Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 08:42 PM

15,822 posts, read 6,532,470 times

Advertisements

Climate change is a fire accelerant. It doesn't start the fires, but it makes them grow faster and be harder to put out. Major management changes and budget funding is going to be needed to get on top of this problem. I very much doubt that DJT has the competence or motivation to work that. He'd rather just blame others and hold ego-boosting rallies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 08:52 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Mostly climate change allying with lack of management. Warmer temperatures and drought cause more dry brush to accumulate. Arson is minuscule compared to lightning strikes. I don’t know how they can manage millions of acres of forest to prevent this, best long term solution would be to address the warming planet But for the near future we need to live with massive fires and climate change.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
So what is the reason behind these fires? As we know California hasn't been doing forest management in the last decade because California's Governor and left-wing government refuse to do so. Arsonists have been caught, however the leaders of the Dem. establishment and activists are using the crisis to push faux claims of climate change. So if you believe its climate change, whats your reasoning?
Oh, just one thing is causing it.

That's how the world works....just one cause....well maybe 2 causes, after that most peoples minds shut down.

Seriously though, global warming is not fast acting. This is not some sudden new thing, but rather quite frankly the sad fact that most people are stupid and can't grasp that you sometimes just have extreme years along with an inability to understand long-term trends.

I'm not even denying global warming, just pointing out that you can get these types of natural cycles even without it.

I cannot reiterate enough just how dumb the average person is and politicians use that to full advantage, assuming they themselves know better which is rare as well.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:35 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Climate change is a fire accelerant. It doesn't start the fires, but it makes them grow faster and be harder to put out. Major management changes and budget funding is going to be needed to get on top of this problem. I very much doubt that DJT has the competence or motivation to work that. He'd rather just blame others and hold ego-boosting rallies.
You see though, that's the big catch here.

When you have politicians in the far west saying...climate change for decades...then get a bunch of fires and act all surprised and blame um....climate change and Trump, that's a serious disconnect.

We have 8 years of the Obama administration, did we suddenly learn of global warming in the past few years?

That's the big issue here, a multi-decade issue with partisan politics trying to pin it all on one guy.

I can't believe anyone serious about global warming is buying this tripe for a minute unless hopelessly partisan.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Im from New Jersey and the state does controlled burns through the Pine Barrons through the fire trails. California has eliminated doing controlled burns for God knows what whacked reasoning. No wonder so many idiots are leaving there useless politics and idealogy.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If Trump tried anything, I am pretty sure you will call him a dictator and making it worse... Lol anti-Trumpers and their full of crap BS...
I praised Trump during the early days for trying to help the Coronavirus. I think and still think part of the problem was not going far enough. Not using the Defense Production Act was one. Leaving Coronavirus off-time whether you are sick or quarantined multiple times only at 10 days of work. Essential workers including educators like myself can be subject to multiple quarantines whether it is your own, a co-worker, a student or family member you live with. After the ten days, it is based on just your accumulated sick leave.

This was until Trump started being Trump. Trump being Trump with attacking media questioning him on PPE, ventilators or pressing him on why he is pushing a drug produced by someone that paid his former lawyer for "access to Trump" if he won the election. And this was long before he came out and said he officially downplayed the virus in that Woodward interview.

And mind you I have a few times said Trump did right, but often he goes and either walks back or doesn't go far enough. I said this about the opioid epidemic during his 2018 State of the Union. In the SotU speech, Trump wanted to go after the street drugs. The problem with this is a LOT of people get hooked on the street opioids like heroin or fentanyl because they were on painkillers. Painkillers are also very well known to be sold on the black market and pushed by bad doctors and mark doctors. Yes, the street drugs are a problem but they are a symptom, not the disease. He didn't want to go after the disease because it hurts the pharma lobby.

The fact is Trump has continually been a climate denier. He has continually pooed on a Green New Deal. He wants to produce more fossil fuel jobs. He continues to talk about "Global Warming" not climate change. This is something I hear even from my father and he is a Never-Trumper Republican. He talks about climate change being "natural" and "cyclical." We've heard many cite record snowfall, late or early snowfall, etc. as a criticism to climate change. Remember that Republican Congress critter that brought a snowball onto the floor a few years back? Mind you, corporatist Democrats like Obama (I didn't fully like him either), Biden and Clinton are no better. Far too many people are baked into believe that climate change isn't a problem when it is.

Trump is part of the problem. It is a problem of business leaders that bribe politicians to keep their heads in the sand to keep climate change at bay. It is with politicians who aren't bought but believe fake issues or reasonable explanations like my father's "cyclical patterns" one. And mind you, I wasn't always a climate change drum banger. There was a professor of science at my community college alma mater who ten years ago tried shoving it down my throat at my commencement with my associates degree. I didn't realize it was getting as bad as it was, but I thought that it wasn't the right time to push that agenda. I personally don't think as an educator that any political talk should be pushed onto our students, even in college. Well unless you a pol-sci major or take a pol-sci course, then that is unavoidable.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Poor land management. Poor use of the land.

Look at the history. Fire in the past was a regular thing all over the forests. It's natural.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:07 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Little bit of A, little bit of B, and C hasn't been proven. How can it be when the other two issues are out of control?

Old 09-15-2020, 12:20 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
In order of responsibility it goes

1. Lack of proper forest management.

2. Arson

3. there is no 3.
Actually the 10,000 acre (currently) El Dorado fire was from the pyrotechnics from a gender reveal party - https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/us/el...rnd/index.html

Old 09-15-2020, 02:21 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,728 times
Forest management will only get you so far in preventing fires. If there's prolonged drought combined with arson and/or lightning strikes, it's gonna burn.

I live near some state forest in NC. The forestry service does prescribed burns regularly. In 2011, after a long drought, lightning started a fire. Tens of thousands of acres burned for weeks, clouds of smoke, ash falling like snow, chunks of charred pine bark falling in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies