Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Nobody questions their freedom of speech. Its about doing it during game time. I imagine you, or many on the left, would throw a fit if they started out their game by having a moment of silence for all the babies killed by Planned Parenthood. What they do on their own time is fine.
More purposeful Leftist lies and deception. They know it is wrong to lecture and insult paying fans on company time when people are paying to watch you and be entertained. However, it makes them feel good because they believe the false, Woke message and get off on calling America a racist nation. It is sick.

This is the players and now teams and the leagues raising their middle finger to their fans and is totally player ego driven. Fans are leaving in droves because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 08:43 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Quote:
Nobody questions their freedom of speech. Its about doing it during game time. I imagine you, or many on the left, would throw a fit if they started out their game by having a moment of silence for all the babies killed by Planned Parenthood. What they do on their own time is fine.
I would be totally fine with it.
Again, it didn’t have ANY effect the 60 minutes that I tune in for. I usually start the dvr and watch from the recording so I can skip all the ads. That includes, and always has, any pregame activities.
We gave up our season tix to the Vikes years ago for cost reasons. Mostly because they were charging us full price for the preseason when they were giving it away to new fans.
I can only imagine the cost now that they moved to The Bank. Our tix were on the 45 yard line 2 rows from the field behind the visitors bench. I missed yelling insults at the Packers but I got over it.
I feel proud to have been flipped off on the down low from more than a few nfl pro bowlers.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:44 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The study is not about viewership, it is about overall view of sports as a business sector. They have not been playing, and now they play limited seasons and without audience, so its no great surprise.

Of all sectors none has declined more than the Federal Government (yes, that's your boy who's in charge of that).

As favorability goes, so goes viewership, no?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:45 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Clearly Republicans don't care about social issues and just want those folks to play games for their entertainment. Not sure that is something that is negative so much about the sports.......just saying.

Republican image -- I pay you lots of money, jump, jive, spin for me and keep quiet.

And young black boys aren't reading some gallup poll.

LOL
Ummm………………………………………. . it IS entertainment. That is it; it stops being entertaining when it comes with a political stance/lecture that you do not find appealing. Republicans do care about social issues. However, we do not patronize and support rioting, looting, murder and attacks on the police force. Those are democrat "values".

It is the right of those in pro sports to express their political views. It is our right to not watch them, attend games, and buy their products.

Suppose you purchased a new set of tires which said "MAGA" on the sidewalls. As a liberal, would you continue to buy those tires? Now tires are something you can't do without. Sports are a luxury that are not necessary at all.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
I imagine you, or many on the left, would throw a fit if they started out their game by having a moment of silence for all the babies killed by Planned Parenthood.
No, I think that would be a good idea.

Being triggerd by an athletes opinion is pretty much exclusively an alt-right thing. They get triggered, and then they go in the cancel-mode to protest it. I'm not into that kind of childishness.

In the other hand I don't watch any pre-game activities, I just watch the game. Like NFL, on a typical Sunday, the broadcast begins at kick-off, so you couldn't see it if you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
As favorability goes, so goes viewership, no?
Its hard to have viewership unless you have sports, and this year it has been severely reduced. The reduction will impact the favorability.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:51 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More purposeful Leftist lies and deception. They know it is wrong to lecture and insult paying fans on company time when people are paying to watch you and be entertained. However, it makes them feel good because they believe the false, Woke message and get off on calling America a racist nation. It is sick.

This is the players and now teams and the leagues raising their middle finger to their fans and is totally player ego driven. Fans are leaving in droves because of it.
Exactly right. Pro sports NEEDS FANS to survive. We do not NEED pro sports.

The NFL, NBA, and MLB are biting the hand that feeds them.

Pro sports needs to learn from the experience of the US auto manufacturers. When US cars were of terrible quality in the 70s, what happened? Higher quality Japanese cars ate their lunch.

What will probably happen? People will watch/attend other sporting events, or give it up entirely. It is possible that, despite previous failures, another football league without the "woke" message may emerge. I have always thought that a team made up of local players with cheap tickets and concessions could make a go of it. It would be like hockey on grass, with lots of fights and brawling.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 AM

6,677 posts, read 2,979,818 times
Quote:

Being triggerd by an athletes opinion is pretty much exclusively an alt-right thing. They get triggered, and then they go in the cancel-mode to protest it. I'm not into that kind of childishness.
Oh no , Are you really trying to imply triggering and canceling as a Right thing?

really?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times
Quote:
No, I think that would be a good idea.

In the other hand I don't watch any pre-game activities, I just watch the game. Like NFL, on a typical Sunday, the broadcast begins at kick-off, so you couldn't see it if you wanted.

Its hard to have viewership unless you have sports, and this year it has been severely reduced. The reduction will impact the favorability.
This is what most people see. We normally dont see the pre game activities.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ummm………………………………………. . it IS entertainment. That is it; it stops being entertaining when it comes with a political stance/lecture that you do not find appealing. Republicans do care about social issues. However, we do not patronize and support rioting, looting, murder and attacks on the police force. Those are democrat "values".

It is the right of those in pro sports to express their political views. It is our right to not watch them, attend games, and buy their products.

Suppose you purchased a new set of tires which said "MAGA" on the sidewalls. As a liberal, would you continue to buy those tires? Now tires are something you can't do without. Sports are a luxury that are not necessary at all.
Or patronize a store where the clerks and owner spew propaganda at you before they let you purchase an item or during the entire shopping process. Plus they have signs and banners with false, aggravating messages all over and the employees wear those messages on their clothing so you can not get away from it. I wonder if she would continue to shop there? Progressives are total hypocrites.

Last edited by Pilot1; 09-11-2020 at 09:20 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 08:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It won’t be short term. Most kids learn to watch sports and develop team loyalty from their parents and family. No parent I know is letting their kid watch a political indoctrination rally this year. People will fill the void with finding new interests. Even If the protesters finally “win” or the leagues stop all political messages, then things won’t just snap back to normal. They already lost fans and opportunities that will never return.
I have to disagree, I think its very short term once this is all over and done with, these things will return to normal for the most part.

On this day, the anniversary of 9-11, I am reminded of 2001, when popular events, like the Oscars were cancelled, people were saying those kinds of displays are no longer appropriate...but it didnt take long at all for everyone to return to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies