Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 10:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

North Dakota Governor caves to mask restrictions -- and some other restrictions.

Gee golly i wonder why.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:50 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
North Dakota Governor caves to mask restrictions -- and some other restrictions.

Gee golly i wonder why.
He waited to get to a close to 1000 deaths per million in an extremely sparsely populated state in order to act. I guess better late than never.

P.S. I wonder if the S. Dakota genius in charge is going to do anything.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:20 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Now they're backtracking again and saying that masks can prevent you from Covid. Before it was masks can't protect you from Covid or protect others if you have it, then it was it can protect others but not you, now its both. With nothing new scientifically to back any of the claims up. Its airborne, you breathe, you either pass it along or you get it from someone else. 6 feet social distancing has no scientific basis, its just an arbitrary distance which is workable in business and social settings.
And if these cases are exploding to where they were back in April and May, why are the death counts still so drastically lower? It is spreading to areas where it wasn't spread previously, yes. And those who were isolated didn't get it then but can and will get it now based on its high contagiousness. Even if they're weairng masks, which everybody is now doing and still getting, according to those statistics. So why the George Orwell routing that everybody has to wear masks and nobody can be in a group if that doesn't do anything? Is Usurper Joe a control freak? F the old simpleton.
More science distortion from an anonymous source who falsely perceives an equivalency between the findings of science and their own uninformed opinion.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:52 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Hi guys. Is this where I check in to see if the COVID warnings disappeared after the election?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:22 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
This is getting to down right insanity. The mandates to wear masks have been followed by a large majority of the population; you can also see a slight sampling of it here in this thread as I think the maskers outnumber the anti's by at least 2-1 if not more.

Yet now that we are experiencing a 'spike', it is now the fault of the anti-maskers. Are you maskers really that brainwashed? The death rate is not increasing, in fact it is lower on the new numbers than it is for the overall. But the media doesn't concentrate on that.

And now certain governors are calling for stay at home mandates again. Unless, of course, you have to go to work, the store, the doctor, get food, the bank, you know. But Thanksgiving is cancelled. You can only have it with the folks that already live with you. Yet you can go to work with strangers every day. You can go to the store with complete strangers all about every day.

Christmas is cancelled. Household members only. But you can go out and Christmas shop as much as you want around complete strangers as much as you want. Just wear the dang mask and comply and shut up.

When oh when will you awaken from your stupor Oh USA? It seriously is starting to look like some old testament prophecy where God basically strikes folks blind.
I haven't seen Thanksgiving or Christmas cancelled. Even in liberal leftist NJ, the cap on gatherings is 10 people, whether from inside your household or not. That's a pretty decent number to me, and it's not like anyone is going to come over and count to make sure you don't have 11. The main reason for the caps is so they can shut down really large gatherings, which may become a problem not with Christmas dinner with the family, but the parties before.

But clearly at the rate the virus is now spreading, Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be concerning. Governors can hardly ignore the rising numbers in their states.

The difference between going shopping and household transmission is no one wears masks at home and you're with people for extended time.

Even without mandates, with numbers and especially hospitalizations rising as they are, people are going to stay at home with or without mandates. If we truly want a functioning economy again we have to control the rate of spread so that people feel safe enough to go out. It is a balancing act.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:10 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htuky View Post
Its pathetic they think they can tell people HOW TO HAVE THIER HOLIDAYS!!!

But sadly more people will follow this than we want to think about!
It's recommended that there not be huge family gatherings this year. But I don't see any arrests coming if people choose not to abide by those recommendations.
Hospitalizations are going up. Many states and cities are stretched to capacity. You know why? Because Covid is a virus and is not political and doesn't care what people do or don't do to mitigate its spread. If we're smart, we'll socially distance, wear masks and limit our exposure to large crowds. If we don't, then there is the likelihood that the virus will continue to spread. It's sad that people rail against others who are just trying to do the responsible thing according to the medical experts.

I'm glad a lot of folks are continuing to take this virus seriously. Are we all sick and tired of it? Yes we are. But Covid doesn't care we are exhausted and tired of isolating. It will continue to spread as long as it has hosts.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:27 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's recommended that there not be huge family gatherings this year. But I don't see any arrests coming if people choose not to abide by those recommendations.
Hospitalizations are going up. Many states and cities are stretched to capacity. You know why? Because Covid is a virus and is not political and doesn't care what people do or don't do to mitigate its spread. If we're smart, we'll socially distance, wear masks and limit our exposure to large crowds. If we don't, then there is the likelihood that the virus will continue to spread. It's sad that people rail against others who are just trying to do the responsible thing according to the medical experts.

I'm glad a lot of folks are continuing to take this virus seriously. Are we all sick and tired of it? Yes we are. But Covid doesn't care we are exhausted and tired of isolating. It will continue to spread as long as it has hosts.
NYC is going into people's homes to stop religious gatherings of over 10 people.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:10 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
NYC is going into people's homes to stop religious gatherings of over 10 people.
I've read where they want to limit the gatherings to 10 or less, but I haven't read that they've gone into any homes. I don't know how they know unless people get careless and loud. I know a lot of churches have stopped indoor gatherings. My own small church holds outdoor services with everyone masked and socially distancing. NYC and other places are doing what they deem they have to do to mitigate the spread of a deadly virus. It's sad that it's that way and I understand the Covid weariness. However, Covid isn't political and doesn't care if you're in NYC or MS. It's going to do its thing and spread to as many people as it can unless and until we do what we can to mitigate that spread. Socially distance. Wear a mask. These are the times we are living in. Oppressive yes. Personal? No. Political? No.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:57 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,901,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Do a kindergarten physics experiment for us: try to spit as as far as you can without a mask and with a mask on. Let us know if the distance travelled by your spit is different in these two cases.

The death counts are lower (but not low) due to the better understanding of the disease, better treatments and patient management compared to the early days. Additionally, on average, a younger crowd is getting infected. And of course the deaths lag cases by multiple weeks.

Lastly, various states, that should have been very successful in tackling the outbreak due to their obvious inherent advantages are doing terribly. Take Dakotas, 10 people per sq. mile, exploding cases and huge death rates. N. Dakota is at above 900 per million. That shows what irresponsible policies and irresponsible behavior do.
You don't get covid from spitting. The virus goes into an aresol that can float in the air for up to 8 hours.
https://theconversation.com/coronavi...erosols-136663

Masks are not going to help that much. They are just lying to people to convince them to wear masks but lying will backfire. I don't believe anything they say anymore.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:07 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
You don't get covid from spitting. The virus goes into an aresol that can float in the air for up to 8 hours.
https://theconversation.com/coronavi...erosols-136663

Masks are not going to help that much. They are just lying to people to convince them to wear masks but lying will backfire. I don't believe anything they say anymore.
You missed the point. Can't say I'm surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies