Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 09:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,348,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Why do you find it acceptable to "challenge notions" of motherhood and all the other feminine ideals that have been cherished throughout centuries? What entices you to celebrate androgynous non-reproductive "femininity"?

This is the real "war on women."
Because traditional notions of femininity are not the only ideals our modern society should cherish. Celebrating trans men and women doesn’t make motherhood less. I suppose if one were insecure, I can understand why one would be threatened by celebrating the beauty in other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 11:45 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Well what are you saying. It remains a fact that men are men, and women are women. You can have all the surgeries you want to, it will not make any difference.
Sure thing, except biologically thats not a fact, it depends on a number of factors that, based on criterion used, will include or exclude certain members of both groups. If you go phenotype (physically) there are men who are karyotype XX, and women who are XY, so, that would mean you're not excluding XY from being women, or XX being men.

Of course if you base it on karyotype you have the same issue, men with vaginas, and women with penises.

Both of these result in the same conclusion, that there are members of gender group that diverge from the norm, by karyotype or phenotype depending on the criteria. If you combine them then your exclusions gets pretty big, and if you include surgical alterations it gets bigger (I mean, isn't circumcision surgical alteration?). So then men aren't necessarily men, and women aren't necessarily women, and there's a set between them with various criteria that excludes them from being "men" and "women"

The poster I responded to had criteria that resolved to "women area walking incubators, with menses, prone to certain cancers", I guess their male gender resolved to "men are walking sperms donors, prone to different cancers" (this may be wrong, I'm extrapolating). Is that sufficient? Are you so proud of your gender label that it being, in essence, that functional has meaning? The label really is so trivial that its of little value. If you're not proud of that label, then we need to add further criteria that are not based on phenotypes and karyotypes, which may then include people with different genitalia and chromosomes than expected, and then where's your men are men, women are women fact?

Old 07-13-2020, 04:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Why do you find it acceptable to "challenge notions" of motherhood and all the other feminine ideals that have been cherished throughout centuries? What entices you to celebrate androgynous non-reproductive "femininity"?

This is the real "war on women."
Maiden, mother and crone are the three traditional guises of womanhood and only one those is reproductive. If anything, defining femininity by something other than the ability to produce babies is a return to tradition, not a deviation from it. The veneration of the nuclear family is a very 20th Century notion.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:59 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Because traditional notions of femininity are not the only ideals our modern society should cherish. Celebrating trans men and women doesn’t make motherhood less. I suppose if one were insecure, I can understand why one would be threatened by celebrating the beauty in other people.
Trying to make mental illness out to be normal is also a sign of mental illness. That's the problem. Calling it "beautiful" and "celebrating" it is pretty deranged. Yes, they deserve to be treated equally and with respect, but don't tell me I have to think it is "beautiful" and "celebrate" it. That just more leftist control freak drivel. Just because people don't promote something doesn't make them bad.

The new Mantra of the Left for BLM, LGBT, etc. is that you must actively PROMOTE their insanity or you are automatically racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. That is wrong.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:10 AM

339 posts, read 127,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit magazine is is going extreme left. Good luck when sales plummet.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Is sports illustrated even relevant anymore
no...hardly anyone here even commenting on this

Old 07-13-2020, 12:09 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
I don’t like violent sports, therefore I don’t subscribe to it. If I petitioned sports channels to exclude violent sports in their programming, then you would have a plausible basis for saying I’m exclusionary or “not being inclusive”. But that isn’t the case, is it?

In this instance, I’m advising people who have a problem with the SI editor’s decision to simply not subscribe, just as I don’t subscribe to violent sports. It’s really this simple.

“or else we’ll ruin you”? I’m not sure where you get the idea that I’m out to ruin these complainers here. Quite frankly, the only thing that’s ruined, probably, is the usual masturbatory habits of some with arcane views on gender.

Lets return to a little sanity and not have knee jerk freak outs and illogic when an editor decides to use his or her platform to support inclusion.

As I said, don’t buy the magazine if you don’t like it. Hashtag common sense.
My comments were broader in scope than that and refer to the backlash and yes...public ruin you can get for voicing a contrary opinion to the current mob sentiment.

I would have thought that you'd have heard of Martina Navratilova's run in over the topic of trans male>>female and if not that one would have to live in a very deep cave not to know about JK Rowling's situation on the topic.

CNN is running op-eds on what a awful "non-inclusive" person she is for not having "right think".

I personally feel that it's patently unfair to allow bio males to compete as women and I've clearly and logically stated why, yet I otherwise support people for being trans. Does that warrant people trying to ruin a business I had etc. because my views were different? Who is the arbiter of what is right and wrong? Seems awfully fascist to me.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:19 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:

Where this "need of celebration" is coming from and why?

On a side note - I have a gay friend ( even two actually.)
They don't "celebrate" anything.
They just go about their lives as anyone else, and THIS makes them much more accepted by people around them ( me including.)
But this militant "in your face" attitude sets off alarm in normal people.
I assume the aggression is coming from the failure to achieve the inner peace with oneself and inner balance, and so it spills to the surrounding world.

But if you can't achieve your yang and yin within yourself in the first place, how can you convince the rest of us that you are *normal?*

Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
There is a lot of venom on this thread. I would wager that most of the haters not only don't know a single transgender but have never met one. I used to be a hater too. It's hard to hate people once you get to know them.

They human beings.They have dreams and hopes and feelings, just like everyone else. I am fortunate. I happen to know a few.

I wish the model well. SI isnt a magazine that I read, but it's up to them who they put on their cover.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
There is a lot of venom on this thread. I would wager that most of the haters not only don't know a single transgender but have never met one. I used to be a hater too. It's hard to hate people once you get to know them.

They human beings.They have dreams and hopes and feelings, just like everyone else. I am fortunate. I happen to know a few.

I wish the model well. SI isnt a magazine that I read, but it's up to them who they put on their cover.
Kudos. Thank you for a very thoughtful and heartfelt post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies