Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Trump has vowed to protect SS and medicare.
Oddly, he never considers his vows as promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:10 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,907,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Has anyone seen Mr. BankTrumptcy this fearful, scared and desperate? Just think what he'll be coming up with in the next 2 months!!! I'm sure he's been making desperate calls to Russia: Aren't you going to help me this time?
Trump will win in a landslide because if you're black and don't vote for Biden, you're too stupid to think for yourself! Wow, did sleepy Joe REALLY insult blacks like this??

Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 AM

295 posts, read 143,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaefer687 View Post
Obama never touched the SS Trust Fund!

https://www.ssa.gov/history/InternetMyths2.html
wrong wrong wrong - your loved one obama in 2012 reduced the tax from 6.2 to 4.2

so yes he did you are covering up the fact - you can run but you cant hide from the truth

Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
And clearly no one cares about you. And the ignore list adds another one.
Not my problem if people don't plan for their own retirement and healthcare.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Trump can’t do that. It’s going to get tossed out in court immediately. Congress controls taxation and appropriations. No employer is going to stop deducting payroll taxes from their employees because they know that it’s going to get tossed out in court. Same for the $400 unemployment kicker where the states are required to pay 25%. This is political grandstanding instead of actually leading.
He only extended the due date for the taxes which he likely can do. I am sure it will be challenged in court.
He put ketchup on a well done steak the other day I am am pretty sure that is going to be struck down in the NY Southern District Court today.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You wonder where the people come from that believe this, or if they REALLY believe this. Are they simply trolling? What's the true origin of these ridiculous memes?

Many people I know are working as hard as they can, barely getting by for slave wages, constantly looking for ways to improve their situation but it is unlikely they will ever be able to pull themselves out of the hole.

Does anyone in their right mind think that these people are going to be able to save enough money for their retirement? Or enough to cover the cost of any significant medical problem? Don't kid yourself, destroying SS and Medicare, which has always been the intent of the Republican party and now the Trump party, will turn the USA into a third world country. A nation where many elderly citizens will be cast aside like refuse.

We (society) should strive to assist those truly in need. Those with infirmities that render them incapable of caring for themselves. The notion that 'everyone' gets social security is, in my opinion, ludicrous. It is a byproduct of the Great Depression and has created nothing less of an entitlement mentality that the 'government' will provide for you. It's not even REMOTELY aligned with what our founding fathers intended the government 'to do'.

As I said- I was taught, no drilled that S.S. would be gone by the time I retire. At current pace and my remaining timeline it will certainly be paying out more than taking in when I am 'eligible' to receive some of my $$ back. That's precisely why I started saving at an early age. It took discipline and I made decisions (not sacrifices) to make it happen.

I didn't make a ton of money in my younger years. However my wife and I (married at 23) managed to save 10% of our wages starting out. Then 20%, then 25%. We peeled some it off for 529's for the kids.. Maxed our 401K's. I took risks leaving a good paying job to be part of a start-up, a business that was eventually sold and I made some $$.

I didn't blow my $ on fancy restaurants, latte's, fancy trendy clothes or that BS. Those are and have been 'rare treats'. I treat that retirement savings amount like a bill- I have to pay it. I wasn't lucky- I'm disciplined.

I could see the benefit of a unified healthcare program- something that benefits ensuring good health for the country. Businesses could benefit as well as the individual- it would be one less burden for commerce to contend with. There would be a 'common good' to some extent- albeit a stretch. Social Security? No. That program is just an IOU for some $ when you get old so you're not quite broke. It served to make people less concerned about taking retirement matters into their own hands.

The government should be out of the retirement investment business. Hell they can't even balance a stupid budget- what makes everyone think they should be managing your retirement!

Last edited by Threerun; 08-10-2020 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 08:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Retirees take note, Trump and the GOP do not give two ****s about your health during this coronavirus crisis nor do they care about protecting your social security income and benefits -- in fact they want to get rid of it completely.
You forgot that they want retirees to eat cat food also.
Although at the current price of cat and dog food that is unlikely. I bought my cat some little cans of Fancy Feast cost over the weekend and I am sure it costs more than chunk light tuna

Old 08-10-2020, 08:32 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Something else I thought about that doesn't get much of a mention, is that Social Security is also a disability benefit program. Seeing lawyer ads soliciting clients that have been denied Social Security Disability benefits jogged my memory, I guess.

So back to the SS website for some stats, which show an 84% increase since 1990 in Disabled Worker Beneficiaries, 105% increase in Disabled Widow/Widowers, and 24% increase in Disabled Adult Children beneficiaries.

Although we may think of SS as primarily a retirement benefit program (like it is for me), a lot of people younger than us have already been drinking from that well.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Something else I thought about that doesn't get much of a mention, is that Social Security is also a disability benefit program. Seeing lawyer ads soliciting clients that have been denied Social Security Disability benefits jogged my memory, I guess.

So back to the SS website for some stats, which show an 84% increase since 1990 in Disabled Worker Beneficiaries, 105% increase in Disabled Widow/Widowers, and 24% increase in Disabled Adult Children beneficiaries.

Although we may think of SS as primarily a retirement benefit program (like it is for me), a lot of people younger than us have already been drinking from that well.

I saw so much SSDI abuse when I lived and worked in WV it was not funny. A LOT.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Not my problem if people don't plan for their own retirement and healthcare.
Unfortunately unforeseen circumstances or illness can happen to anyone at any time no matter how prepared they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies