Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 05:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times

Advertisements

Whoa! (pic in #108) The banjo playing kid in Deliverance grew up to become Donald Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 05:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
And those of you peeing yourselves over it always take perfect pictures. Right.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
The ones in a mental decline from 1999 to 2020 are the democrats

Old 08-06-2020, 06:03 PM

191 posts, read 91,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The ones in a mental decline from 1999 to 2020 are the democrats
No.... it's the conservatives who have been voting for supply side policies and then become surprised when profits were maximized. You aren't one of those wishy washy Texas conservatives who all of sudden became protectionist?

It's like conservatives had amnesia from before 2016......

Old 08-06-2020, 06:44 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You have to understand in 1999 he was just a normal guy. He could get on tv and say whatever he wanted in detail and not be assault for weeks later.

Now he has to be careful what he says, not be too detailed and say something -- without saying something -- plausible deniability so he can back off anything that doesn't go down well.

So you are saying all the ridiculous, misleading, confused and out and out lies Trump says on a daily basis are carefully thought out?

Old 08-06-2020, 06:49 PM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
People backing Demented Uncle Joe have no business talking about Trump.

If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.
You got that right joan about the stones.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:22 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
i listened to half the interview, it's trump. I would say, he's probably more relaxed and more laid back, but that's the only difference. He's always been a dummy, so I have no idea what this was meant to prove

Old 08-06-2020, 11:46 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is not just a case of some slowing down with age - he is a completely different person.

Below is an interview he did with Larry King in 1999. He is calm, articulate, smooth, measured, acts dignified and can speak in complete and complex sentences with a large vocabulary. Heck, I might even have considered voting for him back then, or at least I wouldn't have minded if he got elected. I've no doubt he was just as much the narcissist back then as he is now, but at least he was clearly capable of covering that up with intelligent statements, a generous amount of charm and something resembling at least a facade of compassion.

Fast-forward 21 years and the differences are stunning. His voice is rough, his vocabulary is clearly much smaller, his sentences are short and choppy, and he is constantly repeating himself - the latter of which he does very little of in the 1999 interview. It is breathtaking how completely different he is now. And I note this is an interview with a friendly interviewer. Anybody who denies he has gone drastically downhill since then has blinders on.
There are some behavioral changes but they aren't compelling evidence for dementia.

That isn't really what clinically definable cognitive impairment looks like.

The question is whether the behavioral changes suggest anything sinister. There's not really much evidence of that either.

For someone under conditions of social exclusion (subject to disproportionate scrutiny, candid disclosures, stigmatization) he's actually holding up well. How many months do you think you'd last if constrained to the same abuses?

Much of the research on social exclusion is circumstantial, but I would guess most people would fall apart in weeks.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:31 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
There are some behavioral changes but they aren't compelling evidence for dementia.

That isn't really what clinically definable cognitive impairment looks like.

The question is whether the behavioral changes suggest anything sinister. There's not really much evidence of that either.

For someone under conditions of social exclusion (subject to disproportionate scrutiny, candid disclosures, stigmatization) he's actually holding up well. How many months do you think you'd last if constrained to the same abuses?

Much of the research on social exclusion is circumstantial, but I would guess most people would fall apart in weeks.
The decline Trump has been showing has nothing to do with social exclusion. Every other president before him has not gotten so mentally bad while in office (with the possible exception of Reagan, who did in fact develop Alzheimer's). Furthermore, there were people noting his early symptoms even before he was elected, so one can hardly blame the stresses of the office for that.

Those are not mere behavioral changes. They are ... pretty much everything. If you can't see how significantly he's declined you have blinders on.

I swear, for some of these Trumpies, Trump could be in a vegetative state and these Trumpies would say he is just fine.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The decline Trump has been showing has nothing to do with social exclusion. Every other president before him has not gotten so mentally bad while in office (with the possible exception of Reagan, who did in fact develop Alzheimer's). Furthermore, there were people noting his early symptoms even before he was elected, so one can hardly blame the stresses of the office for that.

Those are not mere behavioral changes. They are ... pretty much everything. If you can't see how significantly he's declined you have blinders on.

I swear, for some of these Trumpies, Trump could be in a vegetative state and these Trumpies would say he is just fine.
I'm just going by your own criteria here. Shorter sentences, simpler vocabulary, repetitions.

These are behavioural changes. They are not suggestive of cognitive impairment by themselves.

With Biden, the index of suspicion is a bit higher, because he shows two of the classic triad of language deficits in dementia (anomia, sentence incohesion, interpretive deficits). These features are suggestive, but not diagnostic by themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies