Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 10:13 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times

Advertisements

Cops should have the right to kill on a spot anyone they perceive as a potential threat to their life short or long term. Do not look suspicious and you'll be alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 10:16 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There was no code of silence in this case that prevailed !!! The evidence was reviewed and made public and charges were brought for accountability as a result of past reforms !!! The cop cameras being worn !!!
What needs to happen is we need a president like Reagan that broke up the air traffic control unions and fired them all and start over with no unions. Union hating Republicans should be onboard with that.

Disband all the police unions nationwide and make the cops stand on their own two feet.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Cops should have the right to kill on a spot anyone they perceive as a potential threat to their life short or long term. Do not look suspicious and you'll be alright.
What is the difference between An American Soldier and an American Cop?

A soldier will die for you and this country so you can sleep safe at night.
The cop will shoot you and anyone around you so he can sleep safe at night.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
If it’s a few bad apples, then the bucket holds about 10 apples.

The issue is multilayered, but the largest problem is the code of silence. I don’t care nearly as much about similar codes in other groups as these groups are not armed agents of the state. IMO, about 15% of cops, shouldn’t be cops and about another 20% lean that way, though 99% follow the code of silence.

Police are a reflection of society on steroids with guns. They are an absolute necessity, but are given such power that the weaker ones get easily corrupted by. I appreciate their humanity, but this a a profession that can’t afford much leeway for error, the way DMV employees do.

Non lethal technology needs to be developed more for sure. People can pay the price in the courtroom, like it should be.
Your "belief" is not factual, thus not supported by statistics.

I wonder how many of these people who think there are tons of bad cops out there, actually know even one personally?
If they did, they might realize that these are decent people who put on their pants one leg at a time.
They do not wake up wondering how many peoples rights can be violated and how many skulls they can crack this shift.
Many do wonder if this will be the last time they see their family and whether they will make it to the next day.

Rest assured I know plenty of LEO's, with some being in my family. Sure they are human beings capable of having a bad day, or feeling irritable due to a medical malady.
While they will typically treat people the same way on a daily basis, every once in a while you will catch them on one of those bad days.
Provided you act normally and treat them with respect, everything will go as it should. However if you mouth off or resist them on the wrong day, like any other human being in various professions, you might find they react poorly.

Remember, just like you get a headache, are sick to your stomach, pull a muscle that is aching, have a cold, suffering PMS, kid is having trouble in school, financial troubles, etc., etc., etc., etc., they will react like any other human being will.
Sure they have training and try to be as professional as possible, but unlike a robot, you give them an attitude on the wrong day, you can expect they will react in kind.

`

Old 09-19-2020, 10:27 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
“Just comply, and there’ll be no issues!”

It hasn’t escaped me that SLC cops have been in the news a lot lately for a whole slew of shenanigans. In any case, this man sustained some pretty nasty bites.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...bite-black-man
He wasn't complying. They don't know if he's about to ambush them or what. Completely justified and they will get off scott free.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:30 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That some still state Philando Castile or Daniel Shaver didn't comply or that Lacquon McDonald didn't comply or was a threat - blindly believe cops are always right. Their minds are made up before and minus facts. Even when cops are found guilty and imprisoned - they're absolving the cops of wrongdoing.
I have pointed this out multiple times on another thread, but there continues to be this erroneous belief that Philando Castile was 100% compliant with the police officer that stopped the vehicle he was in. He was not. I pointed this out to someone who insinuated that Castile was totally compliant with the officer and was 'executed in cold blood.' Of course my response was ignored, and this person continued to infer that Castile was fully compliant and killed for it.

Castile was not compliant. After telling the police officer he had a firearm in the vehicle (as a concealed weapons permit holder), the police officer repeatedly told him to keep his hands out of his pocket, and each time Castile ignored the officer. In such a situation you only have seconds to make a judgement call, and the officer after the third warning where Castile continued to ignore him, made the decision to shoot. There's a reason why the jury did not charge the officer after viewing the video of the incident.

Anyways, in regards to the original topic, the officer is being charged with a felony. I have no problems with that, I've never said that all law enforcement are perfect, and I've posted my fair share of stories of police brutality. However, the majority of police interactions do not end up in abuse or serious injury/death. There's absolutely no reason why people cannot call out bad police behavior, while at the same time calling out those who violently resist police and then get seriously hurt/killed for it.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have pointed this out multiple times on another thread, but there continues to be this erroneous belief that Philando Castile was 100% compliant with the police officer that stopped the vehicle he was in. He was not. I pointed this out to someone who insinuated that Castile was totally compliant with the officer and was 'executed in cold blood.' Of course my response was ignored, and this person continued to infer that Castile was fully compliant and killed for it.

Castile was not compliant. After telling the police officer he had a firearm in the vehicle (as a concealed weapons permit holder), the police officer repeatedly told him to keep his hands out of his pocket, and each time Castile ignored the officer. In such a situation you only have seconds to make a judgement call, and the officer after the third warning where Castile continued to ignore him, made the decision to shoot. There's a reason why the jury did not charge the officer after viewing the video of the incident.

Anyways, in regards to the original topic, the officer is being charged with a felony. I have no problems with that, I've never said that all law enforcement are perfect, and I've posted my fair share of stories of police brutality. However, the majority of police interactions do not end up in abuse or serious injury/death. There's absolutely no reason why people cannot call out bad police behavior, while at the same time calling out those who violently resist police and then get seriously hurt/killed for it.
Castile was legally carrying and the cop was the variable voluntarily entering the equation.
Not the other way around. Castile did not come to the cop.

As is the case in many cop murders, noone would have died if they had not showed up.
Those are the facts.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Well just as I can help shed light on how police should be given the benefit of the doubt since they are human beings, and have bad days just like the rest of us,,,, we do not want those bad days to equate to shoot first and ask questions later.
Lethal force must only be used when appropriate, not just because someone looks "suspicious" and the cop thinks they might harm them.

Lets take the Floyd case for example.
Now that the police video has been released, you can see Floyd was acting erratic from the very beginning, hence the reason a cop had his weapon drawn. Floyd kept disobeying orders to keep his hands on the steering wheel, and with his erratic behavior and lowering his hand, the cop could have shot him.
Fortunately the cop didn't shoot him, but police should always assume a gun or knife is within reach of a suspect and be willing to fire.
The trouble is, that by the time you see a gun and react, you might already be dead.

Anyway, they did not mean to kill Floyd, but his resistance caused them to get fed up and well overdue their submission technique.
So yes, don't resist and you are less likely to be hurt or killed. But we do not want the cops to be so paranoid they start disregarding their training, and shooting people unnecessarily.

Sadly with these assassination's going on, they will be even more likely to shoot first, even if the person is running up to them looking for help.
That is what BLM has wrought upon us all.

`

Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:

'Do you have a license and registration you can give me?'
'Yes, and I do have to tell you that I have a firearm on me.'
'Okay, well don't pull it out.'
'I'm not pulling it out.'

And then he was shot.

He was getting his wallet for his license when he was shot. He was doing what the officer asked him to do.

How did he not comply?

Old 09-19-2020, 02:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
See, now this is an ACTUAL case of police brutality. The suspect was unarmed and trying to comply, yet the police officer decided to use the guy as a chew toy for his police dog.

Unlike most alleged cases of police brutality that turn out to be false, this one is actually legit.
The problem is that too many crazy lefties cry wolf whenever a cop shoots a black suspect, even if the suspect was holding a knife or fighting with the cops, and this 'poisons the well' so to speak, and people become more skeptical whenever claims of police brutality are made because there have been so many false claims.
There are a bazillion actual cases. Tens of millions of dollars haven’t been paid out because cities are in a mood to be generous. SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
But it's the same argument used when white people have been pulled out of their cars by protestors and beaten. It can be OK for one side and not the other!

There are bad in all professions and unfortunately many groups cover for one of their own and NO it isn't right and has to be reformed but it's not just limited to cops. I know of drs who should have lost their licenses - but no other dr would speak up. Lawyers who should have been disbarred - but no one speaks up. Nurses and nursing home employees who are abusive and no one speaks up.

Or let's talk about blacks killing blacks and the neighbors won't speak up because they are scared of retribution - you haven't yet come up with a solution for that.
You’re the one complaining about black on black crime. You come up with a solution. I never said anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If you ever watch "In the NOW" on your phones there are many videos showing the nasty Karens and bad apples in law enforcement.
The amount is shocking. You’re right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
If it’s a few bad apples, then the bucket holds about 10 apples.

The issue is multilayered, but the largest problem is the code of silence. I don’t care nearly as much about similar codes in other groups as these groups are not armed agents of the state. IMO, about 15% of cops, shouldn’t be cops and about another 20% lean that way, though 99% follow the code of silence.

Police are a reflection of society on steroids with guns. They are an absolute necessity, but are given such power that the weaker ones get easily corrupted by. I appreciate their humanity, but this a a profession that can’t afford much leeway for error, the way DMV employees do.

Non lethal technology needs to be developed more for sure. People can pay the price in the courtroom, like it should be.
The cops have non lethal alternatives now. They just won’t use it as a first resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Hmmm, one wonders why the race of the individuals involved was mentioned.

Needless to say it is a rhetorical question, as the media doesn't care when a white person gets abused, but if it is a black person at the hands of a white person, it is potential ratings that will drive the story.
Needless to say most of America is waking up to this rubbish, especially when they see the insignificant stats of number of unarmed blacks harmed by police, compared with the hundreds of thousands of encounters that occur without a problem.

`
I didn’t mention race.

Blacks don’t own the media. Take that issue up with the people who do. Besides, pro cop advocates don’t care if the cops are abusing anyone...white or black. You’d know that better than anyone because you’re one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
He wasn't complying. They don't know if he's about to ambush them or what. Completely justified and they will get off scott free.
Yeah. Troll someone else.
Quote:

Castile was TOTALLY compliant. He was beyond compliant.

And no one said that bad police behavior can’t be contemporaneously called out while praising good police behavior.

The problem is that those who love bootlicking the cops don’t EVER think the cops are bad actors. Especially if the person being abused is black or brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies