Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 06:29 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The jealousy is thick in this thread.

The check still clears for these athletes whether you watch them or not.
In the other thread on this topic, I said I didn't think my principled stand would mean anything at all to the millionaires/billionaires of the pro sports world, but again, I don't have principles because I am hoping it will meet the favor of millionaire athletes and their billionaire masters.

Yep, their check still clears because most people will keep giving these athletes their loyalty even after being slapped in the face repeatedly. No doubt. Good work if you can get it - play games for a living and dump all over the people actually paying you, and somehow getting them to apologize to you for all of it.

It's a remarkable thing to watch - people literally insulting and harming their own benefactors and somehow coming out ahead for it. I am not jealous so much as fascinated by the psychology of Stockholm/Battered Wife Syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 08:05 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The jealousy is thick in this thread.

The check still clears for these athletes whether you watch them or not.
Where do you think the money comes from? Less tickets, less viewers, less money coming in. There will be some, but baseball lost quite a bit of viewership and money until mark macquire and Sammy Sosa competition, so it’s possible football will struggle as well

Old 09-12-2020, 10:51 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Where do you think the money comes from? Less tickets, less viewers, less money coming in. There will be some, but baseball lost quite a bit of viewership and money until mark macquire and Sammy Sosa competition, so it’s possible football will struggle as well
It ain't happening.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...casts-of-2019/

Old 09-12-2020, 11:00 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Maybe not, but I’m happy my husband quit watching them

Old 09-12-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe not, but I’m happy my husband quit watching them
My wife is happy it's back on - - gets me out of her way.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:52 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Indeed-

Not immediately, but long term, football salaries do depend on fan support. This is why pro-football players are multi-millionaires, while pro ping pong players are not.

Cable companies and advertisers want to reach customers; when viewership declines, so does the value of those contracts.

In the absence of fan support, professional sports has no revenue.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:57 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I heard the NFL fans booed the players’ kneeling and other BLM displays.

I would too!
Enough of this garbage! Too many companies are brainwashed (and I won't patronize any company that supports the BLM) but they will find out too late they make a HORRIBLE mistake supporting a hate group and not caring about America and it's citizens (their former consumers).

Old 09-13-2020, 09:20 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
These athletes couldn't just shut up and make millions to chase a ball? How hard is it?
Being a pro athlete or being wealthy doesn’t mean you give up your rights to speak your mind

Old 09-13-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

I would too!
Enough of this garbage! Too many companies are brainwashed (and I won't patronize any company that supports the BLM) but they will find out too late they make a HORRIBLE mistake supporting a hate group and not caring about America and it's citizens (their former consumers).
I won't patronize anything that you patronize.

Now it's even - - you haven't made a difference. Again.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

I would too!
Except they were not kneeling.

They were standing with arms linked, which triggered the Kansas audience to no end. Its a deep red State so being triggered / offended over nothing is pretty much a way of life.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-13-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies