Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:53 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I love sports and I am not triggered by some athlete making a comment. Lot of people look at this year and say "2020 doesn't count" because everything is altered. US Open tennis is played without the star players, PGA golf is a shortened season, MLB is half season, hockey jumped straight to playoffs, NBA jumped to playoffs, many athletes are opting out, some college conferences opted out, and practically all events are played without audience. Season ticket holders don't get to attend. So, for many people it's not a 'real' season.

It seems you are triggered by athletes making comments etc, but vast majority of people are not triggered, because they respect freedom of speech.
You can freely speak all you like, but if you promote and endorse avowed Marxist revolutionaries, you will suffer a negative reaction from patriotic Americans. Professional sports may as well be supporting the KKK, and putting the names of white rapists shot by the police, on their uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The biggest factor is that everything is happening at once.

The US Open, NBA Playoffs, Stanley Cup Playoffs, the time strech is Baseball, NFL Kickoff and MLS games all happened on the same night at the same time

You cant watch it all
Yes, that too.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You can freely speak all you like, but if you promote and endorse avowed Marxist revolutionaries, you will suffer a negative reaction from patriotic Americans. Professional sports may as well be supporting the KKK, and putting the names of white rapists shot by the police, on their uniforms.
Sure young lady, whatever you say.

You can "cancel" sports all day long. It is your choice.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:09 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The biggest factor is that everything is happening at once.

The US Open, NBA Playoffs, Stanley Cup Playoffs, the time strech is Baseball, NFL Kickoff and MLS games all happened on the same night at the same time

You cant watch it all

No one watches it all anyway.

Lots of people are still laid off, so viewership should be setting records, but it isn't.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
I used to watch sports as an escape from the political chaos that was otherwise present in my life. And, note, I have zero problem with players taking whatever stand or position off field/court/ice. I just have a problem of turning something that used to be unifying into a political spectacle.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:21 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Lots of people are still laid off, so viewership should be setting records, but it isn't.
Yep. With so many millions still laid off or working from home, I'd expect these events to have record setting viewship today.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

The study is not about viewership, it is about overall view of sports as a business sector. They have not been playing, and now they play limited seasons and without audience, so its no great surprise.

Of all sectors none has declined more than the Federal Government (yes, that's your boy who's in charge of that).

Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Sorry, in the long run, the biggest sports are going to come out on top with this SJW woke nonsense. I hate it too but the money is in wokeness and other SJW stupidity.

Think of it as a feedback loop being pushed sports>big media>big corporatism then back to sports. Look at Nike Sept 2018 and their support of Kappernick. The stock went down for a whole 3-4 months. They are back and much higher now.

Smaller sports like Nascar may take longer to recover but the biggies like the NFL will be fine by 2022 and probably 2021.

People must accept that sometimes bad people win. Life is not a Lifetime Channel movie.
Nobody tunes in to the NBA to see what a guy who barely made it out of high school thinks about social issues, the same guy who kisses the feet of the Chinese dictator.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 AM
bu2

I think the NBA will really be hurt the worst. They have the hypocrisy which makes their stance all the more ridiculous. They silenced executives who on their own time asked for social justice for Hong Kong. And basically espoused anti-American values in stifling free speech. Then they come back and lecture us on social justice????

The NFL and baseball are annoying, but the NBA is just a joke.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:29 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I love sports and I am not triggered by some athlete making a comment. Lot of people look at this year and say "2020 doesn't count" because everything is altered. US Open tennis is played without the star players, PGA golf is a shortened season, MLB is half season, hockey jumped straight to playoffs, NBA jumped to playoffs, many athletes are opting out, some college conferences opted out, and practically all events are played without audience. Season ticket holders don't get to attend. So, for many people it's not a 'real' season.

It seems you are triggered by athletes making comments etc, but vast majority of people are not triggered, because they respect freedom of speech.
Nobody questions their freedom of speech. Its about doing it during game time. I imagine you, or many on the left, would throw a fit if they started out their game by having a moment of silence for all the babies killed by Planned Parenthood. What they do on their own time is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies