Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is anyone else experiencing "racial fatigue"
Yes- it is too much and there are other things in life 161 90.45%
No- we need to be constantly reminded of racial differences 17 9.55%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:01 AM

34,270 posts, read 18,653,587 times

Advertisements

I can no longer watch what the Media calls the "news" any longer as it is 24/7 Racism and Virus panic. I am done with them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 10:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,213,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Housing projects and welfare are not privileges.

You can’t make this up.

Blacks were barred from plenty of institutions in this country that is why Historically black colleges exist and minority scholarships exist.
Did it ever occur to you that Black Culture is toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What is this "default behavior" that you are talking about?

Many societies where people are the same race will find other things to kill each other over. Northern Ireland, former Yugoslavia, even Haiti has alot of internal strife.
Um, I was in Serbia and Kosovo with a film crew from Channel 4 (Britain).

I assure you, they were not killing each other for starter jackets, Air Jordans, or iPhones.

While I've never been to either Ireland or Northern Ireland, I did go through the Northern Ireland Training Course with the Green Jackets before the Green Jackets were deployed from Celle, Germany to Northern Ireland.

They weren't killing each other for starter jackets, Nikes or iPhones, either.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:06 AM

6,494 posts, read 6,706,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
First day of school, one of my kids' teachers opened up with a comment about race, and persisted with that line of discussion for several minutes. In our multi-racial household we don't lead with race. We don't make racial identifiers the first thing, and use that as our interpretive lens for life. Yes, I am fatigued about race being artificially injected into every interaction. It drives people apart, not together.

For society to function, people need to find things in common. If they keep focusing on skin color--the most immutable, external factor--and not on commonalities...where do they think this will go? Will people be drawn together? Or will they revert into their tribes? I predict the latter. America is regressing at an appalling speed.
I can't rep you again (that happens with a lot of your excellent posts). This post is especially good.

You are absolutely right about reverting into tribes. I am feeling less comfortable lately around people who don't "look like me." I barely thought about skin color most of my life, but there's no escaping it now.

And just a few minutes ago I read a post here on CD about two black women in Georgia starting a community only for black people. Back to segregation, hmmmm.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:50 AM

2,045 posts, read 4,565,604 times
"And I've mentioned before, you taught in the inner city. I would expect you would run into some horrible Black people. Ask yourself this. Would you have had been teaching a class full of upper class Blacks in a middle-upper class predominantly Black neighborhood, would you have really dealt with the same issues?"

Yes, think Prince George's County in Maryland. Just one big suburb that's solidly middle class and 63% African American. The school system is atrocious. The kids have no more respect for their schools and teachers here than in an urban setting. The teachers here are not insulated from abuse just because their students are middle class.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:44 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Did it ever occur to you that Black Culture is toxic?
No, because there is a difference between Black culture and underclass culture. And if you are trying to justify denying Blacks the same rights as anyone else, then you have a very reprehensible and morally corrupt way of thinking.

Quote:
Um, I was in Serbia and Kosovo with a film crew from Channel 4 (Britain).

I assure you, they were not killing each other for starter jackets, Air Jordans, or iPhones.

While I've never been to either Ireland or Northern Ireland, I did go through the Northern Ireland Training Course with the Green Jackets before the Green Jackets were deployed from Celle, Germany to Northern Ireland.

They weren't killing each other for starter jackets, Nikes or iPhones, either.
What do Nikes and Starter jackets have to do with the point I was conveying? And why didn't touch on Haiti's internal conflicts?

Old 09-08-2020, 12:47 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
"And I've mentioned before, you taught in the inner city. I would expect you would run into some horrible Black people. Ask yourself this. Would you have had been teaching a class full of upper class Blacks in a middle-upper class predominantly Black neighborhood, would you have really dealt with the same issues?"

Yes, think Prince George's County in Maryland. Just one big suburb that's solidly middle class and 63% African American. The school system is atrocious. The kids have no more respect for their schools and teachers here than in an urban setting. The teachers here are not insulated from abuse just because their students are middle class.
And alot of the bad schools are around the Beltway. The middle upper class Blacks live further away. Alot of Black kids are in private schools to be kept from the kids who spilled over from the worst parts of DC, which PG county borders.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:15 PM

2,045 posts, read 4,565,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And alot of the bad schools are around the Beltway. The middle upper class Blacks live further away. Alot of Black kids are in private schools to be kept from the kids who spilled over from the worst parts of DC, which PG county borders.
Almost all the public schools in PG are ranked in the bottom 50% of the state overall. Actually, the higher ranking schools are mostly in central PG (all along the beltway) and are magnate schools. The high school in Greenbelt ranks in the top 20% but is right off the beltway. I don't think it is a matter of living further away but I do believe you are correct about the private schools. Just for reference, I went from K to 12 in the PG school system.

Sorry everyone for getting off topic here. I'll be quiet now.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:05 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,626,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It seems as though EVERYTHING in the news or on television is about race now. You can't escape it. Even during the weekend golf tournament, most of the commercials had some racial theme or had special segments talking about what the PGA was doing for minorities.

Is anyone else tired of this "woke" barrage of racial oriented information?
I never use the language of the radicals.. like the word "woke". I hate that everything has to be racial. but especially when others use things that they just parrot and don't really know what they mean. when they accuse you of racism, while at the same time being racist. For example "you are racist because you didn't vote for Obama because he is black".. this is racist but they are accusing you of being a racist.. however, THEY are the racist because they are determining that him being black is the reason you should have voted for Obama.

also stupid - people who claim one race cannot possibly be racist because they are the underdog.. this is also bullsh*t.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:20 PM

1,323 posts, read 590,530 times
Quote:
"Privilege"?

When I was in med school, I helped participate in the minority admissions program. There was not one black student admitted that had higher GPAs and MCATs than the lowest scoring white student.

If you are black in America, you are born with an automatic "head start" and lower expectations than anyone else. If you can't succeed with all the programs for you, you are not trying.

This is one of the most chilling things I've read on this forum. When I come across some foul screeds, I sometimes wonder about the poster's profession and if he/she is in a position to harm. I pray your position is in research.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:29 PM

1,323 posts, read 590,530 times
Quote:
"Privilege"?

Black Privilege is:

1. welfare
2. housing projects
3. minority quotas
4. minority scholarships

Quote:
Housing projects and welfare are not privileges?

What the heck are they then? They are free gifts from the balance of the citizens to others for nothing. "The government's" funds are obtained from the citizens.

Why should the color of your skin demand a job or position in a university over someone more qualified? That, my friend, is PRIVILEGE.

So only black people are on welfare and receive housing subsides?

I wonder how you treat patients who you perceive as takers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies