Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 12:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That sounds unbelievably insane. If true, I hope your nephew is qualified to hand sort the mail. To qualify to hand sort the mail at the post office your nephew is supposed to have memorized which route every local address goes to that the post office serves. For example, if a post office has 35 routes, the worker is supposed to instantly know which route 1234 W. 21st goes to.

The sad fact is, that many of the Postal Clerks now at the PO, have never had scheme training to know what letter goes with what carrier. Those high-speed sorting machines rendered that knowledge unnecessary. There are also many less Postal Clerks (about 150,000 less) than there were 20 years ago. I used to teach scheme training and train people how to use the sorting equipment. When the high-speed sorters for letters and flats came in, many clerks that had that knowledge retired (I among them! ) Those people were replaced with lower-paid people who just took the mail from the high-speed sorting machines and put the mail into trays. Also, the Post Office hires temp people at low wages and no benefits (half-price compared to the regulars) now that don't give a crap! The Post Office has been "dumbed down" big time.

The girl who replaced me in my training job, lost that job when they closed the plant down I worked in (West Jersey) and had to become a Window Clerk (which she hates). She tells me that she was working 6 days a week and 10 hours a day since Covid hit in March and everybody and their Grandmother doubled their Amazon orders. When she's not at the window, she's sorting all those Amazon packages. Amazon dumps all the heavy packages at the PO and gives the lighter, smaller stuff to their "Amazon Delivery service" because their cars or small SUVs can't hold much.

With the new Postmaster General, De Joy eliminating overtime, the packages and letters just keep piling up. The Post Office is not filled with "Happy Campers", that's for sure! Someone needs to "Go Postal" on that SOB.

Last edited by TheEmissary; 08-16-2020 at 01:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 04:21 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
My prescriptions were dangerously late this week, like 6 days late. I take a drug that literally keeps me out of the hospital. I know Trump is trying to slow down the Post Office, but this is what happens to us when he messes with the P.O.. I think he poked the wrong bear this time. This is unbelievable.
You know how unions have "work slowdowns" when they are upset about something? Same thing.

If you can get to the grocery store, you can get out to vote, in person.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:26 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
I talked to my nephew who works at the Post Office, and he's telling me that they are in the process of throwing out the mail sorting machines. Not just warehousing them, but literally throwing them in the dumpster. So now everyone at the PO has to sort everything by hand, which takes forever---and they did away with overtime, too. These sorting machines have been there for years, and getting rid of them will not save the Post Office money, so the only conclusion I can come to is that they are intentionally trying to slow the mail down because of the election. I've never been so outraged in my life.
Its not being sorted by hand, it is being trucked to another location to keep the machine there working more hours and to drop the clerk and mechanic positions off the roles at the location where the previous machine was decommissioned

Old 08-16-2020, 04:28 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
My prescriptions were dangerously late this week, like 6 days late. I take a drug that literally keeps me out of the hospital. I know Trump is trying to slow down the Post Office, but this is what happens to us when he messes with the P.O.. I think he poked the wrong bear this time. This is unbelievable.
Its the package problem !!! Online shopping increased !!! People buying a lot of Trump flags and hats !!!

Online purchases continue to increase during the pandemic
https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2...-the-pandemic/

As pandemic pushes on, online sales grow 76% in June
https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/a...online-retail/

Old 08-16-2020, 04:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You know how unions have "work slowdowns" when they are upset about something? Same thing.

I haven't been to a grocery store since March. I do curbside pickup. I may vote in person, but a lot of people don't feel safe doing so. Even Fox News is reporting that 671 mail sorting machines have been removed from post offices and trashed around the country. This is an outrage, and I hope this gets people to pester the heck out of their representatives in Congress. This is sabotage, pure and simple. Every patriotic citizen should be livid.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
I talked to my nephew who works at the Post Office, and he's telling me that they are in the process of throwing out the mail sorting machines. Not just warehousing them, but literally throwing them in the dumpster. So now everyone at the PO has to sort everything by hand, which takes forever---and they did away with overtime, too. These sorting machines have been there for years, and getting rid of them will not save the Post Office money, so the only conclusion I can come to is that they are intentionally trying to slow the mail down because of the election. I've never been so outraged in my life.
Were you alive in 2016 ?

Old 08-16-2020, 04:33 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

Not the same thing. Due to COVID there is no staff. In order to provide tracking and the picture for informed delivery the PSE, that's the newly hired clerk who doesn't know which route an address is assigned to, runs it under another machine at the station level which tells him where it goes.

But that PSE is not available, he is under quarantine, so when "a body" becomes available someone then starts to work on the backup

Old 08-16-2020, 04:34 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Were you alive in 2016 ?
Yes, and if you're wondering, I certainly didn't vote for that sorry excuse for a human being.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:40 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
My mail has been a mess for over 15 years so it has nothing to do with Trump. They are poorly run in some areas.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Looks like all of it will now. Understand the difference?
And this is just one part of the essential structure of our country that may be torn apart by this madman. Who knows what is next? And how much he will accelerate his destruction after he loses the election, but is still in office? Those 77 days with Trump as a lame duck could be disastrous. He is so full of himself, that he now thinks he can do anything he pleases and get away with it.

There are 53 republican senators who are the only check there will be on his actions. How well will they serve their country during this crisis? Pence and the required number of cabinet members to remove him from office, are too spineless to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies