Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:30 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
BLM is a political platform, anymore. They have a website that pretty clearly spells out the goals. LGBTQ rights are written in those goals. In all the people I've talked to at BLM events, I've not seen a single person who doesn't think black on black crime is an issue. I really don't understand why the right wing brings that up, almost as if some people are trying to say the notion that black on black crime happens justifies police brutality against minorities

Sorry, but I didn't put my tinfoil hat on this morning, and with respect, we've talked more than once. I am moderate myself and I don't see much of what you say aligning with liberal ideology.
I highlighted the phrase you used that made me want to respond.

Every year now on average the police causes the death of about a thousand people in the US
There are various volunteer websites which keep track, including the race if known ( some are undetermined how they identify)

Would it surprise you to know that there are plenty if not a majority of white people killed by the police?

It is not about the systemic racism - it is a problem of an excessive force by militarized police against civilians

Just recently a young white woman was shot dead on her way to work during a police traffic stop.

She was not a career criminal and convicted felon like George Floyd, she was not a suspect in fake currency like George Floyd, she was not on drugs like George Floyd! She was not armed.
And yet,
Nobody even mentions/ knows her name!
Why is nobody protesting?

We ALL as Americans need to address this situation.
The race card is used for other reasons. Don’t be naive.

https://killedbypolice.net/kbp2020/

Last edited by Nik4me; 07-07-2020 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 08:31 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,220,712 times
At this rate, Trump is on a rocket sled to re-election.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:32 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
When you've sat down and had a conversation with them, what have they said specifically to you?
I can only say what I see written on the signs and what they are shouting in the park and the streets. I stay away from direct contact with everyone, I won't even step in an elevator with someone and forget about the subway. I drive everywhere now and everyone wears a mask, not exactly conducive to conversations, not that I would start a debate with a protestor surrounded by others because that could spiral pretty quickly. But when COVID blows over I'll be sure to report back on my conversations, if the city hasn't already blown up that is

Old 07-07-2020, 08:33 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Did anyone yell at them to GET THE EFF OUT OF MY COUNTRY?

Old 07-07-2020, 08:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And the very fact that you are defending a racist, antisemitic, violent organization is beyond words.
According to Critical Race Theory nonsense they teach at college it's impossible for people of color to be racist because they don't have any power. So it's free reign to do anything you want because the cause is noble, only the majority in the Marxist viewed circle of power can be racist. BLM is chin deep in this pseudo-science psychobabble

Old 07-07-2020, 08:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I highlighted the phrase you used that made me want to respond.

Every year on average the police causes the death of about a thousand people in US
There are volunteer websites which keep track, including the race if known ( some are undetermined how they ident)

Would it surprise you to know that there are plenty of white people killed-
It is not about race- it is a problem of an excessive force by militarized police against civilians

We ALL as Americans need to address this situation.
I don't disagree, but BLM is an incredible platform to drive practical police reform right now. It would be foolish to not embrace it, given the current, horrible state of the US police force. The traction BLM has at the moment should not be wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I can only say what I see written on the signs and what they are shouting in the park and the streets. I stay away from direct contact with everyone, I won't even step in an elevator with someone and forget about the subway. I drive everywhere now and everyone wears a mask, not exactly conducive to conversations, not that I would start a debate with a protestor surrounded by others because that could spiral pretty quickly. But when COVID blows over I'll be sure to report back on my conversations, if the city hasn't already blown up that is
Thanks for the response. To be clear though, I didn't ask you to start a debate. I asked you to have a conversation. People protesting are 99% good people, who honestly are trying to push for better lives for themselves and their families. If you sit down and talk to them as people, you might be surprised at how much of what you've heard to date through the grapevine is just rhetoric by the extreme right wing, or the extreme vocal minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, I’m opposed to people who state they want to disrupt the nuclear family. A stable, two-parent is the backbone of a strong society, and kids raised in that environment do better than those aren’t (on average).

As far as hateful on BLM’s website, the entire thing just reeks of disdain and contempt - and is driving hatred for whitey. They actually said that there is a systemic effort to target the black people for DEMISE (you know,,,,like what Hitler did to Jews).

And the very fact that you are defending a racist, antisemitic, violent organization is beyond words.
With respect, how you're describing BLM seems parroted from right wing sources. How many times have you actually talked to people at BLM events? I rarely hear that kind of language from people at BLM events. I often hear it from right wing sources who try to justify discrediting protests. I spend a lot of time talking to both sides of the isle (I've flipped between democrat and republican a few times in my life, depending on the political climate), and currently I see more hate and fear from the right than the left.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:38 PM

440 posts, read 240,508 times
See what the Southern Poverty Law Center (Raging Liberals, btw) have to say about Louis Farrakhan- Sound familiar?
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ouis-farrakhan

Old 07-07-2020, 08:42 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
According to Critical Race Theory nonsense they teach at college it's impossible for people of color to be racist because they don't have any power. So it's free reign to do anything you want because the cause is noble, only the majority in the Marxist viewed circle of power can be racist. BLM is chin deep in this pseudo-science psychobabble
Yes, I’ve heard that nonsense that black people can’t be racist. It gives them the excuse to be as bigoted against whites and antisemitic against Jews as they want. My experience over the decades has been that prejudice is more prevalent among blacks than whites, and that’s only been confirmed in the last few years via social media posts, and in the last few weeks via BLM and their threats (and actions).

My hope is that the very loud “protestors” and SJWs who are firing people for refusing to state their support for this racist Marxist hate group are a very loud and very small minority of voters, and that normal people (not brainwashed to believe a lie) will show up at the polls to say “NO!” to the Democrats who are allowing it to unfold before our eyes.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:50 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
I don't disagree, but BLM is an incredible platform to drive practical police reform right now. It would be foolish to not embrace it, given the current, horrible state of the US police force. The traction BLM has at the moment should not be wasted.

With respect, how you're describing BLM seems parroted from right wing sources. How many times have you actually talked to people at BLM events? I rarely hear that kind of language from people at BLM events. I often hear it from right wing sources who try to justify discrediting protests. I spend a lot of time talking to both sides of the isle (I've flipped between democrat and republican a few times in my life, depending on the political climate), and currently I see more hate and fear from the right than the left.
I’m parroting right-wing sources? I just told you what I read directly on their own website. They say they want to DISRUPT the nuclear family (when they should be encouraging it) and say that whites are targeting blacks for DEMISE.

As far as hate, no question that it’s coming more from the left. I can’t even fathom how you can say it’s coming more from the right given that we have just seen weeks of the radical left destroy - or in one case, “capture” - cities throughout this nation.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:53 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,475 times
"Historians of the future will have a hard time figuring out how so many organized groups of strident jackasses succeeded in leading us around by the nose and morally intimidating the majority into silence." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies