise take control? It was allowed and encouraged by failure to act and via the encouragement of mass gatherings generally (you know, during a deadly pandemic). These mayors and governors willfully let their cities and states burn to avoid upsetting the BLM crowd. And note, many in the BLM crowd also took part in and otherwise condoned the looting and rioting as some sort of sick act of righteousness against the system
City after city? We’re talking about Tim Walz, the governor of Minnesota, who activated the Minnesota National Guard after it was requested by the mayor of Minneapolis.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:57 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,524,514 times
Someone better explain to Waltzy & The Minneapolis crew,

You Wet the Bed You Sleep in IT !

They had the means and the opportunity to shut the whole thing down
and choose not to do so they could ensure a ' Liberal Paradise '

The actions of the city of Minneapolis & Police Dept must be held
accountable or they will just do it again and not learn anything.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:57 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m confused where the false narrative came from that looting or burning was allowed or encouraged? I live here and paid close attention to all the speeches and actions taken by city and state leaders and there is no truth to this whatsoever.
Regarding Minneapolis, stop acting coy. You are not confused. You are being willfully ignorant. Mayor Frey willfully stood down the police, and the rioting/looting was allowed to go on for over 3 days.
Walz wrung his hands for days, then finally allowed the NG (who were staged nearby)to put a stopper in it.

Quote:
FEMA aid was provided to victims of civil unrest after the LA riots in 1992. I see nothing real different here.
I was in L.A. in 1992 myself. They should not have gotten FEMA money either, since (after trying for a while) city management gave up there also. A willful decision was made.

You know what L.A. had in 1992, that was obviously missing in Minneapolis in 2020?

A bunch of very willing "Rooftop Koreans".

Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You're very confused, it seems.

City leaders retreated and turned their authority over to a violent, unelected mob.

They ordered their law enforcement (emphasis on "enforcement") stand down.

Unlawful chaos, looting, arson, shootings and rapes occurred.

Still confused?
Not confused. I lived through the entire thing. The police were outnumbered by the rioters. The closest thing to “standing down” occurred when the mayor of Minneapolis ordered an evacuation of the third police precinct when it seemed inevitable that the situation was going to result in more people getting hurt/killed. You can criticize that decision if you want. The end result was a police precinct building getting burned down but nobody died. In fact, during the entire period of unrest here only one person died that I can recall, which is pretty remarkable given all of the chaos. This is all beside the point though as the topic is about the governor’s request for FEMA aid, not the judgements of Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:33 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Haters of Trump now have to grovel to him for money.

Governor Walz Requests Federal Support to Help Rebuild After Civil Unrest

Governor Tim Walz today requested financial support from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help Minnesota rebuild after civil unrest damaged public infrastructure and caused extensive fire damage in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

“We’re asking our federal partners to step up and help our communities recover,” said Governor Walz. “We need to come together to ensure Minnesotans who were victims of this destruction have access to critical infrastructure they need so they can go to the grocery store, pick up their medication, and live their lives. Together, we will rebuild.”

“We are committed to helping our communities rebuild, but we can’t do this on our own,” said Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan. “While state, tribal, and local budgets are stretched thin by COVID-19, we need everyone to step up, including the federal government, to restore safety and critical infrastructure to our communities.”
You can destroy yourselves, but together we rebuild.

They let two or three days of destruction (which included the burning down of the police station along with any evidence of the Floyd crime) occur before the Nat'l Guard was allowed to act.

Over 10,000 public safety officials contributed to the effort to restore peace and safety, including the first full mobilization of the Minnesota National Guard since World War II. However, nearly 1,500 Twin Cities businesses were damaged by vandalism, fire, or looting. Current estimates of the damage exceed $500,000,000.
Now I understand the reflex action would be to say heck no with a whole bunch of other expletives.

I would say the debt matters, but it really doesn't right now.

So if we are just throwing money at people, maybe Trump can be creative with this and make them reinstate the police under certain criteria and guidelines of how they are run.
No-

The local authorities did not perform their duties. Had they done so, there would have been very little damage.

Minneapolis voted for this, supported it- now let them pay for it.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:33 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,524,514 times
Quote:
the point though as the topic is about the governor’s request for FEMA aid, not the judgements of Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey.
So Walzy is Frey's babysitter

There is NO reasonable explanation on why TAX PAYERS are on the hook for this

Minneapolis made their decision, Walzy choose not to step in soon enough when it was clear
that things were out of control.

Nothing more that Frey say's beyond this point can be taken seriously and he knows
it so this is why Walzy has to make the call to DC.

Responsibility, Accountability & Common Sense all seem to be missing in Minneapolis

Old 07-05-2020, 09:39 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
I knew it was going to be pure craziness after Frey's speech on May 27 where he expressed outrage and confusion instead of leadership. I posted here on CD that his speech would only make things worse. He asks why the police officer is not in jail. I'm thinking, I don't know, I thought you were the one in charge, why don't you tell me? We were looking to this guy for leadership and some answers and found nothing.

From there it didn't get much better. Frey just gave off the impression that the city was going to all hold hands and sing kumbaya when most others seemed to know the storm that was about to come. Local news media was similarly complicit having reporters walk around with the rioters repeating how peaceful everything was. I watched a reporter with "protesters" who had blocked off a major freeway and were starting to light things on fire and he just kept saying how peaceful everything was. The rioting in Minneapolis kick-started the rioting in other cities once people saw how easily a city could be taken over.

I'm not sure what all policies are wrapped up in receiving FEMA aid, but typically I thought this was for things out of your control such as natural disasters. The local city leadership has spurred on the destruction and now want federal money to rebuild. I can't see how most people wouldn't see this as pure hypocrisy.

Here are a few excerpts from the article "‘They have lost control’: How Minneapolis leaders failed to stop their city from burning", which is a New York Times article originally:

"Three miles away, at City Hall, Frey, was receiving calls from worried local leaders. He assured them everything was under control. “I’m hearing it’s not that bad,” he told a city council member over the phone.

Jeremiah Ellison, a newly elected city council member who had participated in the 2015 protest against police, advised the mayor to leave the vandals alone. “The focus of anger is the police and this building,” Ellison reasoned. “If we let the crowd do its thing, we might spare neighborhood.”

“It was a rapidly evolving situation,” he said. “We thought we could put a request in and while the people are arriving, we could be formulating what to do.” In addition, city leaders did not understand how much time it can take for the citizen soldiers of the National Guard to leave their normal jobs, report for duty, collect their gear, and travel to Minneapolis. “We expected them to be on site right then and there,” said Alondra Cano, a City Council member, who participated in a “prosecute the police” campaign in college and now heads the council’s public safety committee.

Frey decided to pull officers off the street outside the 3rd Precinct building in a bid to de-escalate tension. But it had the opposite effect...

Looters broke into the liquor store across the street from the police precinct house and handed out bottles to the crowd.
“People were getting drunk,” she recalled. “The mayor told me that he had this under control,” she said of her brief phone conversation earlier in the day with Frey, who had yet to visit the embattled police precinct. As night fell, smoke began to billow from more buildings. Torres Ray panicked. She called the governor and begged him to intervene.

“I need help. My district is burning,” she said she told Walz. “I do not see the plan of the city to address it. His answer was, ‘Senator, I am on my way.’”Walz was surprised that the city had still not given state officials details on what the National Guard should do.

Of the mayor, Schwesnedl said he keeps hearing him talk about feelings.“I think it’s really good to have someone in public leadership talk about feelings, but we also need him to talk about policy,” he said.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/07/0...-from-burning/

Old 07-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
So Walzy is Frey's babysitter

There is NO reasonable explanation on why TAX PAYERS are on the hook for this

Minneapolis made their decision, Walzy choose not to step in soon enough when it was clear
that things were out of control.

Nothing more that Frey say's beyond this point can be taken seriously and he knows
it so this is why Walzy has to make the call to DC.

Responsibility, Accountability & Common Sense all seem to be missing in Minneapolis
As someone who saw everything go down in real time I’m not sure it’s fair or reasonable to find either the mayor or governor culpable for what happened. You’re free to play Monday morning quarterback on the situation and hypothesize how things could have been handled differently (as many people here seem to be doing). The current situation is that alot of residents and small business owners are hurting in an already underprivileged area. This request for federal aid is for them, not the governor. The mean-spiritedness and lack of compassion I’m reading here is disheartening. These are fellow Americans we’re talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies