Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Clearly Republicans don't care about social issues and just want those folks to play games for their entertainment. Not sure that is something that is negative so much about the sports.......just saying.

Republican image -- I pay you lots of money, jump, jive, spin for me and keep quiet.

And young black boys aren't reading some gallup poll.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Clearly Republicans don't care about social issues and just want those folks to play games for their entertainment. Not sure that is something that is negative so much about the sports.......just saying.

Republican image -- I pay you lots of money, jump, jive, spin for me and keep quiet.

LOL
Yes, which is why this might end up being a good thing. If it isn’t short-lived, then maybe young black boys will largely lose interest in sports. Let those people entertain themselves.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:36 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I edited out the inaccuracy. I will take your word on that. Thanks.

I don't think pro-sports is failing. But they will take a hit in the wallet for at least the short term.
It won’t be short term. Most kids learn to watch sports and develop team loyalty from their parents and family. No parent I know is letting their kid watch a political indoctrination rally this year. People will fill the void with finding new interests. Even If the protesters finally “win” or the leagues stop all political messages, then things won’t just snap back to normal. They already lost fans and opportunities that will never return.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 09-11-2020, 07:40 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
The Pro and College sports leagues will suffer. They will blame it on the Virus and alternative media. They will lie and deceive in order to keep their Woke message, but ultimately their revenue will begin to decline dramatically. That will be the reason they may come around, but until then they can and will rot.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Is it possible that some people watch sports to escape the monotony of day to day life like the 24-7 in your face politics and don't appreciate it when sports get too political?
I love sports and I am not triggered by some athlete making a comment. Lot of people look at this year and say "2020 doesn't count" because everything is altered. US Open tennis is played without the star players, PGA golf is a shortened season, MLB is half season, hockey jumped straight to playoffs, NBA jumped to playoffs, many athletes are opting out, some college conferences opted out, and practically all events are played without audience. Season ticket holders don't get to attend. So, for many people it's not a 'real' season.

It seems you are triggered by athletes making comments etc, but vast majority of people are not triggered, because they respect freedom of speech.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:47 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
People who have stopped watching sports will often say they stopped because it got too political. Articles and news reports that focus on the loss of viewership will not even consider that as a possible reason and will explore all other possibilities. Truth is it's probably a mixed bag but politics fatigue plays a not insignificant role in it. Another factor is that people have had to go without sports for months now and many have discovered they can do just fine without it. The two factors probably play off of each other to some degree as well. Learning to live without sports give people less patience for the political preaching.
The biggest factor is that everything is happening at once.

The US Open, NBA Playoffs, Stanley Cup Playoffs, the time strech is Baseball, NFL Kickoff and MLS games all happened on the same night at the same time

You cant watch it all

Old 09-11-2020, 07:47 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

LOL
Nope they are marinated in racist propaganda.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:48 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
The gamblers will always make sure sports has a niche in society. Perhaps not the mega events like the Super Bowl but they will always be there.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Last year professional sports had a net positive favorability with 45% approving, 30% neutral, and 25% disapproving - for a net +20%.

This year professional sports has a net negative favorability for the first time ever. 30% approve, 29% are neutral, and 40% disapprove - for a net -10%.

That is a net 30% drop in one year.
{snip}
That's what happens when organizations hitch their wagons to anti-American Marxist groups who hate law enforcement, promote looting, and want to "burn it all down." It's not rocket science.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:50 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The biggest factor is that everything is happening at once.

The US Open, NBA Playoffs, Stanley Cup Playoffs, NFL Kickoff and MLS games all happened on the same night at the same time

You cant watch it all
Yes you can. People can easily record and watch all they want on their schedule with today's technology. The problem is many people no longer WANT to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies