Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 09:04 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

What do the least educated states have in common, any guesses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What do they have in common? Everyone is fleeing to them in record numbers...
What you have is people from high earning states (more often than not trending blue these days) retiring to low earning states, where their own money is going further.

So it's a double whammy for the locals.

Imagine this: a person from a 'blue' state belongs to a union (or works for a company trying to keep the union out) and makes maybe $70k, $80k or more per year and diligently saves maybe 10% per year for retirement.

That person's counterpart in a 'red' state with 'right to work' laws makes maybe $40k or $50k per year doing the same job and saves about 10% for retirement.

Then they both retire and wind up living near each other. The person coming from the 'blue' state is living one helluva lot better in retirement ... enjoying it more ... because they have piled up a lot more money during their working lives.

Also, they raised their kids in better schools (those kids getting better jobs), and drove nicer cars/wore nicer clothes on average all their lives.

Now they are retired living in a lower cost of living location, paying their neighbor to cut their grass and wash their cars ... taking advantage of the lower taxes which screws over the local kids. So much winning ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 09:13 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
US states in order from least to most educated:

Mississippi
West Virginia
Louisiana
Arkansas
Alabama
Kentucky
South Carolina
Nevada
New Mexico
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Texas
Arizona
Indiana
Idaho
South Dakota
Georgia
Ohio
Missouri
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Iowa
Michigan
Florida
Alaska
California
Kansas
Nebraska
Rhode Island
Wisconsin
North Dakota
Montana
Maine
Delaware
Wyoming
Hawaii
Oregon
New York
Illinois
Utah
Minnesota
New Jersey
New Hampshire
Washington
Virginia
Connecticut
Vermont
Colorado
Maryland
Massachusetts

US States Ranked From Least to Most Educated
I'd much rather be successful than educated. I spent the day in the middle of Trump land (rural MI), i went to see a friend race his car. There was a line to get in at $20 a head. Once in, there were $100k race cars everywhere, and that isn't including tow and support vehicles. The place was hopping, everyone happy and enjoying themselves.
It was an awesome day of uneducated deplorables having a good time.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:36 AM

2,903 posts, read 993,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When a battleship fires it's cannons at another ship there are something like 2 dozen variables that go into the algorithm as to where to aim the guns such that the shell intercepts the intended target 20+ seconds later.

So, ironically the OP starts a thread about education using how many variables to explain a states level of education? Oh yeah, one. Priceless.

What you are doing in that post would be like walking into a donut shop and seeing a large dog turd with frosting on it in the display case. You note that it needs a little more frosting.

There is no fixing this hillariously ironic dog turd thread about "education" using 4th grade math skills.
It's= it is/ it has
Its= possessive

You've written, "When a battleship fires it is cannons..." in a thread about "education." Is this also an example of "irony" or 4th grade language skills? (How about the misspelling of "hilariously" or the fact that you left out the apostrophe in "state's," even thought that one is a possessive and requires it? It reads as plural currently.)

If I insisted that 2+2=5, you'd tell me that was factually incorrect and probably have some hilarious (and deserved) insults for me. Yet, people use incorrect grammar all the time where the written word is the only form of communication, and simply shrug and say, "You know what I mean." Why the double standard, I wonder?

Old 09-20-2020, 09:38 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
It's= it is/ it has
Its= possessive

You've written, "When a battleship fires it is cannons..." in a thread about "education." Is this also an example of "irony" or 4th grade language skills? (How about the misspelling of "hilariously" or the fact that you left out the apostrophe in "state's," even thought that one is a possessive and requires it? It reads as plural currently.)

If I insisted that 2+2=5, you'd tell me that was factually incorrect and probably have some hilarious (and deserved) insults for me. Yet, people use incorrect grammar all the time where the written word is the only form of communication, and simply shrug and say, "You know what I mean." Why the double standard, I wonder?
But he did spell turd correctly, and that's what counts.
I will remember his post and his name. I won't remember yours. So, who won?

Old 09-20-2020, 09:44 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
A lot of black people?

Serious question, though: what is this obsession with people being "educated?" I wish that I didn't have 150,000 dollars in school loan debt. I should have just become a fireman, like everyone else from my neighborhood.
I live in one of our least educated counties. As I recall in 2014 we were #1 in the USA for the lowest percentage of college educated. Mohave County AZ is mostly Trumpers and has very few Blacks.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:46 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
What do the least educated states have in common, any guesses? What you have is people from high earning states (more often than not trending blue these days) retiring to low earning states, where their own money is going further.....................Now they are retired living in a lower cost of living location, paying their neighbor to cut their grass and wash their cars ... taking advantage of the lower taxes which screws over the local kids. So much winning ...
Or they could retire to Washington DC, where those higher taxes are bound to be used for a better education for the kids.

Washington DC does have the best education system, doesn't it? I mean it HAS TO because the taxes are so high ..... Maybe I'd better look, although I know you'll be right...
(looks it up)

Dang! What a surprise! Washington DC schools are a disaster, equaled only by LA (red) and NM (blue).
Quote:
On a list, which included all 50 states and the District, D.C. was ranked 49th overall by WalletHub. Only Louisiana and New Mexico fared worse.
https://wtop.com/local/2018/07/study...ginia-schools/

(Listener hands Hesychios her own head on a platter)

Old 09-20-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
But he did spell turd correctly, and that's what counts.
I will remember his post and his name. I won't remember yours. So, who won?
Well, I guess you won? Is your prize a frosted turd cupcake? I hope you enjoy it!

Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
It's= it is/ it has
Its= possessive

ROFL. Oh yes. Good poke. If I had a buck for every time I put up a particularly good post refuting a leftist and had them come back at me with a reply that picked at spelling and punctuation I'd have the biggest ranch in N NV.

If I threw in cherry picking one sentence or phrase and labeling me a racist, redneck, Bible thumper whatever I'd also have a damn fine herd of cattle and horses to match.

Hell, I make spelling errors all over creation or my spell check changes what I actually typed. I'm using my phone. My computer crashed.

Yes, leftist types, especially the "educated" ones love being grammar and spelling nazis. I dont care about that so much but the cherry picking rankles me no end. But hey, they're using the examples set by CNN & MSNBC. So the bar ain't set too high.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Exactly what I said earlier. Words are assigned meanings, but people love to say, "You know what I mean," instead of actually saying what they mean.

2+2=5

Old 09-20-2020, 10:27 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
ROFL. Oh yes. Good poke. If I had a buck for every time I put up a particularly good post refuting a leftist and had them come back at me with a reply that picked at spelling and punctuation I'd have the biggest ranch in N NV.

If I threw in cherry picking one sentence or phrase and labeling me a racist, redneck, Bible thumper whatever I'd also have a damn fine herd of cattle and horses to match.

Hell, I make spelling errors all over creation or my spell check changes what I actually typed. I'm using my phone. My computer crashed.

Yes, leftist types, especially the "educated" ones love being grammar and spelling nazis. I dont care about that so much but the cherry picking rankles me no end. But hey, they're using the examples set by CNN & MSNBC. So the bar ain't set too high.
It is funny. A family friend, a legal immigrant from Italy that still struggles with the English language, is a multimillionaire. One that started with nothing, and has no degree.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 09-20-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies