Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Trump has 45% approval.
But that's 141 million people. I'm betting we can find 65 million of them to vote for Trump.
Trump will win.

Open the public schools; it's a good idea. Colleges are a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
About the only people who would be affected are teachers over 50. Young teachers and kids have extremely low infection rates even below the flu.

You remember when you were 8 years old? You think you could have done your school work at home. How about all those kids whose parents work or the learning challenged that struggle even in classes.

Kids need to be in school.

I have relatives that are working trailer trash. It would be a disaster for their kids if they did not go to school. They are not unusual.
You're wrong. While yes typically more severe cases are elderly and those with comorbidities, young people can end up in the hospital without them. And we don't know how much children can spread the virus though the Texas day care system and Missouri camp situations are showing that perhaps children can spread it.

I WANT kids to be in school. Especially the kids I typically work with. They need structure. They need to be in school. They need consistency and they likely aren't getting it at home. When they return, behaviors will likely increase. The problem is it is not safe where I live to reopen schools since we reopened the state too hard too fast fearing the economic impact. Arizona is set to reopen schools in just about a month, yet we have a very high positivity of cases and hospitals are looking to be hitting capacity. And that is with Gov. Ducey pushing back the in-person start date to August 17th. We won't be opening August 17th at this rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
If the schools aren't open then every teacher and bureaucrat should be furloughed indefinitely until they are open. Think the teachers' union can get on board with that? Their dues might dry up.
No, just no. It wouldn't work. First off, who sets up the lessons for the students each week or day? Who grades the materials for students? We cannot furlough teachers. During the spring shutdowns, the teachers still ran class and graded. The ones who might get furloughed are support staff in classrooms like me. And sadly unless we have an extension of federal unemployment, I will be hurting bad. Should I get the virus (I might have been exposed through summer work) I would be uninsured and have to cover out of pocket since I cannot get on Medicaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Nothing. The SCIENCE tells us that children are at almost no risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19, much less die from it.

What we have here is a bunch of selfish, scared, brainwashed by the media liberal teachers who love the idea of sitting on their asses at home for the rest of their lives while doing a 2-hour zoom session every day and getting paid for it.

Education is an essential service. If you are a teacher and scared to teach kids, go find a different job. The teachers have been failing at their jobs for a long time anyway.
The science hasn't told us if children spread the disease or not. Why, we haven't investigated it. How many teachers lives are worth dying for you to realize that you are wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Schools opening are essential to the economy. What are parents going to do if the kids can't go to school? In many households there is a real need for 2 incomes and staying home with the kids is a recipe for financial ruin.
They are but how much protection do the schools need to open and how fast are schools shutdown if there are rising cases in the area before it infects the school staff, their families and parents of students?

Quote:
In another posting here in this forum Trump is being slammed for wanting to spend money to help people get through this downturn. SO he wants to cut spending he is slammed. If he wants to spend money he is slammed. I can't keep up with the outrage from the Left.
I never slammed Trump for spending money in the pandemic. If I did, it was because of an ineffective plan, where the money went to (PPP loan fisaco anyone) or he wasn't planning on giving enough money. Not that he was handing out money.

Quote:
There has to be a way to open the schools up safely and on time come this Fall. We need to return to a semblance of normal or we are doomed no matter who is President.
Here is the problem though. Areas like the Sunbelt and the rust belt did actually "return to normalcy." This happened around Memorial Day. What do we see, cases spiking in the Sunbelt by the end of June. Southern California is also seeing a spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
We did? The CDC back then said masks weren't necessary unless you were sick.

If a child has a "snotty" nose then perhaps the child should be sent home.
Here is the issue. Technically if you have a headache from allergies and a cough (possible from allergies as well) and sneeze from allergies, you have to go home due to health screening. This is staff and student. In most states, there are about 18 days (10% of instructional days) you can miss in a given year as a student without an IEP based on disability. So a Covid-19 cases or quarantine takes 10 off the bat. For staff, you likely get around 6-10 new sick days. In my district we cannot use discretionary (vacation) days anymore for sick days if your sick day bank runs dry. I have about two calendar weeks in discretionary hours and no sick hours (they reset every year by state law.) Now with Covid-19, you are covered 10 days but any recovery after that, who knows.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:43 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Does he have to tell you everything? I would think would be able to figure out things on their own. Why the dependency?

Finger pointing is just a deflection away from our own incompetency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A normal president would have brought together health experts and educators back in March to come up with recommendations instead of just threats.
There is a Coronavirus task force, that your tax dollars are going towards --- what more do you want them to spend on? How many more agencies do you wish for the federal government to create? And when do you say enough already? Here's a thought, why not each State and/or City (spend their tax dollars on) have their own Coronavirus task force, seeing as how, they are closer to their citizens and should know their needs, rather than someone who is a 1000 miles away, assuming things, they don't really know, telling them how they should proceed? Oh wait ...

Quote:
Does he have to tell you everything? I would think would be able to figure out things on their own. Why the dependency?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
Exactly. This is why we need to stop paying federal income taxes. We shouldn't defund the police. We should defund our useless federal government.
I will wager that a vast majority of Americans when trash pick up day came and went and they were left holding the bag, they didn't have a clue as to what to do with it ... members of Congress didn't either.
Quote:
Obama threatened it ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
No president can cut it. Only Congress. I don't care what Obama did. We're in 2020 now.
The power of the purse? It must have teeth ...

Feds threaten to pull education funding from N.C. over transgender bathroom bill

"President Obama’s Justice Department on Wednesday threatened to pull federal education dollars from North Carolina if the state does not repeal a law prohibiting people from using public restrooms of the opposite sex.
<snip>
The agency said North Carolina officials have until Monday to address the issue, or the state risks losing millions of dollars in federal education funding."

It appears that the trumpster is pulling a page out of an old playbook, if the States do not comply in opening the educational facilitates within their States. This is what happens with a centralized power and purse --- leveraged. If the States did not rely on the federal tit, the power in decision making would be that of their own.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Trump has 45% approval.
But that's 141 million people. I'm betting we can find 65 million of them to vote for Trump.
Trump will win.

I work at a college in the cafe --- what would you have me to do, to make my bills? The federal government to spend more money and pay me to sit on my butt? edti: not to mention the loss in innovation, where as the college kids are the future of this country.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:

Oh just wow. Finger pointing is a deflection on our own incompetency? Hello, have you heard ANYTHING trump has said? Blaming his failures on everyone.

We are not dependent on trump. We are dependent on a national plan. Look at how well the tri-state is doing with re-infection. It’s because they have a plan. Then you go to the south, they are doing something completely different and it’s getting out of control. Those people travel, spreading it everywhere.

If trump came out leading the country to coordinate a response we’d be in a very different place. Instead he is politicizing it, blaming everyone and making it a mess.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:33 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
this is interesting.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ec02FXtW...jpg&name=large

German study shows low coronavirus infection rate in schools
Quote:
"Children may even act as a brake on infection," Berner told a news conference, saying infections in schools had not led to an outbreak, while the spread of the virus within households was also less dynamic than previously thought.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:13 PM

407 posts, read 123,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Trump has 45% approval.
Trump will win.

Why do you need the public schools open? You might have your schools open in the south and poor states, but I can see the more affluent states passing on the risk.

Don't they already have low community spread? What about schools being open with high community spread? That's what we need to see.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:17 PM

407 posts, read 123,030 times
Quote:
I will wager that a vast majority of Americans when trash pick up day came and went and they were left holding the bag, they didn't have a clue as to what to do with it ... members of Congress didn't either.
Feds don't pay for trash pick up. States do. Towns do. What exactly are the feds doing for anyone other than making a mess? They shouldn't get one more cent.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Oh just wow. Finger pointing is a deflection on our own incompetency? Hello, have you heard ANYTHING trump has said? Blaming his failures on everyone.

We are not dependent on trump. We are dependent on a national plan. Look at how well the tri-state is doing with re-infection. It’s because they have a plan. Then you go to the south, they are doing something completely different and it’s getting out of control. Those people travel, spreading it everywhere.

If trump came out leading the country to coordinate a response we’d be in a very different place. Instead he is politicizing it, blaming everyone and making it a mess.
Meanwhile, we blame him? Because of what? If the government has to tell you everything, then they are right, in their assumption that the average citizen is in need of a good parent. Finger pointing never solved anything.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
Feds don't pay for trash pick up. States do. Towns do. What exactly are the feds doing for anyone other than making a mess? They shouldn't get one more cent.
You missed the point Jax --- but the rats didn't they had a field day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies