Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 06:23 AM

67 posts, read 40,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Zing! Reps to you.

the avg person dying from covid is 80 years old

the same as the national avg. The vast majority of these people had 1 foot in the grave, let's be honest here

Old 07-25-2020, 06:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB108 View Post
keep it to healthy people under 60 and the death rate is like 0.000001%

why is our whole life changed and things are shut down and people's livelihoods is sacrificed to something that's barely more than a common cold?

Is this just a government test worldwide to see how much they can terrify and control us?
Do you want permanent lung or brain damage?

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/07/08...ngering-marks/

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...d-19-infection

Old 07-25-2020, 06:24 AM

67 posts, read 40,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How do you separate in multi-generational homes, how do you address school teachers, how do you segregate 30 year olds from the elderly or compromised.

last time I checked, you can drink and smoke yourself to an early grave

this is America. If you're immune compromised or you live in a household with 85 year olds, stay the **** home and wear 5 masks and don't talk to anybody... but to enforce this garbage on people like myself who are under no risk and have no family under any risk (my parents are very healthy) is just absurd...

Old 07-25-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
the avg person dying from covid is 80 years old

the same as the national avg. The vast majority of these people had 1 foot in the grave, let's be honest here
Let's be honest here, you probably have the medical education level of the TV show ER..... Maybe the permanent brain damage won't really affect you if you get it but it will affect others of us significantly

Last edited by chopchop0; 07-25-2020 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2020, 06:25 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
OMG please stop it with this.. so far over 10 million (that we know of) have recovered. Where are the epidemics of damage?

They don't exist.

Just fear mongering scare tactics.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
OMG please stop it with this.. so far over 10 million (that we know of) have recovered. Where are the epidemics of damage?

They don't exist.

Just fear mongering scare tactics
Fake news. There's plenty of evidence on these forums

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

Old 07-25-2020, 06:33 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
It’s emotionally painful for people to admit the lockdown was/is an overreaction. It’s fine to be cautious, especially if you’re not sure what’s going on, but it’s been close to half a year already and none of the doomsday predictions have played out. It’s always “Just wait two weeks...you’ll see.”

Old 07-25-2020, 06:35 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
I'll be shocked if the real death rate is anything above 0.1% once the dust is settled
Ok, let me try to make this as simple as I can. It's not like this info's been out there all this time anyway.

The reason the death rate has been relatively low is because the number of hospitalization and the need for ICUs hasn't surpassed the number of ICUs available. I'm talking about the availability of respirators, medical personnel, drugs, and other factors involved in treating patients that are not reacting well to this infection.

The concern is when the number of infections and severe cases begin to outnumber the hospitals' capacity to treat everyone. Imagine if the number of ICUs needed was double what is available. Then what?

The death rate right now is artificially being kept low due to availability of medical resources. Once the infection rate and the overall infection number surpass our medical resources' ability to artificially keep these people alive, the death rate will begin to climb.

Here is an example that will make it easier to understand. The bubonic plague is actually pretty easy for our modern medicine to treat. Whenever it turns up somewhere in the world, it is stamped out almost immediately. And so, the death rate to that is lower than low nowadays.

And yet, once upon a time, it killed off about 70% of Europe's population. Why? How? It was left to spread unchecked.

Seeing just how low of a death rate the bubonic plague is nowadays, are you really going to make the argument that it is no big deal? Probably not because we have historical example of it wiping out 70% of the population.

Apply that to the coronavirus. The death rate is low right now because our modern medical resources are artificially keeping it that way. If and when the number of infections and severe cases are more than our medical resources can handle, we will start to see an uptick in the death rate due to severe cases left untreated due to the system being overwhelmed.

Let me guess, you're going to come back with something rightwing and clever or sarcastic. I don't know why I even bother with you guys anymore.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:38 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Apply that to the coronavirus. The death rate is low right now because our modern medical resources are artificially keeping it that way. If and when the number of infections and severe cases are more than our medical resources can handle, we will start to see an uptick in the death rate due to severe cases left untreated due to the system being overwhelmed.

Let me guess, you're going to come back with something rightwing and clever or sarcastic. I don't know why I even bother with you guys anymore.
That is simply not true. You can find 3rd world countries with similar death rates or even better?

I am also tired of hearing "what if"... we are 6 months into this... no more "what if" we know the answers.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:40 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

They don't exist.

Just fear mongering scare tactics.
This many have recovered due to our modern medical resources. And our modern medical resources are still effective because the rate of infection and the total of infection are still within what our resources can handle.

If left unchecked, the rate of infection and number of infection could go far beyond what our resources can handle. Then the death rate will dramatically increase due to the system being overwhelmed.

Here is an analogy. You go skydiving. The parachute keeps you from plunging to your death. After you've landed, you start telling people that gravity isn't such a big deal. After all, you survived falling from the sky, literally. Nevermind the fact that the parachute was artificially keeping you alive.

Now, let's suppose that there are more people skydiving than there are the number of parachutes available. Those who survives the fall due to having a parachute will say it's no big deal. What about all the people who didn't get a parachute because the number of skydivers heavily outnumber the number of parachutes available? Then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies