Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You are totally wrong. There is a social security fund. Its not a "lock box," but it is a fund.
Incorrect. There are "projections" that take into account SS and Medicare tax revenue vs. SS and medicare spending, but there is no actual "lock box." Congress has been raiding SS and Medicare tax revenues and appropriating them for different purposes for decades.

Quote:
And there is no legal obligation for the government to meet that shortfall.
That is correct. There is no guarantee of payout of SS or Medicare benefits despite the fact that many people will pay 40 years or more worth of those taxes. So ruled by SCOTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:56 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
We're probably not that far apart on how we see the issue. However I don't use words like 'king' or 'decree' to describe what the executive branch does.
I find it wholly appropriate to use those terms. Bypassing a purely congressional responsibility is the essence of governing by executive rule. It removes 'the people' from the process. The 'Power of the Purse' was expressly established as a check on the executive branch.

This EO usurps that.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decree
Decree-
an order usually having the force of law

Most famously the Emancipation Proclamation was an EO signed by Lincoln. So decree, proclamation- pick your poison.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:22 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Well since Obama cut the payroll tax in 2011 and 12, did you and the dems complain about that? Money was transferred from the general fund to SS. From 1 pot to another. If trump is deferring the payroll tax for the rest of the year for those under a specific income, that money will come due unless congress does something about it. Either at the end of the year or with next years taxes. Nothing is free. It gets repaid in one form or another.
I've voted evenly along both parties and I hold both conservative and liberal views. I would classify myself as an independent who often votes for the best leader with the best qualities I view embody a good leader, not so much along party lines. Social security and social programs that provide for society and the greater good are one of the areas I hold a liberal mentality and views.

I am not sure what the Democrats think about a Democrat reducing funding for a social program or if they complained. I only can speak on my thoughts about it. Obama, Trump, Big Bird, republican, democrat, neon green party.... any person and or group that reduces (or eliminates) funding for social security and other programs that provide for our weak, elderly, sick, infirm, sick etc. is a mistake and I believe it is wrong of them to do so because it would be detrimental to those who we ethically should provide for as a compassionate human species. It is my opinion one of the biggest (if not the biggest) role of the government to do this.

Eventually when the piper comes it will be time to pay him. The problem with some mortgage loan forgiveness programs today are, sure, they will defer your payment for a few months if one is experiencing hardship but right at the end of the period, all that money is due back at once. How is the homeowner supposed to pay all at once if they were not pulling in enough money as it is during those deferred months? The answer is they won't. The same I think will hold true when the piper comes to get paid. He will come for his money and it will not be there. So the debtee will Rob Peter to pay Paul or just not pay his debt. And we all know what happens when people, organizations, entities do not pay their debts. They get brought around back and "offed" by Guido eventually, after enough time passes.

I do not understand how some republicans are ok with taking from one fund to fund another (when they are all being funded by tax dollars or debt) or decreasing funding when neither of those two things reduces debt (one of them actually increases it), which is what many Republicans want

Old 08-11-2020, 12:45 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Watch the White House youtube videos to keep up. Presstitutes might ask about it as a 'gotcha' question. Anything related to money, Sec. Mnuchin or economic advisor Larry Kudlow might speak about it. Trump is a businessman who has proven how creative he is with finding unused money hidden in the bloated budget. Look at The Wall for example.

Dems always drag out that old chestnut, Republicans will defund Social Security and Medicare! Hasn't happened yet. Don't fall for it. What you should be worried about is Dems splitting those pies to give illegals those unearned benefits. Wake up and #WalkAway
"That old chestnut" originated with President Eisenhower:

Quote:
“Should any political party attempt to abolish social security unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group of course that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few other Texas oil millionaires and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.â€

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old 08-11-2020, 12:54 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
"That old chestnut" originated with President Eisenhower:
Indeed. They were a well known phenomenon while he was in office.

Eisenhower was referring to what would eventually become the Tea Party and the House Freedom Caucus and the Koch libertarian wing of the Republican party.

These efforts opposing Social Security did not originate in the 1950's, but actually back in the 1930's when Social Security was first enacted. Some Republicans never gave up the struggle to kneecap and destroy the program. These were the Republicans Eisenhower repudiated and later Reagan encouraged.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:13 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Indeed. They were a well known phenomenon while he was in office.

Eisenhower was referring to what would eventually become the Tea Party and the House Freedom Caucus and the Koch libertarian wing of the Republican party.

These efforts opposing Social Security did not originate in the 1950's, but actually back in the 1930's when Social Security was first enacted. Some Republicans never gave up the struggle to kneecap and destroy the program. These were the Republicans Eisenhower repudiated and later Reagan encouraged.
Agree, that is it in the proverbial nutshell.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If congress would do their job then the executive branch wouldn't have to govern by pen and paper. I believe the president will succeed/be affirmed with this process, and 'force' compromise in congress.

Congress gives away their authority by doing nothing, except for political gain. They're all guilty of partisanship.

Term Limits & Balanced budgets, is our only hope.
As much as it is Congress, it is largely the Republicans in the Senate who cannot agree on the time of day to get any semblance of a potential deal. Senator McConnell said he didn't have the votes for the White House guidelines yet wouldnt put the House Plan to a floor vote. Id throw Nancy Pelosi under the bus if need be but she didn't do anything wrong here.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:23 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
I've voted evenly along both parties and I hold both conservative and liberal views. I would classify myself as an independent who often votes for the best leader with the best qualities I view embody a good leader, not so much along party lines. Social security and social programs that provide for society and the greater good are one of the areas I hold a liberal mentality and views.
I do not agree. I would've preferred to invest MY money, MYSELF. I've held TRBCX since the mid 90's. I have paid into S.S./Medicaid over $135,000 in my lifetime (to date). If I were able to invest that money into that T Rowe Price fund, over the SAME time- I would have an additional $623,039 in my retirement fund now.

$3,777 invested annually over 36 years with a conservative 10% return. That fund has a 10 year average return of 18%. Not running an actuary table but if I retire in 8 years (as planned), that amount flat alone would provide way more than S.S. ever would.

Presented with that opportunity, I could've diversified earlier and put some of that savings into bonds- lower rate of return but more secure. That's what the SS fund does- they hold Treasuries. I wouldn't have done nearly as much as what I could've made in TRBCX- but it would've given me that opportunity. That's called 'lost opportunity'.

So no- I don't agree that the government should 'look out for me' in the cause of the common good. The government doesn't give one whit about me, my finances or health. That's my job. All they want is my vote.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-11-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 02:07 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
I have to shake my head when people make this statement. What benefit would anyone get by intentionally destroying the country? I do not think any side or most any faction within the sides want to destroy the country. They just want to move the country in a direction they think is best, even if what they think is best is not everyone's idea of best.

You have to understand Trump. He wants to run this country like its one of his businesses. With no restrictions. See how some of those worked out. He loves to fire people that wont doctor up reports before they go public. How many now have lost their jobs because they wouldnt do that. Corruption is involved in everything he touches. If he cant have it his way, he will destroy it, and put the blame elsewhere.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:31 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As much as it is Congress, it is largely the Republicans in the Senate who cannot agree on the time of day to get any semblance of a potential deal. Senator McConnell said he didn't have the votes for the White House guidelines yet wouldnt put the House Plan to a floor vote. Id throw Nancy Pelosi under the bus if need be but she didn't do anything wrong here.
As has been said before... it's more important that bad bills do not pass than good ones. I tend to vacillate on this logic because I too have a political point of view.

Good and bad are subjective... most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies