Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote For The Outcome Of The Murder Trial Of Kyle Rittenhouse
Guilty - Kyle Rittenhouse murdered those young protesters 72 19.78%
Not Guilty - Kyle Rittenhouse acted in self-defense 292 80.22%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 03:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,388,201 times

Advertisements

Anyone who's been following the trial,do you know if the prosecution was allowed to show this video of Rittenhouse days before the shooting :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3B_tpccOnw

Edit : they did not show this video.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:06 PM

46,363 posts, read 27,192,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
I wish your conviction over Kyle's lawful actions matched your condemnation of looters and rioters.
Never will happen.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:06 PM

40,967 posts, read 49,289,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
CNN is reporting the jury was allowed to use the empty courtroom to view the clearer video they requested on the large screen. Judge Schroeder cleared the courtroom and told them they could view it as long as they wanted to and could even move up close to the screen.

The defense objected to this for some reason. So much for complaining they didn’t have access to the clearer video. Hmmm

Wonder why they didn’t want the jury to be able to do this.

Apparently they have to view it on the same TV and in the court room as they saw the video during the trial.

Unusual but the rule. They were ruling on if even the Judge could be in the room when they view. I don't believe he can.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:07 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
He was there doing more than speaking out. Too bad you call it "reckless." His opposition to rioting and looting exceeded yours, and he went there to help local business owners protect their livelihoods - you know, so they could eat and their kids could eat.

The real recklessness here was demonstrated, in video footage (which I do wonder if you've seen) by Joseph D. Rosenbaum (who verbally and on camera threatened to kill Kyle), by Anthony Huber (who committed assault as he struck Kyle with a skateboard), and by Gaige P. Grosskreutz, who admitted on the stand that he pulled out a pistol and aimed it at Kyle BEFORE Kyle fired.

The real recklessness was also demonstrated by Rosenbaum, who committed forcible sodomy against several boys; by Huber, who had a history of assault and battery, domestic abuse, and illegal weapons possession; and, of course, by Grosskreutz, who was in illegal possession of a firearm on the night he committed felony assault* and was rightfully and rightly and lawfully shot at by Kyle in self-defense.

You want to talk about reckless? Talk about these miscreants first if you want to say something should be open for discussion.

Otherwise, let's focus on the facts of the case, not on your subjective opinions. You don't like it that some jurisdictions allow open carry? Vote.

*to point a firearm at another person outside of self-defense, even if the weapon is unloaded and even if it is done as a prank or as a joke, is FELONY ASSAULT. And if you've watched the video, you know that Grosskreutz was neither playing around nor joking and did this with the intent of firing at Kyle - whose face was a few feet away.

For Kyle to fire at Grosskreutz at that moment was anything but reckless; it was an example of self-control and marksmanship which men two or three times Kyle's age often fail to reach even after much firearms training. Were you at all familiar with guns and the use thereof, you might understand this.
Great post.

To add: The media has done a terrible disservice with promoting gun marksmanship as easily attainable by any idiot that picks up a gun. It's not. And it's clear that a lot of posters who pontificate about guns have literally no idea how they work or how difficult they can be to use. Most people can barely hit a target at first use.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:10 PM

23,863 posts, read 12,705,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You are mistaken how American justice works in this country this is why so many take plea deals because jury trials are risky. It won't change any Precedence either because it's always been this way self defense is subjective and a gray area because what you think is self defense the jury may not.

There is no such thing as a Non-partisan jury and even worse with the Jury not being sequestered. The only way to be 100% sure never end up like Rittenhouse is don't put yourself in a position to shoot someone in self defense.
No. It begins with the DA, if charges should be filed or not. With all of the videos and witnesses showing and saying it was self defense, it would seem that the DA filed charges for political reasons. Just like as with the Capitol cop, Byrd. No charges were filed against him even though, per the video, he was not in immediate danger when he fired upon an unarmed woman. Political.

Political Jim Crow, left vs right. That is what's at stake.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:17 PM

18,472 posts, read 7,116,146 times
Quote:
His decision to go into that riot at all, much less caring an AR15 is the very definition of reckless. Absolutely stupid.

One could easily say the same thing about the "protesters".

The difference between Kyle and the rioters is that Kyle wasn't given carte blanche to act in a reckless manner by ineffectual Dem politicians.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:19 PM

23,863 posts, read 12,705,334 times
Quote:
I have spoken out many times against the looters and rioters. The difference there is there is no one here defending them so the need to condemn them doesn’t come up. Goes without saying.
Why would anyone here, or anywhere, defend people who riot?

Old 11-17-2021, 03:22 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,660,723 times
Quote:
His decision to go into that riot at all, much less caring an AR15 is the very definition of reckless. Absolutely stupid.
Well, since he did "stupidly" go to Kenosha that night it would have been even "stupider" to go without the AR. Side bar,,,I truly loathe the word "stupid." Knew somebody once that was really fond of using it in reference to me. At any rate no matter how ...ill advised...it was for him to go to Kenosha he did, and this is where it's ended up and the fact of that matter is he was not the one who initiated the confrontation.

Which is all that now matters.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 days ago)

35,707 posts, read 18,065,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Why would anyone here, or anywhere, defend people who riot?
My point exactly. So why should anyone have lots and lots of posts stating the obvious, that looters and rioters are criminals? Goes without saying.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:29 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,338,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Great post.

To add: The media has done a terrible disservice with promoting gun marksmanship as easily attainable by any idiot that picks up a gun. It's not. And it's clear that a lot of posters who pontificate about guns have literally no idea how they work or how difficult they can be to use. Most people can barely hit a target at first use.
The truth of what you wrote cannot be understood by those who never shot a gun. I've been to ranges multiple times and even after getting tips from more experienced shooters as well as those who work at ranges, watching videos, trying hard to control my breathing, and ensuring the said guns were properly zeroed-in, it's still not that easy to hit the correct part of a sheet of paper.

Why and how would it any easier to hit a moving target during an extremely high-stress situation such as that which Kyle was under?

This is why I roll my eyes when I see/read/hear people scream about "why can't police just shoot the arm or leg?" - because it's extremely difficult, and not all police are sharpshooters (and this from a staunch supporter of police). Not to mention the fact that a shot to the arm or to the leg could pulverize the elbow/knee joint and cause irreparable damage. Or, the shin bone or a certain artery which leads to death by hemorrhaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies